Thoughts on Debarkation in Amsterdam w/Transfer

grsnovi

Our TA has booked us on a 12 noon flight. Ship docks at 7 and we're supposed to have a HAL transfer to the airport. I feel pretty nervous about this. It seems that if luck were on our side at best we'd be off by 8 but I'm not sure how long we'll have to wait for them to fill up however large of a van they have to haul us to the airport (or will it me a full size bus). Should I be worried or should I just assume everything will be fine? Anyone who may have had a close connection in Amsterdam?

Our TA has booked us on a 12 noon flight. Ship docks at 7 and we're supposed to have a HAL transfer to the airport. I feel pretty nervous about this. It seems that if luck were on our side at best we'd be off by 8 but I'm not sure how long we'll have to wait for them to fill up however large of a van they have to haul us to the airport (or will it me a full size bus). Should I be worried or should I just assume everything will be fine? Anyone who may have had a close connection in Amsterdam?

We did not disembark to fly out the same day, but we were dropped off at the airport to catch a bus into town. It was by the HAL bus, which sat at the terminal until it was full, then left. There were lots of busses, lots of people and luggage. It took time. The port is quite a ways from the airport. When we did fly out, the airport is a zoo. It took us almost 3 hours to check luggage, and get through TSA. The line for TSA was unbelievably long. They are super cautious and lots of people are pulled out to have their carry on checked. It will be close. You might do better to use Uber or hire a cab. Take your luggage with you instead of trying to find it at the port. Leave with the first off the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What port are you talking about? If it's Fort Lauderdale for example the airport is very close and HAL did a great job getting us off the ship and on our way .

We've done it twice there and the latest we got to the airport was 9:30 (the other time we were there before nine). There was a couple on our bus who had an 11AM flight, he made it .

They can't control customs of course but we breezed through both times.

What port are you talking about? If it's Fort Lauderdale for example the airport is very close and HAL did a great job getting us off the ship and on our way .

We've done it twice there and the latest we got to the airport was 9:30 (the other time we were there before nine). There was a couple on our bus who had an 11AM flight, he made it .

They can't control customs of course but we breezed through both times.

OP is asking about Amsterdam

OP I agree with the self disembark or early off and get a cab. I wouldn't wait for a HAL transfer.

That airport does take time to get through as has been reported. You need time there so do allow for it.

When fying to the USA most airlines want you to checkin at least hours prior. The drivingtime from the port to the airport is abour 25/30 minutes, depending traffic. Indeed in sumemrtime the airport can be extremely busy with lines for security and passportcontrol. You might be better off to get a cab to the airport or even one of the frequent trains from Centraal Station..

We had a similar situation in Amsterdam last year with a 10:45am return flight. The HA airport transfer was not an option as they told us the transfer would not leave the port early enough to get us to the airport. We were on the Prinsendam and kept our luggage and disembarked as soon as the ship was cleared by the port authorities. There were plenty of taxis in front of the terminal and we had no trouble arriving at the airport in plenty of time even for such an early flight. As long as you can manage handling your luggage yourself to get off the ship, you will be fine.

I've not cruised out of Amsterdam but I have flown into/out of Schiphol and I have heard they're somewhat more thorough in their check-in process these days. It was waiting for HAL to fill a bus that has me worried. Perhaps we should plan on a taxi out to the airport. Would still be curious to hear from anyone who has had an early flight out of Schiphol. K'dam is somewhat larger than O'dam or E'dam and I imagine the debarkation will be somewhat more crowded. I have never needed to be off the ship so quickly - is there an option for us to schlep our own bags and be amongst the first off?

When you handle your luggage, it means carry it off the ship yourself. In that case donot put it out in the hallway the night before but keep it in your cabin. I live near Amsterdam and know how busy the airport at times can be.

On our K'dam cruise last summer there was an emergency due to an evacuation of a person and we arrived about 1 hour late in Amsterdam.

I would be very worried about trying to make a noon flight from Amsterdam.

When I disembarked the Prinsendam there last July, I was wheeled off the ship early, and even placed on a bus that was earlier than the one I expected to be on; we left quickly. It was an easy drive to the airport, but there have been times in the past where the bus could not get through the city, and the ride took a long time.

Once at the airport, the bus was unloaded at one terminal, no matter which terminal the passengers were leaving from. It was very difficult to find and make my way to the handicap assistance area, tell them my sad tale, and wait for assistance to my terminal.

Once I got there, and was able to check in, it seemed to take forever---and what seemed like miles!---to get where I needed to go. Security was in three steps, including one at the gate itself.

If you can't get a later flight, my advice is to disembark as early as possible, even if that means self-disembark. Then, take private transportation to the airport, where you at least can be let off at the right terminal. Then, be prepared to move quickly.

Good luck.

Edited by RuthC

Thanks Ruth, Ine and all who have replied so far. My TA claims that HAL won't allow them to book something that can't happen and that noon is as early as they will allow a return flight booking. While I don't doubt that I suspect that HAL is more interested in getting the booking (which in this case included air, 2 nights hotel pre-cruise as well as the cruise). Worst case we end up missing the flight and hanging around Schiphol for hours (and hours) - not something I really want to worry about the whole week prior.