A few questions going on Niew Amsterdam Alaska

Sallyandtex

Hi,

We sail late May. I have been reading the "dummies" thread it's great but just asking...

1) Good news that it is allowed but is it worth taking bottles water/soda on board , or is it reasonably priced form the shop/bar? Do you buy in bulk and have it delivered?

2)We are in a balcony room, is there a fridge in there to keep water/wine cool?

3) Do they privide wine and water glasses in the cabin?

4) We would probably prefer a booking time for dinner (I think we can choose 5.30 or 8pm) to save any dramas, if we are exhausted and decide not to attend our booking , do we need to cancel?

I understand HAL does not have kettles in the room for tea making??

Cheers (:

Edited by Sallyandtex
forgot something

Hi,

We sail late May. I have been reading the "dummies" thread it's great but just asking...

1) Good news that it is allowed but is it worth taking bottles water/soda on board , or is it reasonably priced form the shop/bar? Do you buy in bulk and have it delivered?

2)We are in a balcony room, is there a fridge in there to keep water/wine cool?

3) Do they privide wine and water glasses in the cabin?

4) We would probably prefer a booking time for dinner (I think we can choose 5.30 or 8pm) to save any dramas, if we are exhausted and decide not to attend our booking , do we need to cancel?

I understand HAL does not have kettles in the room for tea making??

Cheers (:

Soda prices are $2.25. Water on the ship is very good so no need to bring bottled water. Bring a water bottle and fill it from your tap. Tea brands are PG Tips and Bigelow in the Lido Market.

There is a minibar in all rooms but temps are 43-47 degrees so long term storage of meats is not a good idea. Bring Ziploc bags to keep cheese from the Lido Market for late snacks and other items that should be chilled.

Glasses are provided.

If you miss your dining time by 15 minutes, those with "Anytime Dining" will be seated at your table. No need to cancel but it would be a nice gesture to tell your waiters the evening before you will not be there.

No kettles but Room Service is available 24/7 and the Lido Market has tea and hot water 24/7 to make your own.

Here is the Room Service menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Room-Service-and-Breakfast-Card.pdf

Minibar that you may ask for the contents to be removed to let you store your own items:

IMG_1546-232.jpg

Edited by Crew News

Very helpful, thankyou!

I will Put zip lock bags on my list!

Should we contact the desk services to empty the mini bar so it doesn't get added to our account, or will the steward make a record of it?

Just ask your Room Steward when he introduces himself on Embarkation Day and he will ensure that the Beverage Staff takes care of it, In the mean time, you can put the contents on top of the minibar and use the minibar immediately.

Here is a link to my photo review of the NA from 2016 that may have some changes with her latest drydock:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

If you miss your dining time by 15 minutes, those with "Anytime Dining" will be seated at your table.

Could y'all provide more details about this? Thanks!!

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Could y'all provide more details about this? Thanks!!

Your reserved seats are held for 15 minutes. If you do not arrive within that window then they are given to those waiting for Anytime Dining.

Your reserved seats are held for 15 minutes. If you do not arrive within that window then they are given to those waiting for Anytime Dining.
Thanks! Could someone please provide more details? How does anytime dining work on Holland America now? Is this the only way? Or is there also a dedicated area/dining room? Are there any provisions for treating traditional dining patrons late by more than 15 minutes as anytime dining patrons or is their only option the buffet?

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Thanks! Could someone please provide more details? How does anytime dining work on Holland America now? Is this the only way? Or is there also a dedicated area/dining room? Are there any provisions for treating traditional dining patrons late by more than 15 minutes as anytime dining patrons or is their only option the buffet?

There is an early seating and a main seating. Early is usually 5:30pm. Main is usually 8:00 pm. Both are fixed reserved seating. If you miss your window then you can join the Anytime crowd or order from the MDR menu to your room or try a specialty restaurant or go to the Lido.

Sallyandtex - there are extra wine glasses in the cabin. They are in the desk door along with a magnifying mirror for make-up. You are allowed to bring one bottle of wine each, soda and water. Your can ask your room attendant to remove the items from the mini fridge to store your soda/water/wine. We brought 2 bottles of wine, a 6-pack of soda and several bottles of water. You are allowed to bring more onboard at each port. We enjoyed sipping wine on the verandah every evening.

We also did the Alaskan cruise in late May and it was perfect weather. It did get chilly but only fleece and windbreakers were needed. Hope your cruise is as good as ours was.

There is an early seating and a main seating. Early is usually 5:30pm. Main is usually 8:00 pm. Both are fixed reserved seating. If you miss your window then you can join the Anytime crowd or order from the MDR menu to your room or try a specialty restaurant or go to the Lido.

(bold is mine) Is this a new policy? I thought if you missed your fixed time, you couldn't do Anytime.

Sallyandtex - there are extra wine glasses in the cabin. They are in the desk door along with a magnifying mirror for make-up. You are allowed to bring one bottle of wine each, soda and water. Your can ask your room attendant to remove the items from the mini fridge to store your soda/water/wine. We brought 2 bottles of wine, a 6-pack of soda and several bottles of water. You are allowed to bring more onboard at each port. We enjoyed sipping wine on the verandah every evening.

We also did the Alaskan cruise in late May and it was perfect weather. It did get chilly but only fleece and windbreakers were needed. Hope your cruise is as good as ours was.

Just to clarify, you may bring on more soda and water in ports, no problem. But if you want to bring on wine in a port, you will be charged corkage. And you aren't allowed to bring on beer. :mad:

Good to know. Sometimes it's tight getting back from a tour and getting to early fixed.

The early dining at 5:30 PM MDR is seldom full while the ship is in port. If you let your waiter know that you will be a little late returning from an excursion, he will probably save your table for you as long as will arrive in enough time to be served before the end of the dining segment. This has always worked for me.

Both are fixed reserved seating. If you miss your window then you can join the Anytime crowd or ...
Thanks again... I'm not sure if it is common knowledge that this is not the way things work on some other cruise lines. If I knew that we'd be allowed to get on the Anytime Dining line if we were late getting back from an excursion, we would have booked Early Dining from the start, rather than being wait-listed for it now.

(bold is mine) Is this a new policy? I thought if you missed your fixed time, you couldn't do Anytime.
Okay so it's still an open question.

3rdGen: I am unaware of any policy but I have never been refused entry during Anytime hours.
That's excellent. Now I really hope the wait-list comes through for us.