Flight from Venice to Montreal (connecting in Munich)

Moon_dance

Hi everybody,

I need some advice if some of you can help! We are taking a cruise that ends in Venice. From there, we're coming back home to Montreal, Canada. But we need to make a connection in Munich (there is no direct flight). We have never made a connection in a european country before heading home. Here are my questions:

- The ship should be in port at 6:45a.m. If the flight departs from Venice at 9:40a.m., is it too early? We have checked luggages.

- When do we pass the customs? Is it in Venice, Munich or in Canada?

- If a 9:40a.m. flight seems too early, what would be the earliest reasonable time to book a flight?

Thanks very much for the advices!

You might have Immigration and Customs coming off the ship, depending on where your ship was previously. Your next Immigration will be a exit passport check in Munich. Then you will have Canadian Immigration and Customs when you land in Canada.

As to making a 9:40 flight...doable, but it is going to be pretty tight. Venice airport is not the most efficient. If you can't guarantee you will be getting in a cab before 7:30, I wouldn't try it. I would book the same flights for the next day, when you have more control over being at the airport at a reasonable time.

Man,,, 9:40AM at Marco Polo after a cruise would be way too tight for me.

Noon flight would make me happier.

Even happier would be Bruce's recommendation to relax, get off the ship, grab a hotel and catch the flight the next morning.

- The ship should be in port at 6:45a.m. If the flight departs from Venice at 9:40a.m., is it too early? We have checked luggages.

- When do we pass the customs? Is it in Venice, Munich or in Canada?

The first thing to do is to ask your cruise line what is its recommendation for the the earliest time for booking a flight. The cruise line will know, for example, whether the arrangements at the port mean that disembaration will start about two hours after the ship docks. If that were the case, then you'd never make a 9.40 am flight.

For what it's worth, when I last had a cruise ending in Venice, none of my group booked flights earlier than 1.00 pm.

You also have to remember that the ship does not guarantee to dock at the stated time. I've had cruises that have been three hours late in docking because of bad weather.

Because the word "customs" is often used inaccurately here, this is what will happen after you arrive at the airport, if you are connecting through Munich: At Venice, you will only have to clear security before you board your flight. At Munich, you will have to clear outbound immigration; in addition, it is possible that you will also have to clear security again but I don't know Munich's attitude to flights from Italy. At Montreal, you will have to clear inbound Canadian immigration and then Canadian customs.

Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate it. And those clarifications about customs, security and immigration are useful! I think we'll look for a flight in the afternoon, it will be a lot safer, but we'll need to make an additional connection. I cannot depart the next morning because of work schedule (but at least I get to travel, right!).

Thank you!

I looked at random dates in June

Air Transat have nonstops from VCE to YUL

not sure what dates you need

also A/C & Lufthansa have non stop flights

I wish we were leaving at those high season dates (for flight availability at least!)... we leave on November 3rd and we'll head back home on November 24th. A/C and lufthansa (and other companies) only have flights with 1 or 2 connections at that time of year. No Air Transat flight, unfortunately. No direct flight so far :(

I looked at random dates in June

Air Transat have nonstops from VCE to YUL

not sure what dates you need

also A/C & Lufthansa have non stop flights

LH doesn't have non-stops VCE-YUL. Any LH flight will make a Germany stop.

I am not seeing any AC non-stops either, in a random search. Limited days per week? If there is some, they will be codeshared with LH, but on AC metal.

LH doesn't have non-stops VCE-YUL. Any LH flight will make a Germany stop.

I am not seeing any AC non-stops either, in a random search. Limited days per week? If there is some, they will be codeshared with LH, but on AC metal.

Well as I said I looked at a random date in June

maybe you looked at other dates

Yes the LH flight was on AC metal

Jun 15 AC Rouge #1919

dep VCE 13:45 arr YUL 16:30

so there is indeed a nonstop flight but unfortunately not when the OP needs it

I wish we were leaving at those high season dates (for flight availability at least!)... we leave on November 3rd and we'll head back home on November 24th. A/C and lufthansa (and other companies) only have flights with 1 or 2 connections at that time of year. No Air Transat flight, unfortunately. No direct flight so far :(

Yes the timing is off for you

You did not mention a date ...sorry to mislead you

I wish we were leaving at those high season dates (for flight availability at least!)... we leave on November 3rd and we'll head back home on November 24th. A/C and lufthansa (and other companies) only have flights with 1 or 2 connections at that time of year. No Air Transat flight, unfortunately. No direct flight so far
On which day are you actually planning to fly back to Montreal?

On 24 November, the day that (if I have guessed correctly) you disembark from Rhapsody of the Seas, I can see a flight from Venice to Munich at 0940 (LH9455, operated by Air Dolomiti's EN8201). But there is no non-stop or direct flight from Munich to Montreal that day. However, on 25 November there is a non-stop flight from Munich to Montreal (LH474).

So I thought that I would check what your plans are. If you're actually flying from Venice the morning after you disembark, then you have no time pressures. But if you're flying on the same day as you disembark, it looks like you'd be subjecting yourself to a 2-connection itinerary when there might be more convenient 1-connection itineraries that don't depart Venice at an inconveniently early time.