Regent air deviation to Australia total frustration! Imput please!

Today was the first day to book air deviation for our January sailing to Sydney and return home from Singapore. I called at 9 am, was on hold for about 20 minutes and every single flight choice I gave them was not available unless I wanted to pay up to $500 dollars extra per person! We always have done deviation and have never had this problem. The one time we didn't do an air deviation it was a nightmare. Now I have flights on hold, not any of my choices, and on the return the domestic flights are economy unless, you guessed it, I pay $400 per person. I am so frustrated that I wonder if people have had better luck just letting Regent pick or do you just take the credit and book your own. I have seats on hold for the next 48hrs before I have to decide.

We are on trip before yours; I took $8,000 credit. For $6800 per person I have business tickets from Austin (not a Regent Gateway) to Sydney and also business tickets from Sydney to Auckland for my post-cruise.

I always fly Delta or Skyteam partner; not always available with Regent (I was able to get coach to Europe a few years back but business I would have to pay a premium like you are finding). With so few gateways, I have a hard time even thinking about using Regent air; only time it works out is for domestic open jaw flights when I drive to a gateway.

Good luck; you still might be able to find some good flights on your own.

Marc

We always take the credit and either use points or book our own. There is no really easy way to get to Asia from Atlanta so we always seem to be 24 hours in transit no matter how we slice it.

This year we used United points to get us from Sydney on a united partner, Asiana. The route was Sydney to Seoul to Chicago to Atlanta. Service on Asiana was wonderful - far better than the Delta flight we took from ATL to Tokyo to Singapore on the first leg of the trip. We had a huge layover in Chicago so we booked a room at an airport hotel which proved to be the perfect antidote to a long haul flight.

The only time we let Regent book us without deviation was on a Middle East Cruise, Dubai to Barcelona. We had a 12 hour layover in London after an overnight flight from Atlanta, Then a 6 hour flight to Dubai (again over night). Not a great way to start a trip. At least our luggage didn’t get lost!

Today was the first day to book air deviation for our January sailing to Sydney and return home from Singapore. I called at 9 am, was on hold for about 20 minutes and every single flight choice I gave them was not available unless I wanted to pay up to $500 dollars extra per person! We always have done deviation and have never had this problem. The one time we didn't do an air deviation it was a nightmare. Now I have flights on hold, not any of my choices, and on the return the domestic flights are economy unless, you guessed it, I pay $400 per person. I am so frustrated that I wonder if people have had better luck just letting Regent pick or do you just take the credit and book your own. I have seats on hold for the next 48hrs before I have to decide.

Have you researched the cost of doing it on your own, with the flights that you want?

It may well be that the cost of booking your own flights is higher that the air credit, air deviation, and all the upcharges.

If not, then you are probably better off booking your own.

Don't forget, if you take Regent air, you also get transfers.

For what it's worth, I would never let Regent pick for me, I always pay for deviation if I am taking Regent air.

Yes, I know that it sounds like a broken record BUT where is your TA in this? I like to scout my own flights; almost always deviate; often take the credit (especially for domestic flights) BUT I always give my TA a chance (an expert working with Regent and has a "consolidator" on back-up) find a good if not much better flight!

Our preference is to use Regent air simply we like booking deviated air very far in advance and if we book our own air that far in advance, there is a penalty.

I'm surprised to read that the TS is having difficulty with deviated air. Did they offer flights on Qantas? Not sure if they are still contracted but we have used Qantas in the past - non-stop from Sydney to Vancouver. This is the second time that I've read a post about deviated flights and are now wondering if Regent has changed their policy and/or if they are no longer contracted with as many airlines as they were in the past.

From Australia or SE Asia I find it much better to take the credit and book my own. In Europe or South America, Regent air can usually get better prices that I can, soI let them do it. (Caveat: I get "free" air deviation because of Society benefits)

J

I am doing my first Regent Cruise in Nov. from Honolulu to Sydney. I can only speak on this one cruise. I took the credit for the flight to Honolulu as I live in Atlanta and am a retired Delta pilot. i was able to purchase through an employee discount, a non stop flight to Honolulu in Delta One (Business class) for not a whole lot more than the amount of the credit. But returning from Sydney, it was about half price to use Regent's air program. So on the first day available, I called Regent. We are staying 4 days in Sydney, so I wanted a Delta flight from Sydney to LAX then on to ATL. They gave me exactly what I wanted in Delta One from SYD to LAX and First Class LAX to ATL. They were able to do this as they had contracted seats available. It was remarkably easy and no additional charge except the deviation fee. Couldn't be happier.

I am doing my first Regent Cruise in Nov. from Honolulu to Sydney. I can only speak on this one cruise. I took the credit for the flight to Honolulu as I live in Atlanta and am a retired Delta pilot. i was able to purchase through an employee discount, a non stop flight to Honolulu in Delta One (Business class) for not a whole lot more than the amount of the credit. But returning from Sydney, it was about half price to use Regent's air program. So on the first day available, I called Regent. We are staying 4 days in Sydney, so I wanted a Delta flight from Sydney to LAX then on to ATL. They gave me exactly what I wanted in Delta One from SYD to LAX and First Class LAX to ATL. They were able to do this as they had contracted seats available. It was remarkably easy and no additional charge except the deviation fee. Couldn't be happier.

This has been our experience as well!

The problem could be that at the time of this cruise it is school holidays in Australia and NZ. Peak time for flights in and out.

That. is a great point. I've heard similar issues about our November cruise which ends the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend which is likely a very busy travel day.

Am I the only one that thinks that $500 pp exxtra for deviated flights of the OP's choice Florida - Asia is not bad? I agree that one should research fares done on your own, and weigh that. Doing international business air, Regent often comes out ahead. And in this case, even with the extra deviation fees.

We live in Hawaii, so getting to Sydney and back from Sydney is easy for us since we will fly Hawaiian Air. We took the $$ back from RSSC.

Our problem is when we fly to Europe and RSSC wants to fly us across the Mainland Economy. So, we use the deviation and tell RSSC--thru our TA--what flights we want. This summer we are flying to Copenhagen and back from Amsterdam. We told our TA that we will fly from here to Seattle and then on to Amsterdam-Copenhagen, with Delta and KLM. On the way back, it will be KLM and Delta.

So, our TA works with RSSC for our flights.

Hope this helps