Bumped/Dumped off of RCCL Vision of Seas

We have been dumped by RCCL on our August 30, 2018, cruise aboard the Vision of the Seas. Apparently, they

have chartered the entire ship and left us adrift. We have been given two sail dates to choose from, the problem for my

husband and I is the selection of cabins are less than what we have sailed in the past. We were in an Owners Suite and have sailed past cruises in the Royal Suite. We aren't willing to accept at best a Jr. suite or an ocean view room on the two sail dates that are offered.

Our other option is a refund. What really angers me is that RCCL is offering a 30% discount plus a few other trinkets on two dates but won't give us even the same price or better on other dates. Cruising for us isn't just the ports of call but enjoying a nice suite with all the amenities. We are both Diamond members for what that's worth.

I feel that we have been baited and switched. When I brought that up to the agent on the phone she got very testy with me and told me that if I was going to use "legal terms" the conversation was over.

Any suggestions on how we can obtain an acceptable cruise and a suite that works for us and still pay the rate that we originally paid last year?

We have been dumped by RCCL on our August 30, 2018, cruise aboard the Vision of the Seas. Apparently, they

have chartered the entire ship and left us adrift. We have been given two sail dates to choose from, the problem for my

husband and I is the selection of cabins are less than what we have sailed in the past. We were in an Owners Suite and have sailed past cruises in the Royal Suite. We aren't willing to accept at best a Jr. suite or an ocean view room on the two sail dates that are offered.

Our other option is a refund. What really angers me is that RCCL is offering a 30% discount plus a few other trinkets on two dates but won't give us even the same price or better on other dates. Cruising for us isn't just the ports of call but enjoying a nice suite with all the amenities. We are both Diamond members for what that's worth.

I feel that we have been baited and switched. When I brought that up to the agent on the phone she got very testy with me and told me that if I was going to use "legal terms" the conversation was over.

Any suggestions on how we can obtain an acceptable cruise and a suite that works for us and still pay the rate that we originally paid last year?

An email to the president has worked for some: mbayley@rccl.com.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been bumped off the same cruise.

Unfortunate timing, as the email arrived two days after my wife and I booked return flights to Barcelona from London, and a hotel for the night before the cruise. These are paid for and cannot be cancelled. There are no other suitable RCI cruises so we will have to cancel the cruise and won't be refunded the cost of the flights and hotel.

I'm hoping that RCI will give us some compensation towards the additional expenses, as we have entered the period within which people could reasonably be expected to book flights etc. Not sure I hold out much hope of that, having read about the experiences of others.

OP, suggest in the future you use another term for title - many take "bumped" in a different context. Yours is a fairly common charter situation.

Agreed. Sounded like they showed up at the pier and were not allowed to board which is totally not the case. To the OP - while this is unfortunate, at least you are out of pocket nothing unlike the other poster who had already purchased air/hotel.

• Like 2

There is no bait and switch. So your cruise got cancelled, it happens. Our TransPacific cruise booked for 2019 got cancelled too. The rate you booked at has nothing to do with the rate of any replacement cruise, it only determines how much credit you will get to apply to another cruise. Royal only offered a 20% credit for the replacement cruise and even with that credit, the replacement was more than double in price. We got a 10% credit for booking any other cruise and found a TransAtlantic instead and are getting a better “per night” rate than the cancelled cruise. Did they not offer you a lesser credit for other dates or ships? If so, just keep looking. You are bound to find something in the same price range.

Unfortunate timing, as the email arrived two days after my wife and I booked return flights to Barcelona from London, and a hotel for the night before the cruise. These are paid for and cannot be cancelled. There are no other suitable RCI cruises so we will have to cancel the cruise and won't be refunded the cost of the flights and hotel.

I'm hoping that RCI will give us some compensation towards the additional expenses, as we have entered the period within which people could reasonably be expected to book flights etc. Not sure I hold out much hope of that, having read about the experiences of others.

It's worth checking with your credit card company to see if they have included travel protections that would reimburse you these expenses!

• Like 1

We had one of our cruises cancelled due to charter. Although we didn't select one of the couple cruises they offered, we changed to a totally different cruise and they still provided us a credit toward that cruise. Try calling and speak to someone about your options.

Once again, OP is asking for advice and receives several snarky, uncalled for replies. How about everyone on here following the Golden Rule and treat others the way you want to be treated, it's really not asking too much.

I don't believe anyone was being snarky. OP started off with a title saying they were "bumped" from their cruise. They were not. Then they claimed to be a victim of "bait and switch". They were not. They insist on a replacement cruise at the same level (only so many OSs available) at the same price. Some cruises are just more expensive than others depending on dates. E.g., a cruise the first week in December is going to be a lot less than the same cruise over the holidays a few weeks later. To date, the OP is out nothing. I feel the responses to the poster who is actually out airfare/hotel were quite helpful and respectful.

• Thanks 1

In the past they've only compensated air if you change to another cruise on a different date with them. If not, I'd suggest going to your travel insurance.

Once again, OP is asking for advice and receives several snarky, uncalled for replies. How about everyone on here following the Golden Rule and treat others the way you want to be treated, it's really not asking too much.
Dilly Dilly!!

It sucks being "bumped" for a charter

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

We were booked on the June sailing of VOTS, and had our booking canceled as well. We, fortunately, had not booked flights or hotels - but the dates of the cruise we were offered discounts for were not at times we could sail. I will wait until after our cruise in July to decide whether we will sail with RCI again or not. I seriously considered canceling and moving to another cruise line. I have found RCI to be unfriendly, and little understanding of how the changes affect customers - and seriously lacking in the area of compensation.

• Like 1

We were booked on the June sailing of VOTS, and had our booking canceled as well. We, fortunately, had not booked flights or hotels - but the dates of the cruise we were offered discounts for were not at times we could sail. I will wait until after our cruise in July to decide whether we will sail with RCI again or not. I seriously considered canceling and moving to another cruise line. I have found RCI to be unfriendly, and little understanding of how the changes affect customers - and seriously lacking in the area of compensation.

Not sure I understand - since you had not yet booked air or hotel, what are your losses? What sort of compensation do you feel is fair?

Not sure I understand - since you had not yet booked air or hotel, what are your losses? What sort of compensation do you feel is fair?

We are now departing late July, and heat is an issue. Plus, we had our dream cabin on our June sailing, and were left with slim pickings when we were informed of our cancellation. Not to mention the significant price increase.

First and foremost, I would like a more customer minded attitude.