• 1. Seattle, WashingtonDepart 4:00pm
  • 2. At Sea
  • 3. Juneau, AlaskaArrive 1:00pm Depart 10:00pm
  • 4. Cruising Glacier Bay, AlaskaArrive 7:00am Depart 4:00pm
  • 5. Sitka, AlaskaArrive 8:00am Depart 5:00pm
  • 6. Ketchikan, AlaskaArrive 7:00am Depart 1:00pm
  • 7. Victoria, British ColumbiaArrive 6:00pm Depart 11:30pm
  • 8. Seattle, Washington

If you want us to help decide on a ship for Alaska, JMO -- Eurodam.

Eurodam has the Silk Den and Tamarind restaurant. It is a larger ship. Pinnacle Grill has windows looking out whereas Amsterdam's Pinnacle Grill is inside with only 3 windows looking out into a hallway.

However the Neptune Suites on the Amsterdam have a larger verandah. The Amsterdam has a tub that has a high edge to get over -- no separate shower. The Npetune Suites on the Eurodam have more closet space and tub with shower as well as a separate shower.

Thanks new to HAL and need help deciding between these 2 ships/ports

The sale going on for Neptune suites for us party of 4 wife and kids teen/tween to good to pass up

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For a seven day, the extra closet space is irrelevant to me. The balconies are perfectly fine on Eurodam, especially for Alaska where you're not going to be using them for extended periods (other than in Glacier Bay).

Silk Den and Tamarind are the selling points for me and would make me opt for Eurodam unless there was a significant fare difference.

If you've been to Glacier Bay before I would suggest the Amsterdam to see Hubbard Glacier (day 4). My DW prefers smaller ships and the Amsterdam is her favorite, but other than for seeing Hubbard again, I prefer the E'dam.

• 5 months later...
If you want us to help decide on a ship for Alaska, JMO -- Eurodam.

Eurodam has the Silk Den and Tamarind restaurant. It is a larger ship. Pinnacle Grill has windows looking out whereas Amsterdam's Pinnacle Grill is inside with only 3 windows looking out into a hallway.

However the Neptune Suites on the Amsterdam have a larger verandah. The Amsterdam has a tub that has a high edge to get over -- no separate shower. The Npetune Suites on the Eurodam have more closet space and tub with shower as well as a separate shower.

I thought the Amsterdam had 6 aft Neptune suites that were shower only...not counting the last 2 which are handicap access suites.

We've sailed several times on the Amsterdam and loved it. The smaller size is a definite plus. My favorite glacier is Hubbard. It's awe-inspiring and the captain usually gets in nice and close. That all being said we're going on the Eurodam for the first time this summer.

Karen

I thought the Amsterdam had 6 aft Neptune suites that were shower only...not counting the last 2 which are handicap access suites.

That is true. We always stay in those aft suites as having to climb into a tub for a shower has become more difficult as we age.

That is true. We always stay in those aft suites as having to climb into a tub for a shower has become more difficult as we age.

would you mind describing those showers? are they like the showers in the signature suites....small & with that cloth curtain or are they larger..almost the size of the tub.. similar to the one in Neptune suite # 7034 on some of the older HAL ships?