Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

We drove from North of Tampa to Virginia Beach on Thursday and back on Monday for a grand nieces baptism. Although I know Halo is an amazing traveler, he makes me so proud each time we travel.

He was awesome with the crazy hours in the car. So welcomed at the hotel. We spent several hours at my brothers 1920's mansion, my brother and sister in law do not like dogs, but said I could bring him in. They just stop complimenting his behavior. We went to church, he slid right under the pew and even people right next to us didn't know he was there. Then lunch at a fancy, smancy yatch club, he just stayed under our chairs and was quiet the whole time.

And at my nieces house, her 18 month old daughter would smack him on the face and push him and he didn't even flinch. He is not around kids. After I saw what she was doing I put him in a sit stay next to me and she never bothered him there.

Roz, Halo is almost 3 and I already dread his retirement. He is my first service dog. I have had pet dogs all my life. I loved them dearly, but for some reason my love for Halo seems different and more intense.

Linda and Halo

Way to go Halo!! These dogs are amazing. They seem to adapt to any situation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Wex is almost 11 and still working. He's still in great shape and willing to work. Although he is loving his retirement, he will be ready to go to Bermuda in a few weeks.

Wexler is the perfect example of how amazing these dogs can be.....And, I'm hoping that Horton can walk in his paw prints by being so active at 11 years..

Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to start thinking more positively about Horty and me.

We drove from North of Tampa to Virginia Beach on Thursday and back on Monday for a grand nieces baptism. Although I know Halo is an amazing traveler, he makes me so proud each time we travel.

He was awesome with the crazy hours in the car. So welcomed at the hotel. We spent several hours at my brothers 1920's mansion, my brother and sister in law do not like dogs, but said I could bring him in. They just stop complimenting his behavior. We went to church, he slid right under the pew and even people right next to us didn't know he was there. Then lunch at a fancy, smancy yatch club, he just stayed under our chairs and was quiet the whole time.

And at my nieces house, her 18 month old daughter would smack him on the face and push him and he didn't even flinch. He is not around kids. After I saw what she was doing I put him in a sit stay next to me and she never bothered him there.

Roz, Halo is almost 3 and I already dread his retirement. He is my first service dog. I have had pet dogs all my life. I loved them dearly, but for some reason my love for Halo seems different and more intense.

Linda and Halo

I know your pride for Halo is shining so brightly. He really acted well. You're a good handler.

You have lots and lots of good years ahead of you with Halo......I'm just a worry wart!

Potty box training with Scooter is gong decently. Just picked up mulch for the box. He will pee there, no issue. He has been willing to poop in the box on grass, now to move to mulch.

Once we have mulch down, I’ll also work up to fake grass and potty pads. Lots of work, but getting there!

Less than 4weeks from now we will be on Celebrity Solstice!

Is there a web page, or somewhere I can find out exactly point by point, down to every detail what paperwork I will need to take my Service Dog to Nassau and Coco Cay Bahamas (Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas, May 2019)? I have been reading and looking for information and finding bits and pieces here and there but I am scared to death of missing something. I would love to find some sort of list of easy to understand, step by step, hold my hand if necessary, instructions!

Is there a web page, or somewhere I can find out exactly point by point, down to every detail what paperwork I will need to take my Service Dog to Nassau and Coco Cay Bahamas (Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas, May 2019)? I have been reading and looking for information and finding bits and pieces here and there but I am scared to death of missing something. I would love to find some sort of list of easy to understand, step by step, hold my hand if necessary, instructions!
You will need the international health certificate from your vet and the Bahamas permit. Depending on when you are going, faxing the permit is the best and fastest way to go. Regular mail takes a long time. Write "service dog" on the top of the application and it will be free. They will fax the permit back to you.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettravel-bahamas

If you're going to the Bahamas, I'd encourage you to ask your veterinarian to fax the import permit application to the Bahamas number. My vet did mine, and we had the signed permit back in about a week. I suspect the Bahamians look upon veterinarian letterheads as "official" in some way and are more likely to respond quickly.

In some ways it would be nice to have Trooper's relief box on the balcony, but that might not be the best solution for us. He is used to walking a block or so from our condo to his morning pee spot, and later in the day we walk about two blocks before he is ready to poop. (Gives us both a little exercise, too.) We could try and see how it goes. Important thing is that I do not have a mobility disability so am more flexible in my needs than others might be.

In some ways it would be nice to have Trooper's relief box on the balcony, but that might not be the best solution for us. He is used to walking a block or so from our condo to his morning pee spot, and later in the day we walk about two blocks before he is ready to poop. (Gives us both a little exercise, too.) We could try and see how it goes. Important thing is that I do not have a mobility disability so am more flexible in my needs than others might be.

On a 2 week cruise Carnival placed a potty box on our balcony and up on a deck. It was nice to have options, although my friends dog didn’t like the one up on deck. He refused to use it, so it was good we had the one on our balcony. If your dog has never been on a cruise , you may want to have both just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, All. We’re sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale this afternoon on a 10-day New England/Canada cruise on HAL’s Veendam. Raylene’s 8th Cruise.

Nice to have minimal paperwork since all ports this time are US or Canada. Just the 7001 Health Certificate and her rabies certificate.

We’re trying one of their “Lanai” staterooms this time that have a big sliding door leading directly onto the lower promenade deck. Convenient for long walks around the deck.

Karyn RN, two pee spots would be cool! Was the balcony on your Carnival ship separated fully from its neighbors, or were there side panels with 4 or 5 inches of space between them and the floor, as on HAL ships? I wonder about the neighbors' reaction to moisture sluicing under those panels. Meanwhile, Trooper has now been on three cruises (Alaska, Caribbean, Panama Canal) and is used to hiking to the potty box.

I presume those sliding doors have one-way glass so other dogs can't look in and spot Raylene?

Correct, from what I’ve read, no one can see in until night time if lights are on in the room. By then, the steward has closed the drapes anyway. I think Raylene will enjoy watching all the passenger traffic on the promenade. Won’t be surprised if there are other service dogs on board - there were three on our Alaska cruise.

Hi, All. We’re sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale this afternoon on a 10-day New England/Canada cruise on HAL’s Veendam. Raylene’s 8th Cruise.

Nice to have minimal paperwork since all ports this time are US or Canada. Just the 7001 Health Certificate and her rabies certificate.

We’re trying one of their “Lanai” staterooms this time that have a big sliding door leading directly onto the lower promenade deck. Convenient for long walks around the deck.

Have a great cruise Chris!

Have a fabulous time Chris! I do love the cruises when the paperwork is easy.

Dianne

Karyn RN, two pee spots would be cool! Was the balcony on your Carnival ship separated fully from its neighbors, or were there side panels with 4 or 5 inches of space between them and the floor, as on HAL ships? I wonder about the neighbors' reaction to moisture sluicing under those panels. Meanwhile, Trooper has now been on three cruises (Alaska, Caribbean, Panama Canal) and is used to hiking to the potty box.

On Celebrity we have had the box on our balcony. The side panels do not go all the way to the floor - there is a gap of a few inches. We had no problems with the box on the balcony, I doubt if our neighbors even knew it was there.

Dianne

We are also off to our cruise of the Hawaiian islands. We have seven days around the islands and then five days across the Pacific to Vancouver. I faxed everything to the Hawaiian Department of Agriculture last week and they have pre-cleared her arrival. We are flying to Honolulu so all we have left to do is have her inspected in the airport.

Dianne

On Celebrity we have had the box on our balcony. The side panels do not go all the way to the floor - there is a gap of a few inches. We had no problems with the box on the balcony, I doubt if our neighbors even knew it was there.

Dianne

Dianne,

Which ship and When? We will be on Solstice 4 weeks from Friday. We have a standard balcony, but it would sure be helpful!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dianne,

Which ship and When? We will be on Solstice 4 weeks from Friday. We have a standard balcony, but it would sure be helpful!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Barb - on the Infinity in 2016 and the Solstice in 2017. We had a huge Concierge aft balcony on the Infinity, but on the Solstice we had a standard Veranda. Celebrity is very reluctant to move the box, but I was able to convince them it was a necessity for me.

Dianne

Have a great cruise!! Cant wait to hear how the ship is for accessibility. Is is a hc lanai? John and i actually looked at those cruises but we were chicken to try such an old ship.

Potty box training with Scooter is gong decently. Just picked up mulch for the box. He will pee there, no issue. He has been willing to poop in the box on grass, now to move to mulch.

Once we have mulch down, I’ll also work up to fake grass and potty pads. Lots of work, but getting there!

Less than 4weeks from now we will be on Celebrity Solstice!

Barb, so smart to practice. Horton is a genius at using any kind of box and any type of filler. Practice truly makes perfect, especially when it comes to the potty box!