Service animals,my service parrot

albingirl

The thread got moved. Apparently someone didn’t “get it.”

Thanks for a fun thread.

Thank you! Franco is all set for another fun day. He's screeching about something or other right now. I'd better go see what he's up to; such a moody pal.

There aren’t a lot of times when I really and truly laugh out loud, but this thread was one of those times. Loved it! Please let us know more about Franco’s desire for a life at sea, or at least a 7 day cruise.

Thank you for a great ending to my stressful day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. Franco and I appreciate that. His latest trick, while he is in training for days at sea, is the art of tossing peanuts in the air and catching them midair. He thinks this is great. I am not sure that trick has any merit. I know he does have great objection to towel animals, particularly birds. I shall have to warn our cabin stewards.

I am assuming that this is not just a joke.

You do not have a service parrot. You have a pet, just like any other pet that provides general companionship.

Trained service dogs are for people with legitimate disabilities such as blindness. You mock the truly disabled by referring to a parrot as a service animal.

igraf

Methinks the OP is poking fun at the people who try to game the system by declaring their pets as "service animals" to avoid paying the pet charge on airlines or to be able to take their pet along on a cruise.

In today's politically correct-charged society, organizations such as airlines and cruise lines are reluctant to call these people out for what they are and for what they are trying to pull. They are the ones mocking the truly disabled who rely on legitimate service animals.

Methinks the OP is poking fun at the people who try to game the system by declaring their pets as "service animals" to avoid paying the pet charge on airlines or to be able to take their pet along on a cruise.

In today's politically correct-charged society, organizations such as airlines and cruise lines are reluctant to call these people out for what they are and for what they are trying to pull. They are the ones mocking the truly disabled who rely on legitimate service animals.

We thank you! Franco, although he makes me laugh and be happy, is truly a comfort pet. His only service, or disservice, is squaking at rude people.

• 3 weeks later...

This reminds me of the thread where someone asked about bringing a barbeque on board so that he could cook the fish he caught off his balcony.

He got several lectures about fire hazards etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I know this is a joke, but it is important to differentiate between a comfort and service animal. Comfort animals are not allowed, while service animals are according to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA). That said, ADA does not allow for documentation to be requested or that the animal demonstrate any level of training.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Great! I'm bring my service skunk. He assists me by clearing all the chair hogs from the pool area. It doesn't take much training for him and he is a fast learner.

Since there has been a serious note added to this thread, I did read the ADA regarding service animals. Animals is a misnomer because only dogs (and in rare instances small horses) qualify as a service animal. Only service animals qualify under ADA. Anyone MAY inquire as to whether an animal is a service or therapy animal but the owner cannot be compelled to show or demonstrate any proof. https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet. Now, let's get back to enjoying the humor folks.

Bill T