Oceana - is she going too?

marylizcat

In all their posts today on the site which cannot be named, P&O keep suggesting Oriana, Aurora and Arcadia as smaller ships which customers should consider instead of Adonia. However they never mention Oceana which is a similar size.

Is this suspicious?

I have to smile that Arcadia and Oriana are considered small. OK, compared to their sisters they are, but they're still large enough for some.

As for Oceana, she's what, 17 years old now? Which means she's the third oldest - Aurora is a month older, and Adonia is a year younger. Oriana is surely only staying around due to her popularity.

Which means, I wouldn't be surprised if they did announce Oceana was moving to pastures new. I just hope they can replace both ships with something more suitable, and not oversized.

Nice to see Cunard are not going up in size:

The vessel will be built in Monfalcone, Italy, and will join Cunard’s fleet in 2022. The as-yet-unnamed cruise liner will join Queen Victoria, Queen Mary 2, and Queen Elizabeth as the fourth member of the Cunard fleet, marking the first time since 1998 when the cruise company had four ships in service. With a gross tonnage of 113,000 and the capacity of 3,000 passengers, the new vessel will be the 249th ship to fly the Cunard flag.

Nice to see Cunard are not going up in size:

The vessel will be built in Monfalcone, Italy, and will join Cunard’s fleet in 2022. The as-yet-unnamed cruise liner will join Queen Victoria, Queen Mary 2, and Queen Elizabeth as the fourth member of the Cunard fleet, marking the first time since 1998 when the cruise company had four ships in service. With a gross tonnage of 113,000 and the capacity of 3,000 passengers, the new vessel will be the 249th ship to fly the Cunard flag.

The new ship isn't going up in size but it could be significantly more crowded.

Space/pax ratio on the new ship is 113000 GT /3000 pax which is about 37.

Space/pax ratio on the QM2 is 149215 GT /2695 pax which is about 55.

(Note that tonnage isn't the ship's weight, it's a measure of the internal volume).

I think I'll give the new Cunard ship a miss....

VP

I think in time Oceana will get moved on, whether it's transferred down under or sold onto another cruise company we'll have to wait and see.

Oriana & Aurora lack balconies even though they have some, i guess there will be a plan in place for new builds to eventually replace them both, it just depends if it makes economic sense to build mid sized or continue the mega ship trend upwards.

I thought that Oceana was still with P&O UK because Ventura could not get into Venice.

Competition is severe in the fly cruise market as well.

Thinks - Carnival might make more profit if Oceana was earning Oz dollars rather than GBP !

Has the maximum size of ship allowed in Venice been reduced ? I ask because we went out of Venice on Star Princess which is a Grand class ship as are Ventura and Azura. It was 10 years ago so I can understand that things may have changed.

Has the maximum size of ship allowed in Venice been reduced ? I ask because we went out of Venice on Star Princess which is a Grand class ship as are Ventura and Azura. It was 10 years ago so I can understand that things may have changed.

They were going to ban all ships but relented to allow mid size ships like RC Vision class 78000 tons which is similar to Oceana and Aurora.

RCI D+. Princess Elite.P&O Atlantic.

We went on the Star Princess finishing up at Venice. As you say it is a Grand class ship ....same size and basic layout to Azura & Ventura. It "parked" right on the front ....near to where the ferries are so was just a hop skip & jump to the centre. I think it was one of the last cruise ships to be allowed to do that. In the evening it slowly cruised round to the official cruise terminal and cruising by Venice with all of the glow of the evening lights was quite magical....an experience that we won't forget and certainly one that can not be repeated.

Dont think they are keeping Oriana because of her popularity but due to the fact that since the day she was built she has had a vibration problem on the ship which P&O seem unable to rectify it so do not think any other cruise line would buy it. At 22yrs old think P&O will run her until it is sold for scrap and IMO wont be soon enough.

We'd be gutted if Oceana went. I do think that she is a popular ship and in August almost everyone we spoke to on Ventura had a soft spot for her. A beautiful atrium - knocks spots off other ships we have been on.

The old Adonia and Oceana were called sisters and they are both lovely looking ships.

UK D+ member.

The old Adonia and Oceana were called sisters and they are both lovely looking ships.

UK D+ member.

They had the glitzy atrium and decor because they were built for Princess cruises and were initially designed for 7nt Caribbean cruises for the American market.

Says it all really. The atrium has the wow factor and ironically on tv adverts they always use Oceanas atrium for phot shots. I doubt they would want to get rid ofa family friendly ship that can sail in to Venice. They need the younger clientele for the future surely ...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Says it all really. The atrium has the wow factor and ironically on tv adverts they always use Oceanas atrium for phot shots. I doubt they would want to get rid ofa family friendly ship that can sail in to Venice. They need the younger clientele for the future surely ...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Oceana looks more like a sleek yacht and is a lovely ship.

UK D+ member.

It would be easier to pass Oceana on to Princess as she is a class they already have. Oriana and Aurora are both unique and they would not fit in with Princess fleet as well. The problem as I see it with older ships is that if you sell them for top money as a going concern for another cruise line to use, it will be a competitor. Scrap might yield less cash up front but may make future trading easier for you and your competitors.

Ship sizes have increased year on year and what will be called "a small ship" in twenty years could well be today's mid-size or even larger.

Regards John

It amused me recently to read a posting from someone on another forum saying they had been on Britannia and were looking at a cruise on Aurora but they'd never been on a small ship before and what was she like! It seems amazing to me that Aurora and Oriana and presumably also Oceana, are now considered small ships.

It amused me recently to read a posting from someone on another forum saying they had been on Britannia and were looking at a cruise on Aurora but they'd never been on a small ship before and what was she like! It seems amazing to me that Aurora and Oriana and presumably also Oceana, are now considered small ships.

If someone had only sailed on bigger ships they would seem smaller.

UK D+ member.

It would be easier to pass Oceana on to Princess as she is a class they already have. Oriana and Aurora are both unique and they would not fit in with Princess fleet as well. The problem as I see it with older ships is that if you sell them for top money as a going concern for another cruise line to use, it will be a competitor. Scrap might yield less cash up front but may make future trading easier for you and your competitors.

Ship sizes have increased year on year and what will be called "a small ship" in twenty years could well be today's mid-size or even larger.

Regards John

Having originally coming from Princess to P&O some years ago I very much doubt that they would want it back.