Using onboard shops

louthebowler

Although female, I'm not a big shopper, even less so on holiday, so I don't usually take much notice of the on board shops. My husband likes a nice watch and he got himself a really nice one on a royal Caribbean ship about 6 years ago which was very good value. Our next cruise is on Azura for his 60th and he says he would like his present to be a watch but he wants to look on board which gives me a dilemma. I don't want to get onboard and find they don't have any or are overpriced and then won't have a present for him as his birthday is mid cruise. I have tried to remember what the shops had on board Ventura but can't remember for the life of me and that was a transatlantic so you would think I should have noticed with all that free time I had:D

Any help please, I'm sure there are plenty of shoppers out there.

I haven't been on Azura but I would guess the shops are run by the same companies as Arcadia, Adonia etc.

In which case they could well have Tag Heuer, Tissot, Citizen and others. I really like mechanical (automatic) Tag Heuer watches and in my opinion would make a very nice 60th birthday present. Hope your budget runs to four figures... :rolleyes:

It's worth knowing what the onshore prices are before you buy as they are selling to a captive audience ... but sometimes there are some really good deals.

VP

I think they are genuinely cheaper, but you will also see them in shops onshore I guess? But the best advice is as above. Know exactly what they cost here and what you want to pay. The onboard shops also do promotions at certain times during the cruise, so ask about those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes just returned from Azura and there is a good selection of watches. I bought one which on checking once I got back looks like a 10% discount but perhaps it varies from range to range. Kept an eye on promotions but they were on the sort of watches sold on tables outside of the shop - relatively cheap ones. Those in the displays in the shop weren't subject to a sale or promotion - and as I wanted one I was keeping an eye on them!! But I'm sure you would find something - there is quite a good range available.

I agree with previous posters, you should find a lovely watch on board.

My husband loves looking round the watches and has bought a number over the years on different P&O ships. Two of the nicest are by Michael Kors which are really unusual ones. They weren't expensive - both around £150-£170. I did see a rather nice evening watch, all gold, which was around £500, but unfortunately I can't remember the make. It does prove that if you do want a slightly more expensive one they do exist on board.

Have fun choosing. :)

I haven't been on Azura but I would guess the shops are run by the same companies as Arcadia, Adonia etc.

In which case they could well have Tag Heuer, Tissot, Citizen and others. I really like mechanical (automatic) Tag Heuer watches and in my opinion would make a very nice 60th birthday present. Hope your budget runs to four figures... :rolleyes:

It's worth knowing what the onshore prices are before you buy as they are selling to a captive audience ... but sometimes there are some really good deals.

VP

no way is he getting a watch that runs into four figures, even he would have to admit that we could have another cruise instead! I'm looking more at the £200-£300 price range. If he wants a dearer one, he can stay home next time and I will go away:D

Its good to know there are plenty of choices on the ship, and depending on how he behaves his present can be a nice watch or one of the £10 sale watches.

no way is he getting a watch that runs into four figures, even he would have to admit that we could have another cruise instead! I'm looking more at the £200-£300 price range. If he wants a dearer one, he can stay home next time and I will go away:D

Its good to know there are plenty of choices on the ship, and depending on how he behaves his present can be a nice watch or one of the £10 sale watches.

You could get a nice Citizen solar watch for cheaper than the £200-£300 range quoted. Last year on the Azura Gents Accurist watches with nice bracelets (without batteries) were sold on a table top sale in the Atrium very cheaply. A watch that would normally be around £120 was being sold for £20. A bargain if Mr louthebowler misbehaves.

I love watches but my wife thinks spending anything over £20 is a complete waste as "you only need a watch to tell the time". I have an expensive watch but she has idea how much it cost LOL.

Skagen watches (from Denmark) are very attractive, good value (IMHO) and in the kind of price bracket you mention. I think they sometimes have them on P&O. Hubby bought me one as a pressie a couple of years ago (not on a cruise). I particularly like them as they are not too big, a lot of watches now have very big faces. So far it's wearing well and has been admired several times. They have a website if you want an idea of the styles and prices.

Skagen watches (from Denmark) are very attractive, good value (IMHO) and in the kind of price bracket you mention. I think they sometimes have them on P&O.

My wife who has a couple of them noticed they sold them on the last cruise we were on.

She also noticed they were substantially more expensive than John Lewis where she had just bought one.

My OH bought me a TAG watch on Britannia which worked out less than local shops away and at home.

Recently back from Azura and the shops had a good range of watches to suit many pockets. Have an idea of some prices prior to going and then bear in mind that P&O do a "price match" with many ports of call. So even Gibraltar's prices can be matched and then you will still get your Discount according to your Peninsular Tier status.

Although female, I'm not a big shopper, even less so on holiday, so I don't usually take much notice of the on board shops. My husband likes a nice watch and he got himself a really nice one on a royal Caribbean ship about 6 years ago which was very good value. Our next cruise is on Azura for his 60th and he says he would like his present to be a watch but he wants to look on board which gives me a dilemma. I don't want to get onboard and find they don't have any or are overpriced and then won't have a present for him as his birthday is mid cruise. I have tried to remember what the shops had on board Ventura but can't remember for the life of me and that was a transatlantic so you would think I should have noticed with all that free time I had:D

Any help please, I'm sure there are plenty of shoppers out there.

Hi there is certainly Michael Kors watches men's and ladies and they are roughy the same price as in the UK.

Mrs Blue Sky

Bought both my Tag watches from their shops at Cheshire Oaks (McArthur Glen designer outlet) in Chester both were 50% off retail price and far better value than any cruise ship or prices abroad. Have a passion for expensive watches and while looking in Gibraltar in one jeweller's after lengthy conversation and checking prices online with comparable UK jewellers he beat those prices but when I mentioned either "smuggling" it through customs with being over duty free allowance or declaring it and paying appropriate taxes he agreed he could only compete if I risked going through the green channel and hope to not get caught.