First time cruising in 1 WEEK!!! Any words of wisdom?

parkesyau

Thanks for all the amazing tips and advice I have made note of a few as I sit here and pack ( or should I say halve my suitcase)

We are very laid back and I plan to relax as much as possible. My kids however will be the ones wanting to do everything and see everything on the first day!! They are even more excited than me. I have a feeling in a few weeks I will be researching and planning my next cruise.

Hopefully the coffee on board is ok I love my coffee! On past Us trips I must say it’s been very hit and miss. In Aus we get spoilt for coffee! Oh well may be a good time to detox coffee

I’ll be sure to do a proper trip report when I have time (most likely when I get back home to australia) and I’m sure I’ll be able to report on those “first cruise” vibes that you have all experienced

Spend some time doing nothing at all except watching the sea go by. Either from your balcony if you have one or from a quiet area on a deck somewhere. Of all the things you can do aboard a ship, this is one of the very few things you truly can not do anywhere else.

^^^^

this! Love my balcony. Often fall asleep watching the ocean and listening to nature.

Here our my words of wisdom, don't try to do everything because you will be tired and will need a vacation when you get home. Enjoy your time away from the day to day events. Don't sweat things that are beyond your control. Plan on having fun with everything you try, the right attitude can make the trip!

Enjoy and have fun!!!!

All great tips. Just two more to add. Don't get freaked out if water slide or other attraction lines are long on that first day on whatever ship you are on. Everyone wants to go on everything immediately. And you may too especially with kids. But ride the slides or whatever a few times that first day if its bad and know that the rest of the week, it will lighten up and mainly be composed or kids wanting to ride the slides or whatever attraction 50 times in a row. lol.

Also, I've heard Coki is really beautiful snorkeling but nuts with people and vendors and a little sketchy. BUT that's what I've heard. We're more low key and chose to take a van from the pier where NCL and Carnival dock to the Sapphire Beach. It was beautiful but much less developed than most of the touristy beaches.

There are no chairs to rent but there is shade to spread your beach towels on the sand. And there is a little bar and grill (and reasonably clean bathrooms) along with basic watersports rental. I forget what they had. There may also be a lady at the condo association along the beach closely guarding and stacking and removing the condo association chairs. That's entertaining to watch. Iguanas in the trees too. Fun for the kids.

The snorkeling was good and a nice reef to the far left on the beach that is shallow but also goes out quite deep if you want. This was our best stop I think last time around out of the ports we visited. It was $8 pp roundtrip plus tip I think on the van and you go with several other people. The vans are readily available so there is no pre-planning needed.

One word of advice. Don't pay round trip here. The van driver will ask you and the 2-3 other groups you are with what time you want to be picked up - and to pay roundtrip now along with a bracelet to prove you are with him or her. He will give you a spiel that its for your benefit. That its hard to find a ride when you want to leave since the beach is more remote. BS. Don't do it. There will be plenty of drivers available when you want to go back. We wanted to go back an hour early and I had to argue with the driver to take us back, even though I told him I was going to pay him for that half of the trip plus tip again.

Just offf Glory and home. Bring a big insulated cup. Deck 10 aft is nice. Above adult pool, but kids can come find you unlike serenity. Plus you are close to the adult pool/ bar if you want to get cooled off.. Take your time to debark except Grand turk and Half moon. Do not waste money on the premium wifi. . My husband had premium and it did not work except in the middle of the night. I have At and T unlimited and was able to use that in San juan and St thomas with no extra cost.since US. Whats app worked great with the social plan but make sure you have the Carnival hub app downloaded before you sail. Make your kids try the kids club at least 1 time. My 12 year old never went. She went by not in and said it didn't look fun.

My advice would be to just relax and enjoy it!!!

We usually travel in large groups, and always bring "newbies" to experience cruising. A lot of times they are hesitant to even try cruising, until they finally do and they love it! One common theme I see with these newbies, is they try to do everything and jam pack their days with a busy schedule. I tell them to just relax and do what they want. For example, if the wife and daughter want to do tea time, let them go and the husband and son can lay by the pool or play basketball. Not everybody has to do everything together. I choose normally to do nothing at all but relax by the pool with a drink special ;)

Enjoy your trip! Keep us updated on what your thoughts are!

First and foremost, just take it all in! There is NOTHING like that first cruise. Second, take lots of pics but don't experience the entire cruise through your phone. Be in the moment. Third, talk to your fellow passengers, servers, and bartenders. That's literally the best part of the cruise, meeting people from all over the world. Have a great cruise!

Congrats on your first cruise! Our first cruise was 26 years ago and we are still addicted!

At some point during the cruise, go to the back of the ship and just watch the ship's wake. The water turns the most amazing shades of blue and it's quite mesmerizing.

Order the molten chocolate cake in the MDR. Trust me on this.

If there aren't any chairs near the pool on sea days, search out the less populated areas. You can find some great private spots while everyone else is packed like sardines around the pools.

Buy the photos. Yes, they're overpriced, but you'll never have a "first" cruise again.

Take a highlighter. Each night you can highlight the things in the Fun Times flyer that you want to do the next day. You're going to want to try to do everything, but I don't think it's humanly possible. And leaving a few things undone gives you an excuse to take another cruise!

Most of all, have fun!

Just go and have fun. Sometimes knowing too much can be a downer. I think that is why you see so many disgruntled past cruisers.

When it is new, almost everything is great.

I think it is called chasing the dragon.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Same here actually! We were in the gulf when hurricane Patricia had just hit Mexico and the sea were rough. That first night and morning were the roughest seas we have ever been through, but it was exciting as heck. I knew I was hooked right then and there. [emoji4]

Ours was Hurricane Dennis in 2005, and it was our last day. Well almost our last day because they had shut down the port of Tampa so we could not enter.In fact, we spent a whole extra day sitting outside the port of Tampa, just rock-n away. As they say "If the boats a rock-n don't come a knocking":o

taking my 5th cruise this coming saturday out of n.o. 2 carnival, 2 royal carribean. pool areas seem basically the same. crowded near pool. i prefer a spot in the shade. always seem to be able to find table under cover next to ship rail. tables are usually fairly big, often share them with other cruisers.

have a great experience!

something that is free. Look for shooting stars. Not easy to see in towns with so much light pollution.

Also, if you tend to get warm, consider a small fan for the room at night. We had one cruise where it seemed warm, from then on brought a fan and have slept fantastic ever since.

things I learned after many cruises : take clothes pins. really needed to secure wet swim suits on clothes line in the shower ( you are not supposed to put clothes outside on balcony like on the chairs to dry- but if you do- secure them very well with the pins- of course I never did that - (liar, liar ) 2) go to a dollar store and buy a night light for the bathroom- that way the full blast of light doesn't blind you or light up the cabin disturbing sleeping of others. I got a tap-on one and hot glued a stronger magnet on the back and put it up on the metal door frame inside the bathroom. 3)Get a collapsible clothes hamper there too. keeps dirties separate and organized. Your children are probably too young to be out and about on their own, but with my grandchildren the carnival hub app helped me find them and get them back to the room. make some cards up with your e-mail as you are bound to meet people you'd like to keep in touch with. write down names of room steward and waiters and bartenders who were good. Its nice to use a name in your ship satisfaction survey. and as everyone says: don't do everything. Take a nap in your room or serenity deck . Naps are a pretty rare luxury when you have a 7yr and 9yr old.

PS: they are a great age for the children's program. I had trouble making grandkids leave for dinner when they were that age. Enjoy.

Clothes pins

pump antibacterial soap and pump antibacterial hand cleanser for the bathroom.

A stick up

Extra ziplock bags to take snacks or breakfast on the go when off the ship.

Kitchen trash bags for laundry.

Little flash lights ($1.00 Store)

A 3 prong outlet ($1.00 Store)

Tape, stickie, sharpie

A highlighter to hi-light the Fun Times and Kids Club Activity’s.

Cabin door decor ($1.00 Store)

Tide stain stick

Travel bottle with Woolite or liquid detergent to wash out swimsuits or stains.

Extra batteries

Ginger candies (sea sickness)

I take our own sand toys. Easy to pack.

A lanyard for your Sail & Sign card.

Don’t feel as if you have to do everything. Set your own pace.

No question is a dumb question.

Review your Sail & Sign balance the last day.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums