Oxygen concentrator

Redwood10D

My COPD continues to move along:eek: and I am now on full time oxygen (the "2" level setting). I am thinking of going the Inogen route but am open to advice from other users. I have a fall cruise coming up and will want to take something besides my portable oxygen supply and a wagon load of little bottles.

Any thoughts?

Redwood

While we havnt yet cruised with the portable concentrator, we have driven on various other trips with it for my son. He is on continuous rather than "puff", so we need to take several batteries with us when we travel so as to make sure he has enough coverage when the batteries die. For us it has worked tremendously well, we just have to remember to get up during the night to change out the batteries as they recharge during the night (he needs continuous because he also uses it with his bipap machine). Our home oxygen company provides us with the Simply Go by respironics at no extra charge for travel. It comes with a little cart for wheeling it around, or a back pack so it can be carried on its own. Not too heavy, though my husband does carry it for our son because he is only 88-90 pounds and is already hauling his tube feeds on his back if the O2 is needed during the day (higher elevations or when not feeling well). Hope that helps a little?

My husband also has COPD, and needs oxygen. We normally rent a continuous larger oxygen concentrator for the room, and then he also takes along his Inogen G3 which he can use when walking around the ship, and when we get off the ship. This way he has the continuous when he is in the room, and has the smaller POC when out and about. This has worked out well. It saves bringing along oxygen tanks/bottles.

I've used oxygen since 2011 after my open heart surgery. Initially I used a Respironics Ever-Go it used 2 batteries that lasted supposedly 8 hours, never got 8 hours even when new. I wound up having to purchase 12 batteries in order to travel to Rome in 2011 & 2013. Barely last the entire time from Seattle to Philadelphia to Rome with layovers. I now have a Inogen G3 it's lighter and each battery while rated 8 hours last up to 9 hours each. Flew from Seattle to Iceland to London. Only have 3 batteries. Best investment I've ever made. I know that Inogen does have newer models but can't comment on them.

Just to let you know, between now and the beginning of July I have 2 weeks in Anaheim, B2B Alaskan cruises and two weeks in Hawaii. I have never let my respiratory problems limit my travel.

Edited by born2cruize

My husband has COPD and we have cruised with a few different types of rented POCs. He chose to purchase the Respironics Simply Go for a few different reasons. One reason is that it can be used on continuous or on "puff" mode. Also, the batteries are easy to change as they can be accessed from the top of the machine. It has worked well for him.

Before last year he chose to travel just with the POC. That was until we were leaving Florida for a Panama Canal cruise and we would not be back in the US for two weeks. Our next port was going to be Cartagena three days later. The rented POC stopped working using the electrical cord plugged into the wall. It would work on battery power, but not plugged into the wall. It was 20 minutes to sailaway and we were freaked out!!! As the ship was pulling out we realized the fuse was blown on the wall outlet we were using and once that was reset the POC worked perfectly. From then on we have rented a room concentrator from Special Needs at Sea. If something goes wrong with the POC or the room concentrator there is another one available in the hold that can be swapped out, or so they say.

I don't know if you can take the "little bottles" on the ship, and that would be such a hassle. My husband tried the Inogen, but then it did not do the continuous so he purchased the Simply Go. Other than that the Inogen are very nice, but I can't remember if you are able to change those batteries from the top. We also rented an Eclipse and that was inconvenient because of size and I think the batteries were hard to change.

On our first cruises back in 2007-2008 we DID take the tanks/bottles of gas O2 for our son. It was a PAIN, although medical kept them for us so we didnt have to have them in our stateroom. We packed them in large containers and had them labeled specially... but like I said, that was many years ago, before such nice portable solutions were available. We hauled them with us from Idaho in our car (big beast of a van!) so we didnt deal with any rentals at the port city.

If you are planning on flying, you should check with the airline. You have to use an FAA approved concentrator and if you require oxygen while flying, you will have to take additional batteries. As far as “little bottles”, if you are referring to distilled water, the ship's water is pure enough, just use it. If you are referring to oxygen tanks, they are not allowed on flights.

I'm only aware of one shoulder type that offers the continuous flow. The local source provides me with one on wheels that I have to tow. It is light weight so that is not a problem.

Betty

• 3 months later...

I have just been put on oxygen at night only. Found this thread and wonder if anyone can help this complete novice with ways to deal with this issue. Are oxygen concentrators available for rent on ships or would it be better to purchase a smaller more portable device than the monster that sits in my bedroom. Also what about power source since in my experience there are very few outlets on the ships and they seem to frown on extension chords.

Don't want to give up cruising, so any advice/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

I have just been put on oxygen at night only. Found this thread and wonder if anyone can help this complete novice with ways to deal with this issue. Are oxygen concentrators available for rent on ships or would it be better to purchase a smaller more portable device than the monster that sits in my bedroom. Also what about power source since in my experience there are very few outlets on the ships and they seem to frown on extension chords.

Don't want to give up cruising, so any advice/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

You should be able to get a loaner (or rental) portable oxygen concentrator from the company that supplies your concentrator at home that you can take on the cruise. The company that provides my son's large monster concentrator just loans us a portable travel concentrator (his night time rate is 1-2 liters continuous because he is on bipap as well) along with several batteries for the machine, just in case of power failure or if we need it during the day when it isnt plugged in. It is about the size of a lunch size igloo cooler... and comes with its own wheels for portability. We typically talk to our Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider a few months ahead of time, just so that they have his name on their travel sheet for the loaner for the correct machine. Some machines do not do continuous, others have limits as to how high they go continuous. You can usually use these on the airplanes as well, something else you will need to tell your supplier, since you MAY need to use it in flight as well on the way to the cruise ship (talk to your physician to see if he/she thinks that is a possibility since you are needing to use O2 at night).

As for a power source, We have been told to tell the special needs people at the cruise line about our special needs since we too will require extra outlets. (oxygen, bipap, feeding pumps, scooter charging, etc). We plan on picking up a couple of extra outlets of the "safe" kind, non-surge protected. (last time we cruised this wasn't an issue).

Happy Cruising!

I agree with all dieselmama said. We, too, were able to get a portable oxygen concentrator (POC) for travel from the company that provided DH's oxygen at home, and we did have to arrange for it about a month ahead. And I would emphasize again, that having a room concentrator from Special Needs at Sea provides peace of mind.

We bring a power strip and the steward (or butler) has helped to set up the concentrator without a question or comment about having a power strip. They also have provided us with an extension cord when we didn't have one, but they won't guarantee that they will have one available, so we bring one with us now.

I agree with all dieselmama said. We, too, were able to get a portable oxygen concentrator (POC) for travel from the company that provided DH's oxygen at home, and we did have to arrange for it about a month ahead. And I would emphasize again, that having a room concentrator from Special Needs at Sea provides peace of mind.

We bring a power strip and the steward (or butler) has helped to set up the concentrator without a question or comment about having a power strip. They also have provided us with an extension cord when we didn't have one, but they won't guarantee that they will have one available, so we bring one with us now.

Thank you also for your response. Do I understand you correctly, that the special needs department can supply a concentrator for the room? I fortunately only need one for sleeping and this would help reduce luggage.

Thanks again.

Special needs at sea is a rental company (you need to supply them with a prescription) and they will deliver the concentrator to your stateroom. It still would not cover you for your flight if you need it when you fly (I would still recommend checking with your physician on that... airlines generally only pressurize their cabins to the equivalent of 8,000-10,000 feet, kind of like being in the highest mountains of Colorado.... I know my son who does well at 2800 feet during the day DEFINITELY requires O2 any higher than 4500 ft).

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com

I agree with dieselmama: you contact Special Needs at Sea to rent the room concentrator. Contact your cruiseline to ask if they require a specific company to deliver to your cabin (our cruise line, NCL, uses only Special Needs at Sea). If you are flying you may need a portable oxygen concentrator. DH needed a POC for flying long before he needed it at sea level.

I understand the desire to reduce luggage, but we have found it better safe than sorry. To deal with traveling with the necessary suitcases, carry-ons, POC, med bag, etc. we use wheelchair service in the airport and at embarkation.

Thanks for your additional information and confirmation of other posts. I am fortunate that the only time I need oxygen is at night. I hope it stays that way, but you never know so the info concerning flying is good to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Several years ago I was diagnosed with COPD and hadn't started cruising yet, but knew I would need O2 at elevations above 2500 feet. Since we fly often to visit our son in MN I rented a POC from our supplier for each trip.

After dropping $$$ for rental several times we looked into purchasing our own POC. if you fly or cruise often, or just travel to see friends and family purchasing a POC might be a good investment. I am fortunate that my O2 needs can be met with many of the newer, more complete POC models. I have a Simply Go for night use as it can provide the continuous flow I need (.5 lpm) but can go up to 2 lpm in .5 increments AND I can use it for elevations over 2500' on pulse mode which can be set from 1 to 6 Lpm. I just purchased a cute little POC (4.4 lbs) that can run for 6.5 hours on one battery. It is pulse mode only and just has 1-3 lpm flow, but it meets my needs for day time.

We have over 30 cruises now, and many sky miles and haven't had to rent O2. Take a power strip with you! Check the airline you will fly but most have a universal form and requirements. FAA has a list of "approved" POCs, but most of the new ones qualify.

Dian

• 1 year later...

Since no one has posted here for a while, I thought I would post my question. Some of my questions have been answered. But I want to verify some info.

Is the Inogen G3 still available? This provides continuous flow? And we just need to bring batteries?

Here is my original post:

I would love to take my mom on a cruise, and since she doesn’t want to fly, we would probably depart from Charleston, SC port.

She has COPD and is on oxygen 24/7. At home, she uses a constant flow machine. When we run errands, she takes a portable tank and keeps it on 2. She uses a wheelchair, but if she gets out of breath, she changes the setting to constant flow for a short time before moving it back to the 2 setting. On the 2 setting, her tank will last for hours.

She has tried an oxygen concentrator, but it only gives a puff of air when she breathes, and she can’t handle that. She needs constant flow.

My questions for those of you who may have COPD or who have traveled with others using oxygen are 1) if she travels to a much warmer climate, will she find it harder to breathe? And 2) how hard is it to travel with oxygen tanks (assuming that’s allowed) and finding a rental source while on the trip?

Any other COPD tips for travelers is much appreciated!

Since no one has posted here for a while, I thought I would post my question. Some of my questions have been answered. But I want to verify some info.

Is the Inogen G3 still available? This provides continuous flow? And we just need to bring batteries?

I would love to take my mom on a cruise, and since she doesn’t want to fly, we would probably depart from Charleston, SC port.

She has COPD and is on oxygen 24/7. At home, she uses a constant flow machine. When we run errands, she takes a portable tank and keeps it on 2. She uses a wheelchair, but if she gets out of breath, she changes the setting to constant flow for a short time before moving it back to the 2 setting. On the 2 setting, her tank will last for hours.

She has tried an oxygen concentrator, but it only gives a puff of air when she breathes, and she can’t handle that. She needs constant flow.

My questions for those of you who may have COPD or who have traveled with others using oxygen are 1) if she travels to a much warmer climate, will she find it harder to breathe? And 2) how hard is it to travel with oxygen tanks (assuming that’s allowed) and finding a rental source while on the trip?

Inogen’s are all pulse only (G2, G3, and low O2 G4). She will probably need a SeQual Eclipse or something like that if she wants constant flow. DH uses 24 x 7 oxygen on 3LPM, and we have both the G2 and G3 to travel with on cruises (if one breaks have a second one, and yes, it did happen). DH does not have copd, but rather a lung disease, so weather doesn’t affect him. I would look into renting a portable continuous flow portable unit, from special needs at sea or a local company (try it first).

Depending on which ship/Cruise line, each one has a different policy , however they all require a call and/or form to the special needs dept for approval/ information regarding oxygen usage. As far as ordering cylinders, etc, enroute on a cruise, I am not aware of any company that will do this, you would need to bring all with you.

Do you know what liter flow she needs with the continuous flow concentrator? My son uses the Simply Go Concentrator that does both continuous AND pulse dose, it can go up to 2 liters on continuous and can go to a higher level of 6 for the pulse dose. (which of course makes the battery last less time the higher the # on the pulse, as well as the higher level of continuous).

What WE have found for my son is that at our home elevation of 2800 with a dry air, less humidity, is that he does better with less oxygen. He seems to need more in higher humidity type climates, gets tired easier when it is warmer rather than cooler. Not everyone is like that, some are in fact that opposite and do better in warmer more humid climates. (he is missing most of one lung and the other is like someone with emphysema and has pulmonary hypertension). At sea level he typically doesnt need oxygen unless he is ill or it is very humid thankfully. At our elevation he needs 1 liter at night, and 0.5 when exerting himself (walking a lot... gentle walking with lots of breaks like at the zoo he is fine... during the day we think he can do pulse, just now testing it out, at night he needs continuous as he is on AVAPS/Bipap).

I would highly recommend talking with the pulmonologist in charge or the respiratory therapy company to find a good concentrator that fulfills her needs. There are lots of options available with different flows , different weights and portabilities. The Simply Go is nice because it is the size of an igloo lunch box and fits in my son's basket for his scooter when we need it (like for Disney!), it also has a good wheeled cart that is easy to use too. But if it doesnt have the flow she needs, especially if she might be flying, then you may need something different. A doctor can order a flight simulation test to see what liter flow she would need if she were going to fly, and that would be very beneficial to know ahead of time so you know how many batteries and what kind to get.

hope that helps just a little!!!

Thanks for your additional information and confirmation of other posts. I am fortunate that the only time I need oxygen is at night. I hope it stays that way, but you never know so the info concerning flying is good to know.

I also only need O2 at night. The company that I rent my home machine from does not do rentals for travel out of the country. I've rented the behemoth concentrator from Travelscoot, which is another approved cruise rental company. If you do this, be sure to take earplugs as you already know how much noise they make. (My machine is out in the family room as I don't sleep well with that amount of noise.) The machine will be in your cabin along with the tubing. (On our last cruise the backup machine was in the closet.)

I discussed the need of night O2 with my pulmonologist once I went onto a bipap machine. I was told that since it is so expensive to rent, I was ok to be without it for a week. You might want to check with your doctor as well.

I also only need O2 at night. The company that I rent my home machine from does not do rentals for travel out of the country. I've rented the behemoth concentrator from Travelscoot, which is another approved cruise rental company. If you do this, be sure to take earplugs as you already know how much noise they make. (My machine is out in the family room as I don't sleep well with that amount of noise.) The machine will be in your cabin along with the tubing. (On our last cruise the backup machine was in the closet.)

I discussed the need of night O2 with my pulmonologist once I went onto a bipap machine. I was told that since it is so expensive to rent, I was ok to be without it for a week. You might want to check with your doctor as well.

Travelscoot is a manufacturer of and an on line retailer of the Travelscoot Mobility Scooter. https://www.travelscoot.com/ This company does not rent oxygen for cruises. Perhaps you rented from www.Scootaround.com which does rent oxygen for cruises ?