new cruise, same wardrobe

samandkate

The last time I cruised I put together a great wardrobe full of new sundresses, cocktail dresses, formal night dresses, and bathingsuits / coverups. Everything was perfect and, as a stay at home mom of babies, I don't have occasion to wear those things in my real life. So I would just assume take the exact same wardrobe on my next cruise. This October we're going on a reunion cruise with the CC M&M group we met two years ago. Same exact ship and itinerary. So I'm wondering: do you all have a typical cruise "wardrobe" that you tend to take on every cruise or do you mix it up and take different clothing for different cruises? I feel with the same everything, the cruise will be a little deja vu.

I am very much like you... I too have my "cruise wardrobe" - some of the evening wear tends to be a little more "glitzy glam" than what I would normally wear. I always tend to bring way too many outfits and with each cruise the old wardrobe seems to get bigger and bigger. This time I am cruisng in May (Mediterrean) and I am really going to try and just make do with what I have. LOL Least people think I am spending a ton of dough let me just tell you I am a Bargain shopper. Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

I bet you love your "cruise wardrobe" and have lots of great memories! I am a teacher who looks forward to a cruise every year and I have taken some of the same clothes on cruises that I love. Of course additions to your collection could be your " new " wardrobe for this coming cruise. Changing around wraps, jewelry, beach bag, a different bathing suit will make it interesting. Just getting out my "cruise wear" makes me feel great! Let's not forget DH's Caribbean style shirts! He too has some favorites that have been on many cruises!

Bottom line, if you like it, wear it. If it makes you happy, that's all that matters.

Have a great time and just think, less stress because you have lots of cruise clothes to chose from already!

I will add to mine, but the formal dress will come with me again. It doesn't matter. I always bring to much.This time I am going to try not to over pack, with the luggage costing on the airlines I need to down size my list.

Re clothing..Im 5 ft.9''..and have a bad hip,so it takes time to find suitable clothing..wish I was tiny some days..lol

I tend to pack colors that go together and some capris,palazzo pants,nice sheer jackets etc for photo night..

My closets only hold so much after 37 yrs. of marriage, and I have plenty..:D Also there are security concerns on some airlines now..so we may only be allowed ONE carry~on..

This time we are leaving canada for South America..some windy cold days on the ship near Chile, around the horn to Falklands(walking on shore to see penguins..cool climate) then to Brazil..Copacabana beach can be over 30 C... sooo that means different shoes for dress up nights, walking, pool etc..lots of layers..:)

Rain~ proof lined jacket, too..but thats normal in Canada too..lol

I'd say..pack as if you are going on a land vacation..dont fret TOO much, you want to be comfortable,and dress for the climate..

Enjoy! Have fun!

Maybe to change it up ad 2-3 new pieces. Honestly most people won't remember. I try to keep most of my stuff basic and dress it up with different accents that I find (on clearance!!!). I work at home so no one sees that I wear the same 5-6 outfits over and over and over. That allows for a few new things to add to the cruise wardrobe.

Besides, have fun and people won't notice your clothes!

Who will know what your wore before? Certainly, your hubby won't remember---at least, mine wouldn't!

I don't have a "cruise" wardrobe...I bring my everyday clothes for weather in which I'll be cruising...

You'd be surprised at how little attention anyone else will pay to you--folks on vacation tend to be very "self-absorb" and won't notice if you wore the same thing every single day.

Who will know what your wore before? Certainly, your hubby won't remember---at least, mine wouldn't!

I don't have a "cruise" wardrobe...I bring my everyday clothes for weather in which I'll be cruising...

You'd be surprised at how little attention anyone else will pay to you--folks on vacation tend to be very "self-absorb" and won't notice if you wore the same thing every single day.

I agree with you 100% - half the time I don't remember what I wore....LOL

I agree with you 100% - half the time I don't remember what I wore....LOL

The only time I realize it is when I find I have like 12 photos of myself in the same outfit! :eek: I think it's fine to take the same wardrobe, maybe adding in some new shoes, swimsuits or accessories. Besides, who doesn;t like an excuse to buy a few new things? :rolleyes:

Great input from everyone. But as to above: Oh, absolutely! My only concern about wearing the same thing is that I love fashion and I dress for myself (of course DH doesn't have any idea what I have worn and he doesn't care, he likes me in whatever I wear). What I love about cruising is that I CAN worry about superficial things like what I wear and putting on makeup, etc. I love beautifying before a cruise! :) Probably the only "problem" with repeat wardrobes would be the photos. I guess I'll get my hair cut differently before the trip! ;)

I don't have a separate cruise wardrobe. I spend a lot on my clothes, so why wouldn't I take them on a cruise with me?

Since I live in NYC, I do have things that would look out of place here, downright silly in NYC streets. So those are for cruises, visits to Florida, LA or summer weekends in the Hamptons.

If you're taking the same clothes with you from your last cruise, then perhaps you might want to add a few tops so that your photos look different?

Living in a warm climate I have no need for seperate cruise clothes for day wear, I just pack from my closet. I feel that if you have seperate cruise clothes that you save for a cruise vacation only, you'll wear them so infrequently that the style will be dated after about 3 years, I prefer to get wear out of my clothes. If you only cruise once or twice a year, you have invested your clothing budget rather poorly, so take whatever you wear during the summer months.

I have plenty of clothes for casual night dinner, my second job takes care of that since I wear dresses almost exclusively. So the exception to the rule for me is "formal"....except I don't really dress formal any more, rather semi formal in cocktail dresses. I've gotten a few too many great deals on those the last few months, so I'm hoping I get to wear some of them before they no longer appeal to me ;)

When I shop for clothes I keep a couple things in mind. First I have to absolutely love the piece. Second I want to purchase things that I can wear both at home and when we travel. I tend to stay away from trendy, unless it is something inexpensive I know I will only wear a short time. I tend to also look for quality pieces that are on sale, rather than cheaply made items that won't stand up to many washings.

I live a life that is "forever in blue jeans" ... just the way I want it!:) But it also means that most of the clothes that I wear on cruises are only worn a few times per year. I have some wonderful clothes that seem to go each year and then I add a few in here and there.

I do get one or two new formal outfits each year (I've found that people are less "formal" with each cruise we take).

Enjoy your cruise!! Jan

Living in a warm climate I have no need for seperate cruise clothes for day wear, I just pack from my closet. I feel that if you have seperate cruise clothes that you save for a cruise vacation only, you'll wear them so infrequently that the style will be dated after about 3 years, I prefer to get wear out of my clothes. If you only cruise once or twice a year, you have invested your clothing budget rather poorly, so take whatever you wear during the summer months.

I have plenty of clothes for casual night dinner, my second job takes care of that since I wear dresses almost exclusively. So the exception to the rule for me is "formal"....except I don't really dress formal any more, rather semi formal in cocktail dresses. I've gotten a few too many great deals on those the last few months, so I'm hoping I get to wear some of them before they no longer appeal to me ;)

When I shop for clothes I keep a couple things in mind. First I have to absolutely love the piece. Second I want to purchase things that I can wear both at home and when we travel. I tend to stay away from trendy, unless it is something inexpensive I know I will only wear a short time. I tend to also look for quality pieces that are on sale, rather than cheaply made items that won't stand up to many washings.

I do have to agree with you about not needing a separate crusie wardrobe. But even those of us up here in the northern states still need summer clothing for our hot summers - so we can still pack from our closet.

I don't have a cruise wardrobe nor do I buy new clothes for a cruise. I usually buy clothes during the year that can be worn for all occasions - especially when they go on sale and just pick out what I am going to take from what I already have. I do buy formals on sale (have paid as little as $30 for a formal) as hubby and I do go out dancing a couple of times a year. The hardest thing for me is deciding which formal(s) to take and which outfits to pack.

It's taken me a few years to work on a summer and cooler season cruise wardrobe. I dip into these every once in a while. I add and remove items after each cruise and try not to follow fashion too closely, relying on classic styles. The challenge is always to maintain one's measurements.

If you don't wear these clothes all the time, it feels great 'meeting up with them' again each year or so. ;).

I guess I will tweak my first post by saying the wardrobe that I took on the cruise is not mutually exclusive to my home attire. So while I don't wear the dresses all the time in my real life, I wear them as often as I would have occasion. So restated, the question would become, do you tend to take the same wardrobe, or cruise favorites, to each subsequent cruise? I felt the answers were going down a different path. :) Most everything I got I do get to wear here and I didn't *just* buy it for the cruise, but rather I used the cruise as an excuse to pick up some fun new pieces. Oh and yes, at great deals since I bought them off season.

Thanks for the input! I've enjoyed hearing what you have to say.

I guess I will tweak my first post by saying the wardrobe that I took on the cruise is not mutually exclusive to my home attire. So while I don't wear the dresses all the time in my real life, I wear them as often as I would have occasion. So restated, the question would become, do you tend to take the same wardrobe, or cruise favorites, to each subsequent cruise? I felt the answers were going down a different path. :) Most everything I got I do get to wear here and I didn't *just* buy it for the cruise, but rather I used the cruise as an excuse to pick up some fun new pieces. Oh and yes, at great deals since I bought them off season.

Yes, if I cruise frequently enough that I'm still wearing the same clothes, I'll wear the same things repeatedly on subsequent cruises. Otherwise, the stuff has been worn enough to be worn out. Then, I do buy new shorts and shirts and such, but never specifically for a cruise. I wear what would be considered to be summer clothes about 7 months out of the year.

I'd think that would be regional. If I was living in an area with seasons, I'd probably not buy as much summer wear and I'd not buy new stuff specifically for a cruise, I want to be able to get a good value from my clothing budget.

I stand by my previous response :) I live someplace where "dressed up" is clean jeans and a pressed shirt. My work involves working with animals, so even in the summer, long pants are a necessity. And those work clothes are quickly ruined. So my work wardrobe/daily life wardrobe is separate from my "cruise" wardrobe. I haven't cruised enough recently to tire of my cruise wardrobe though I have sprung for new dressy shoes :) (and being a shoe-a-holic, will continue to buy new shoes every opportunity I get) :)

So restated, the question would become, do you tend to take the same wardrobe, or cruise favorites, to each subsequent cruise?

We don't cruise as much as we used to, and our cruises tend to be a couple of years apart, and since summer clothes have a shorter life span than winter clothes, there often aren't a lot of repeats, other than shoes and a few "tropical" things, that as I mentioned in my first answer would look silly on the streets of NY, so they get very little wear.

I pack from my closet but I ussually end up buying 2-3 new items. I last cruised in November and I realized I wish I had a short black skirt so I bought one for this coming cruise, a new white t-shirt because mine was getting a little old and a pair of sneakers because I lost mine and they were getting very old too. I also bought 2 pieces of costume jewellery on sale (like 3$ each) even if that wasn't on my list. As you can see, except the necklaces, the other things are easily worn again after the cruise.

I would have no problem at all going on a cruise without a single piece of new clothing if I already had all I needed.

Have fun on the cruise!

JUlie

I travel quite a lot and am fortunate to have girlfiends of the same size. We swap clothes - that way we get a new look for no money - brilliant AND also get to wear styles I wouldn't normally consider in an environment where nobody knows me!

Archived