Viking River Cruise Amsterdam - Basel

duselling

Hi all! We're on the cruise from Amsterdam to Basel right now. We always arrive two nights early for any transatlantic travel. Otherwise you will be a zombie for the first couple of days (we come from the west coast of the U.S., so lots of time zones to cross). Another group on this cruise planned to arrive on the day of the cruise. Had their flight cancelled because of mechanical problems on a brand new plane. Took two days to finally get to Amsterdam - had no time at all in the city and had to be bussed to the second day of the cruise. Bummer! Don't the take the chance - always give yourself extra days. So much to see in Amsterdam - do pre-book tours for Amsterdam way ahead online. We booked ourselves into Mövenpick. Easy access to the ship with a 6 or 7 minute walk from our hotel. We're on Embla. Love this cruise and so impressed by Viking! We have cruised many times, but our first river cruise. Definitely not our last! Also extended our stay, sleeping in and getting off the ship about 9:00 a.m.- then an easy hour train ride from Basel to Zurich and an overnight there before we fly back to the U.S. at a reasonable time the following day. Otherwise some have to leave the ship at 4:15 a.m. to fly back the day our boat reaches Basel.

Thank you! Your post is making me anxious to get this vacation underway! We will be taking the train from Basel to Paris for a couple of days after, not connected with Viking. This will be our first river cruise, as well.

We're doing this same cruise in April 2019 - including the pre-cruise extension (though we may ditch the Viking package and DIY it). With the extension, you'll have the balance of that travel day, a full non-travel day and then day 1 of the cruise. My understanding is that the boat doesn't leave until late that first night so you effectively have the whole day. As you point out, though, you're spending time checking out of the hotel and into the boat on that last day and there's going to be a daily briefing at or about 6:30pm. If Viking is putting you up in the Movenpick, it should be easy enough to check out of the hotel and drop your bags off at the boat. That leaves you that entire afternoon to do as you please.

Day 1 of the cruise includes a 2hr walking tour of Amsterdam. I believe this is the same tour Viking offers on the full non-travel day of the pre-cruise extension. The list of excursions they sent me did not include other excursions in Amsterdam.

I think that's a fair amount of time to see a lot of Amsterdam. The Anne Frank House, Van Gogh Museum and a canal cruise could be done in one day, really. Depends mostly on much you want to push yourself. Most canal cruises only take an hour.

I would also make a point to see the Oude Kirk as well as the Church in the Attic (aka Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder). The other two art museums on the Museumplein are worthwhile. You may want to invest in an IAmsterdam card that gets you free access to loads of museums. That way, if you only have 30 minutes to spare, you can pop in and pop out withing feeling obliged to make the most of the entrance fee (I know that the fees are baked into the cost of the card anyway but the convenience of skipping the lines for the most part is valuable, too).

When I was last in Amsterdam, I had brunch at Bakers & Roasters (http://www.bakersandroasters.com/). They have two locations and one is pretty close to the Movenpick. Other restaurants would largely depend on your budget and taste preferences.

Did you book airfare with Viking? I'm curious what time you would be departing from Basel. I know it's early to look at airfare for April 2019 but I'm a little concerned that most flights to the US start at 7am or so. Do I want to spend my eighth day getting up at 3am so that Viking will get me to the Basel airport by 4am? We may take an extra day in Basel. We would be doing Basel > ORD. I can see a 1:10 Lufthansa flight that connects via Munich but I don't think Viking partners with them for their fares. Otherwise my best option appears to be a 7:40am AF flight via CDG. Anywho, any feedback would be appreciated!

We are actually booked at a Radison through Viking, and I'm not sure what's near that location, but thanks for the tip on the card and the restaurant! Post cruise, we will take the train from Basel to Paris on the morning we disembark and spend a couple of nights there, not through Viking. Viking did book the return air fare from Paris, but we had to pay $100 fee for the change in air travel. Still a better deal than booking it ourselves. I kind of hate that we don't have the day in Basel to look around, but we opted for Paris instead. Can't wait!

We just finished our Rhine river cruise with Viking. Weather - we had it all from pouring rain and wind to bright sunny days. Just think lots of layer options. Dress is casual on and off the ship. Viking is very helpful with very strong big umbrellas and very well maintained buses for all tours (amazing how punctual every tour was!) Wonderful extra touches throughout the trip. Loved everything about our cruise!

• Thanks 1

We just finished our Rhine river cruise with Viking. Weather - we had it all from pouring rain and wind to bright sunny days. Just think lots of layer options. Dress is casual on and off the ship. Viking is very helpful with very strong big umbrellas and very well maintained buses for all tours (amazing how punctual every tour was!) Wonderful extra touches throughout the trip. Loved everything about our cruise!

Thank you! Hope the weather will be good in June! Glad to know it's all very casual - so much easier to pack that way!

Could you answer a few questions??

What time did the ship leave the first day?

How long are you actually sailing? Seems like most of the time the ship is parked for tours?

Does the ship travel at night?

Did you find it hard to find a place to sit for dinner?

Thank you in advance!!

Could you answer a few questions??

What time did the ship leave the first day?

How long are you actually sailing? Seems like most of the time the ship is parked for tours?

Does the ship travel at night?

Did you find it hard to find a place to sit for dinner?

Thank you in advance!!

Answered your questions in the other thread, but yes the ship sails mostly at night. That one wasn’t in the other thread [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I had contacted Movenpick hotel a few months ago and they told me they don't sell the IAmsterdam Card. I paid the extra had the IAmsterdam card shipped to my home and booked my Van Gogh spot for July 2018.

We did Amsterdam post-cruise with Viking, but did not take any of the Viking tours, so we DIY'd it. I recommend purchasing the IAmsterdam card, which we bought from the concierge at the Movenpick hotel. It includes transportation on the trams, a canal cruise, and admission to several museums, including the Van Gogh where we were able to jump the line as pass holders. We didn't go to the Ann Frank house because I have some mobility issues and I understand that some areas of the house are difficult to access. For dinner one night we went to Indrapura on Rembrandtplein and had a nice rijstaffel, highly recommended, plus you can see the Rembrandt statue and sculpture re-creation of The Night Watch.

• 3 months later...

My wife and I have booked the Viking Rhine Getaway Cruise in late June of 2019. We can't wait!!! I do have one question (so far)... Does casual daytime dress at that time of year include cargo shorts for the men/capris for the ladies? We live in FL and I only own three pairs of slacks as a (thankful) retiree!

Hi!!! Just returned From our Rhine Cruise!!! It was glorious!! It was very casual daytime dress, shorts, tees but slacks at dinner, three pair plenty just rotate!! Capris for dinner for women were fine....

Also from Florida, We found it warm mid July!! Any other questions just let me know !!

HI jJarlath115. Thanks so much! I may get an extra pair of slacks or two, but your info is very welcome. You mention it being warm in mid-July. Curious... it's 93F at 7 PM today near Pensacola. It wasn't THAT warm on the cruise was it? :-).

HI jJarlath115. Thanks so much! I may get an extra pair of slacks or two, but your info is very welcome. You mention it being warm in mid-July. Curious... it's 93F at 7 PM today near Pensacola. It wasn't THAT warm on the cruise was it? :-).
Not quite that hot!! The ship was very comfortable! But not much else air conditioned!! Three slacks are fine you can’t believe the amount of clothes I brought home with me that I didn’t wear !!!:)

Not quite that hot!! The ship was very comfortable! But not much else air conditioned!! Three slacks are fine you can’t believe the amount of clothes I brought home with me that I didn’t wear !!!:)

Also they have a laundry service on the ship that’s quite reasonable !!

We took the same cruise Amsterdam to Basel July 4-11. Most days were in the 80s, but it wasn't as humid as here along the US Gulf Coast. I brought one lightweight sweater and wore it only once, in the evening when we passed through a lock early enough for us to be awake and we were up on the top deck. The rest of the time we wore short sleeves, lightweight slacks and capris or shorts.

We took the same cruise Amsterdam to Basel July 4-11. Most days were in the 80s, but it wasn't as humid as here along the US Gulf Coast. I brought one lightweight sweater and wore it only once, in the evening when we passed through a lock early enough for us to be awake and we were up on the top deck. The rest of the time we wore short sleeves, lightweight slacks and capris or shorts.
so perhaps at Little cooler in June!

Hey 3rdCoast Fan - When in April of 2019 are you sailing? We are sailing on the Herja on April 23. Was wondering if you were on the same cruise.

No, not the same cruise - we're on the Tialfi departing April 6. That's the current plan, at least - I've got a mini rebellion about going now from some of our travel mates and the whole trip could be off. Once I know for sure, I'll get myself added to the 2019 roll call thread.

• 1 month later...
Will be taking a Viking River Cruise from Amsterdam to Basel in mid-August. We fly to Amsterdam on a Saturday and board the river boat on Sunday. They can't tell us yet when we land in Amsterdam because they won't finalize flights until late May/early June, but that might be too late to decide whether to add a day earlier in Amsterdam because a) we'll be exhausted from the flight and/or b) there's stuff to see in Amsterdam before we get on the boat.

Has anyone taken the Viking River Cruise from Amsterdam TO Basel? When did your flight land (and where did you fly from - we're leaving from Chicago)? Did you plan an extra day before the cruise started on Sunday? If you did take the cruise, what was worth seeing along the way that is NOT included in the Viking pre-packaged onshore tours?

We're traveling with some relatives who have never been to Europe so we want to make this as pleasant for them as possible (e.g., give them some time to regain energy after the flight)

Appreciate any input!

Ron

Ron,

I'd be interested to hear your comments about your recent trip. We leave in a 10 days for the same cruise. I'm curious about a few things, which I haven't found answers or info about. For instance, I'd like to know the proposed times for sailing...departures and arrivals. I haven't seen any info, or maybe I've overlooked it. We only have a few things we plan to see in AMS before the boat sails. If we have more than 8 hours, we may try to do more.

Steve

sclewis1 at gmail

We leave in 11 days on Avalon, Amsterdam to Basel. We arrive at 9:30am and we are to be on board the ship no later than 5pm. Avalon meets us at the airport and stores luggage. We plan on doing some touring while waiting to get on the bus.

Ron,

I'd be interested to hear your comments about your recent trip. We leave in a 10 days for the same cruise. I'm curious about a few things, which I haven't found answers or info about. For instance, I'd like to know the proposed times for sailing...departures and arrivals. I haven't seen any info, or maybe I've overlooked it. We only have a few things we plan to see in AMS before the boat sails. If we have more than 8 hours, we may try to do more.

Steve

sclewis1 at gmail

There is a post buried in one of the roll call threads that outlines when a particular cruise would arrive into/depart from a given port. I'm not able to find it right now - and there's the important caveat that times can change from day to day (perhaps even during the day) - but the boat typically departs Amsterdam at 11pm, give or take.

Ron,

Steve

sclewis1 at gmail

We cruised Amsterdam to Basel on Viking Kvasir July 4-11 this year. The ship cast off at 11:30 PM. There was a welcome briefing at 6:15 PM (among other things, told us what the schedule would be the next day) followed by dinner at 7:00, however. We had arrived in AMS two days before, for Viking's pre-cruise extension, so we spent the morning out and about in the city and boarded the ship between 3:00 and 4:00.

BTW Viking offers a "Welcome Walk" at 1:30 and 3:30 PM on embarkation day. If it's the same as the guided walk we enjoyed on our first morning, it's worthwhile as an orientation to AMS. But if you've been to AMS before then you wouldn't need it.

And finally, if you're interested in WWII history and haven't been to the Dutch Resistance Museum, I highly recommend it!

Edited to add - arrival and departure times in the ports along the river can vary depending on a number of factors, so while I could tell you what times we were scheduled to arrive/depart at each port of call, it wouldn't be something you could count on firmly when planning your days in port!