RSVP Vacations Caribbean February 2018 Review

Upao

I was looking for RSVP cruise reviews here and started one. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

This was my first ever cruise and it was fun.

Pros:

Fun themed dances.

Contracted entertainers were, overall, entertaining.

A few of the RSVP staff were delightful.

I liked having the clothing-optional sundeck.

Boarding procedures seemed fairly efficient.

Some of the HAL staff joined in the festivities and had fun with the guests.

Being with other gay and gay friendly people made me feel comfortable.

The passengers were friendly and I had a great time meeting folks from around the world. We even organized a kilted dinner!

Improvement Areas:

It was confusing what processes and procedures were RSVP's and which where HAL's. There were some service lapses and I couldn't tell if that was how HAL operated or if it was something to do with the charter contract specifications. One example, I took a tour of the spa and it was just one HUGE hard sell to another. I had booked a massage before the trip, (the massage was good), but I didn't book anything else because the hard-selling made the environment tense. Another example is how alcoholic beverages are sold. I'm told that HAL normally has alcoholic beverage packages for purchase, on this cruise it was cash per drink.

I went through a travel agent for my booking, so it was easy for me. However, when it came to re-booking on the ship, the process was confusing and it was on paper. I had heard you could book your same room while onboard, but this time I couldn't as the room was already booked as were all the rooms in my category (upper level, just shy of the big suites). I didn't end up booking the 2019 cruise because I didn't want to wait in lines to spend another couple grand with RSVP, that's why I have an amazing travel agent - that's what he does.

The owner of RSVP (Rich) gave a Q&A about RSVP and its future. I honestly don't know if he cares much about the brand. (Hearsay) I was told by another passenger that Rich owns and loves Atlantis, and that is where he spends his energy.

The branding for RSVP doesn't really represent who was onboard - ads feature primarily white, buff, gym bunnies with only some other body and ethnicity types. My travel agent insisted it was a great, mixed group and not circuit partiers. He said I'd fit in with the other bear types - turned out to be true. I wouldn't have booked if it weren't for my agent's knowledge.

What I found was, HAL Koningsdam was a lovely ship and I would cruise on them again. RSVP Vacations was good but I won't enthusiastically recommend them. I will likely try RSVP again to see if a second trip would be better. I will also try other LGBT vacation companies.

I did the cruise last year.RSVP takes over the ship.Basically Holland America doesn't exist.It means no trivia,movies etc...That's why it's considered a charter.I would prefer the HAL experience.

"One example, I took a tour of the spa and it was just one HUGE hard sell to another. I had booked a massage before the trip, (the massage was good), but I didn't book anything else because the hard-selling made the environment tense." I think all the cruise lines make a hard sell for their lotions and other products; this hard sell is not unique to neither HAL nor RSVP; my guess is that the workers get a bonus or part of any sale.

"Another example is how alcoholic beverages are sold. I'm told that HAL normally has alcoholic beverage packages for purchase, on this cruise it was cash per drink." They actually did have alcohol beverage packages on one prior cruise. Rich said that it is not offered because since there is a high tendency that friends from multiple cabins would try to share but the packages are supposed to be only used by the purchaser. Of course, the cruise line make a lot of money selling alcohol on gay charters so I suspect that they want to make sure they continue to do so.