Amsterdam or Volendam

mickrory

I concluded just the opposite for very superficial reasons - we liked the Amsterdam decor the least among her sisters, so I would take the Volendam. Zaandam and Volendam were our favorites, then Rotterdam and bottom of the choice among basically equals was the Amsterdam (which we found both dour and garish).

Our feeling immediately upon boarding was shame on you HAL, this is your "flagship" grand voyager. It should have been a cut above, but it was not - more a feeling of disjointed fire sale decor for us. But this was in 2015 and our verandah scuppers were very stinky too - 50 days on Tales of the South Pacific. Maybe things have improved since then.

But with those superficial observations aside, the Amsterdam's crew, ship itself and itinerary were fantastic One of the best.

Both ships are about the same size, with a similar number of passengers, and have the same deck plans. It really is a toss-up, all else being equal.

The Rotterdam did lose her aft pool several years ago, making the aft Lido Deck a sort of a mess. For viewing the Canal, the Volendam would have more useable space out there. And obviously, swimming out there is still a possibility.

The Rotterdam artwork is stunning, as she is one of the fleet's flagships.

Both ships should offer similar meals, entertainment, and service.

If there truly is no difference in itinerary, including time in whatever ports the ship stops at, I might be inclined to choose based on number of other ships sharing the ports, or the cost of flights. A significant difference there could be the deciding factor.

I like both ships. But, I prefer Volendam. I have not sailed on her since 2012, so I am unsure if her dry docks since then have altered her interior much. Her decor theme is "Flowers" and I like that.

Amsterdam is also a fine ship and I enjoyed sailing her as well. And, I'd sail on her again if the opportunity arises. While she normally sails the Grand World Voyage, her decor is a step down from that level as compared to her older sister, Rotterdam VI.

Crew service/friendliness/attitudes: the same on each. Just very guest oriented! (Just as long as upper Management, i.e. Captain, Hotel Director, are so focused.)