clothing steamer

We were told my managements a couple of cruises ago, that NO steamers are allowed - now I have heard of people still getting them on board - but they are plastic - so good luck if you take one, the worse that can happen is they take it off of you and return it to you when you disembark

I always take my clothes steamer...I never heard that they aren't allowed. It doesn't get hot like an iron, so I don't know what the danger would be.

I'm not sure of the brand of mine. I ordered it off an info-mercial nearly 20 years ago.

We were told my managements a couple of cruises ago, that NO steamers are allowed - now I have heard of people still getting them on board - but they are plastic - so good luck if you take one, the worse that can happen is they take it off of you and return it to you when you disembark

Actually steamers are not on the disallowed items list anymore.

(from the RCL website):

"What Not To Pack

For the safely of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard and will be confiscated upon being found: Electrical Transformers, Coffee Makers, Candles, Irons, Illegal Drugs, Flammable Liquids and Explosives, such as fireworks. For security purposes, we also recommend not packing any valuables (such as jewelry) in your checked luggage. "

We purchased a Steam Buddy a couple of years ago and it works great. But.........we didn't even use it two weeks ago! We've gotten really good with Downey wrinkle release and it works great. Just spray it on, stretch out the fabric and if needed, use the hairdryer to dry it. Voila! :D

You ARE allowed to bring any of your heated hair appliances....otherwise, women would cease to cruise!

That's what doesn't make sense--many curling irons, electic curlers, flat irons, etc...get as hot as a clothes iron...and you're just as likely to "forget" to unplug them....

But, they do specifically state that clothes irons aren't permitted.

You MAY BRING your hair stuff!!!!!

Clothing steamers are NOT allowed...they..along with irons and curling irons are considered fire hazzards..they can and will be confiscated at the pier and returned on disembarkation..I am a FORMER employee and know this to be fact

Oh good grief....curling irons have never been on the "no-no list". Former employee or not, I respectfully disagree with your statement.

The day RCCL prohibits my curling iron or hair straightening iron, is the day I cease to cruise. :rolleyes:

Clothing steamers are NOT allowed...they..along with irons and curling irons are considered fire hazzards..they can and will be confiscated at the pier and returned on disembarkation..I am a FORMER employee and know this to be fact

As previous poster said "they are sold in the gift shop", you are wrong. Times have changed. If you still believe you are right, show it in writing

I know we are to suppost to bring irons on the ship but I was looking into a portable steamer for my clothes does anyone have a suggestion of a brand they have and like?
DD and SIL sailed with us on FOS on Aug. 30. They had a steamer and their bag that was caught by RCI. The bag was held on deck 1 and they had to go down, claim the bag, remove the steamer and give it to RCI employees. They picked it up after the cruise in the terminal. They waited and waited for the bag and finally after a few calls to guest relations figured out what happened and went down to deck 1. People did get notified that their bags were being held but not until later.

I bring a travel size bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release.

DD and SIL sailed with us on FOS on Aug. 30. They had a steamer and their bag that was caught by RCI. The bag was held on deck 1 and they had to go down, claim the bag, remove the steamer and give it to RCI employees. They picked it up after the cruise in the terminal. They waited and waited for the bag and finally after a few calls to guest relations figured out what happened and went down to deck 1. People did get notified that their bags were being held but not until later.

I bring a travel size bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release.

Steamers used to be on the list, but are not now

Royal Caribbean Onboard Policies

s.gif

s.gif

Q: What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship? s.gif

A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that are not allowed onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Prohibited items: Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

(Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows Illegal Drugs Skateboards & Surfboards con_bulletgray_ico.gif Martial Arts Gear Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Personal Alcohol

We had our steamer confiscated on the Freedom this past July. I forgot it was even in the suitcase until my DH answered our cabin phone and had to retrieve our suitcase from the "naughty room".

I usually pack knits and roll them to prevent wrinkling, but my husband's dress clothes are another story. I've found that the ship's pressing services are cheap and convenient, so we use them :)

STEAMERS ARE ALLOWED AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT A COMBINATION OF IRON/STEAMER. During 2009 we were on the Enchantment and on the the Magesty. I did not try to hide them and purposely asked when I was being checked in if they were ok. If not, my husband would remove from my carry on and bring back to car. I was told they were allowed. Even asked cabin steward and both times was told they were allowed.

For some reason people are not being told the same thing. Previously in 2008 on the Liberty it was in my large suitcase that are taken at the curb. I noticed that someone had opened my luggage (probably to see what it was) but did not remove it.

I am a Diamond member with several cruises and have never had a steamer confiscated.

I would bring one. Dont think it will be but if it is confiscated you will get it back.

Not true. You can take hair irons, flat and curling. I for one couldnt survive w/o my flat iron.

I was on the Mariner last July and had a steamer small hand held and it was neither confiscated nor was I told it couldn't be used. I as a previous poster mentioned think some people call an iron a steamer. I have attached a couple pictures of travel steamers. Just do a search for travel steamer. They normally have to be held upright or the leak water all over your clothes.

esteam.jpg.afa28d19047f5728ffa57976c5a16d3f.jpg

samsonite.jpg.f6ec0fb7f1c3b14977c67717bf42bab4.jpg

I was on the Mariner last July and had a steamer small hand held and it was neither confiscated nor was I told it couldn't be used. I as a previous poster mentioned think some people call an iron a steamer. I have attached a couple pictures of travel steamers. Just do a search for travel steamer. They normally have to be held upright or the leak water all over your clothes.

Agreed...I have the gray one on the right picture and have taken in carry on/packed luggage for past 8 cruises on RCL...never once confiscated or questioned by steward.

I just bought a new clothes steamer a couple weeks ago and took it onboard Mariner on Dec. 20th. Funny thing, though, it never got used. We pack in dry cleaner bags and never have wrinkles.

My steamer is all plastic with the exception of the enclosed heating coil, no metal plates or heat on the outside except where the steam comes out. It is quite similar to the one I have actually seen onboard the ship in the general store, both on Radiance and on Mariner. It's less than half the size of those pictured in the above post:

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Voltage+Valet+CS2+Travel+Clothes+Steamer&pf_id=PAOHADEINFHJLNCC&dept_id=3268&mscssid=20Q22N3K91VT9LHDAWJN60JX0B500439

Archived