Reception of Americans in Europe?

Owlivia

We will be traveling on a river cruise (Grand European) in May and I have heard from a friend who was in France last year that Americans receive a hostile reception by virtue of being Americans, and are incessantly drilled about our politics. Is this typical? Can anyone give me a report on their experiences recently? Thanks in advance.

I’m soon to go to France for the 8th time and have never, ever been treated in a hostile or rude way. I happen to have been in Sicily during the 2016 presidential election (voted by absentee ballot) and was asked by young people what I thought of the election. My policy is basically that I won’t talk politics with other Americans but don’t mind talking about them with folks I meet in other countries!

We were in France last year, in Paris, Dijon, and a cruise on the Rhone. We never encountered any hostility from the French people and were never asked about politics. We have been to France twice in the past few years and have had nothing but wonderful experiences.

I have lived in Europe and traveled there. Never had that problem. I also don't go around advertising my nationality. We do try to maintain a low profile which is difficult with my husband who is often mistaken for a pro athlete or actor (he's 6'2, African American and 290 lbs of solid muscle). We traveled there not long after the bombings in Paris so I was a bit nervous about being there. Other than being stopped on the street and being asked if he was Terry Cruz and some ladies in a café thinking he was one of the Olympian's that got stuck in Europe on the way to the Olympics....we had no issues.

The only time I ever felt like someone was trying to pull me into political conversations was on the beach in Barbados the week we started our activities in the Gulf. I was on active duty and on leave down there. A guy tried to start a convo with me on the matter and asked if I was American. I just said no, I'm Canadian and I have no opinion. He left me alone.

I'm not one that likes to have those sorts of convo's so I just change the subject.

Don't worry....be smart, don't walk around with the American Flag plastered on your clothes or belongings and you will be fine.

It is indeed possible to find people who give you a hard time because you are from the US, but IME much less xenophobia than in the US. Parisians, like big cities anywhere in the world, tend to be less forgiving that people from the country side but I have OFTEN encountered very helpful people even in Paris.

If one insists on being the American who knows it all and thinks that any and everyone can understand English if I shout it loud then you will encounter rudeness in return. Many years ago (perhaps when as very naive college student when I arrived in Paris in the middle of the 1968 student riots to oust de Gaule and didn’t understand anything of the background) I was told that words of primary importance rather than being Merci and S.V. P. are “bon jour”. When you enter any establishment you should acknowledge people there; to not do that is considered rude and things rapidly go south from there.

French is a very precisely structured language (unlike English that can be put together any numbers of ways). Many French are so worried about not getting English correctly structured they are scared to talk. My philosophy is to talk in my very poor French and they are comforted knowing that their English couldn’t possibly be that bad and we stumble along from there.

Relax, smile a lot, look flustered if necessary and give polite non- argumentative answers. In Argentina in early 1983 I was asked what I thought about the Malvinas [Falklands] - perhaps not my complete opinion but I honestly said it was terrible for both sides. That was an accurate polite answer that allowed all of us to go on to the next question.

I was last in France June 2017 and in Nice had ordered an omelet at a sidewalk cafe. Rather to my surprise a bottle of ketchup appeared on the table. I smiled and asked the waiter if everyone got ketchup or just the Americans. He in turn smiled and said just the Americans - I also have Tabasco, would you also like that and out came a 12 oz (large) bottle of genuine Tabasco.

Lots of wonderful caring people around to world mixed in with a few others. Deflect the nasties and enjoy the rest.

Thom

In my experiences, the people of France have been lovely. I've never been asked about politics when I was there, and we are pretty obviously american, lol. But it does remind me of one thing that happened to us.

We stopped at a very crowded restaurant in Provence for lunch. In very basic and terrible french I asked for a table. The waitress responded in french but between hand gestures and broken english we figured out that it would be a small wait and she showed us a place to sit.

while we were waiting a large group of american tourists came over and asked the same waitress for a table. No hello, no attempt at french, just "do you have a table". The waitress responded in french. The woman who asked turned to her friends and said "how rude!" and the grouped walked off. Ironically once we sat and ordered the waitress broke into more and more english. She was clearly embarrassed by her english skills and wasn't comfortable speaking completely in english. But we appreciated her attempts and I think she appreciated that ours.

Anyhow, I'm sure that american woman we saw Provence thinks french people are rude. But I disagree!

We have never encountered any issues. A few French phrases learned shows you are trying and don’t automatically expect to be catered to because you’re an American. I try to wear neutral clothes. No American flags, sports team apparel, slogans on clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, guess I'm going out on a limb here, but with the way things are with the current administration in the US, probably not surprising why Americans might not be as well received around the world. Still, I have to agree in that I've never personally experienced anything of a negative nature while in Europe. Perhaps if, in general, the Americans dressed a bit better that might help matters. On every trip we've ever done over there, I've always felt that the US citizens dress more casually than their European counterparts. Not hard to tell who the American tourists are at any rate. Agreed with the idea of not wearing clothing that are conspicuously nationalistic in style.

I think TravelerThom pretty much hit the nail on the head. Just one quibble; don't smile too much. That seems to be a common criticism of Americans in many European countries . . .

It certainly helps to have a few phrases in the language of the county being visited. That said one of our most interesting experiences was in a small restaurant with shared tables in Serbia. The proprietor treated everyone in Serbian and, if he didn't get an immediate response switched to English. English turned out to be the common language for ordering regardless of the person's primary language.

Travelers need to understand that different cultures are indeed different and what may be rude in one culture may be perfectly acceptable in another. Asking how much money one makes or inquiring about female family members is common some places, forbidden in others. In the US busses and planes unload from the first row back, in South America first person up has the right of way; if you don’t jump up immediately you have to wait while everyone else passes you. Some people are disgusted that dogs are eaten, others disgusted that cows are.

If you want everything to be exactly like it is at home, that’s where you should stay. On the other hand travel teaches that there is more than one way to do things. I enjoy learning about the world even despite being outside my comfort zone sometimes.

I think TravelerThom pretty much hit the nail on the head. Just one quibble; don't smile too much. That seems to be a common criticism of Americans in many European countries . . .

It certainly helps to have a few phrases in the language of the county being visited. That said one of our most interesting experiences was in a small restaurant with shared tables in Serbia. The proprietor treated everyone in Serbian and, if he didn't get an immediate response switched to English. English turned out to be the common language for ordering regardless of the person's primary language.

Don’t smile too much seriously? Facial expression is a common language. I never heard anyone complain about smiling. Sorry - it’s what I do. It’s who I am. I smile a lot because I am generally happy. I love life. I love traveling and seeing new things. And it causes me to smile. I’ve found smiles, like laughter, to be infectious and that’s a good thing.

Quite frankly, if someone has a problem with smiling, I don’t want them to be around them. I also say, good morning/afternoon and please and thank you a lot ... always with a smile.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While I am not going to stop smiling I also accept that it is less common in some cultures. My first visit to the Caribbean was 40 years ago to Trinidad (not the usual first Caribbean place to visit). Walking around I felt like everyone was glaring at me and I was getting a very hostile vibe. The next day I rented an old piece of crap rental car (the best available) which promptly would not restart 20 miles down the road. Maybe 10 people came to help, went for tools and helped clean the corroded battery cables. Car then worked fine, I was wished a safe trip and not one person hung around looking for a tip. That help certainly outweighed the lack of smiles.

Just thought that I’d add that we are back this week from Paris and Provence. Once again, we found both Parisians and non-Parisians to be warm and lovely people. Just remember one word - Bonjour, and you’ll be fine

Ready to go back!

Jeff

From my encounters with the American continent people, both private and in tourism business: There are many, many lovely, helpful people about in Europe and I am sure you will take lots of good memories home with you. There are stereotypes and expectations of what you lot are like... The American flag on clothes has already been mentioned (no need though to pull off that tiny label on your shoes!). Baseball caps and loudly asking for the way to the train station (or similar) would fit the stereotype of "cowboyish attitude". But overall I cannot imagine you will enounter any problems. Touristy places are used to different sets of people from different countries. Smiles and "excuse me, do you speak English" paired with standard politeness of greetings, etc. - perhaps in the native language if you can - should get you through Europe without problems. Nobody will hopefully treat ou with less courtesy for being American - I sincerely hope. I have not come across such behaviour and it should not be tolerated.

The countries you will visit have their own sort of characters but what you might regard as a slightly negative perception of you being American might just be a character thing or shyness in dealing with people that speak a foreign language. I work in tourism and had to deal with Swedes closely. Before I met them a German representative warned me: "do not think they are not interested, they are just a bit cooler in their character, not as enthusiastic as us Germans". The French can be a bit more open about certain topics. But I understand it you are travelling across Europe which would normally be Amsterdam to Budapest or vice versa, where you will not be in France then?

As regards politics: a polite sentence of not being interested to discuss politics should do the trick. Do not let anybody pester you, walk away, or even report it if you feel physically threatened. I hope this never happens, it should not. Sometimes politicians do not make it easy for us, do they? Do not let it get to you.

Enjoy your trip.

notamermaid

Don’t smile too much seriously? Facial expression is a common language. I never heard anyone complain about smiling. Sorry - it’s what I do. It’s who I am. I smile a lot because I am generally happy. I love life. I love traveling and seeing new things. And it causes me to smile. I’ve found smiles, like laughter, to be infectious and that’s a good thing.

Quite frankly, if someone has a problem with smiling, I don’t want them to be around them. I also say, good morning/afternoon and please and thank you a lot ... always with a smile.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, smiling too much and in the wrong situations will definitely mark you as an American. In many cultures, it will appear that you are laughing at them or consider them "funny" (not in a good way). This is especially true for river cruises in Russia. Don't glare, but certainly a neutral face is more welcoming than the typical wide-open laughing smile. Of course, this all refers to meeting strangers. Once you become friends, smile away.

We will be traveling on a river cruise (Grand European) in May and I have heard from a friend who was in France last year that Americans receive a hostile reception by virtue of being Americans, and are incessantly drilled about our politics. Is this typical? Can anyone give me a report on their experiences recently? Thanks in advance.

We've traveled in Europe many times, lived in Germany for 3 years, and still have family living and working in Germany. Many people are quite curious about our politics (and many know more than most Americans about our current political issues). They understand that what's happening in one country (even across the Atlantic) has repercussions around the world. I've never been "incessantly drilled" as happened to your friend, but I have been asked (frequently) who I voted for, who I currently supported, what was my stand on assorted issues, etc. They're curious. Give as much information as you care to disclose, then ask them about the same issues in their country. You may be surprised that they really do want to talk to an American about what's happening throughout our world.

As for a "hostile reception"- yes, it can happen, in France, America, etc. Several people have already posted ways to negate this (say a greeting when entering- Bon Jour, Guten Tag, etc. ) (ask the Program Director on your cruise for the appropriate greeting in each country). Also, we try to learn to say (in the other language): I don't speak.................... Does anyone here speak English?

Please don't let your friend's unfortunate experience in France deter you from enjoying your river cruise.

...Just remember one word - Bonjour, and you’ll be fine ��
I always thought that was two words, but the Internet certainly agrees with you. No surprise that the only course I ever flunked was French, yet the French still put up with me. Always a good day when I learn something.

Over casually dressed Americans often draws the ire of many Europeans. Far too many Americans can’t identify the difference between grunge and casual, or where casual isn’t appropriate! Showing up grunge in many, particularly higher end, restaurants is considered at insult to the proprietor, or just very “American”. Try not to continue the stereotype. If you look around and you’re underdressed, then you are underdressed, regardless of the styles in your part of the US.

It does not matter if you’re an atheist and don’t believe in or respect their religion or place of worship, take your hat off when you enter their churches. If the signs say not photos, particularly during active service, what part of NO photography do you not grasp?

It is embarrassing to watch Americans at buffets, particularly breakfast ones, with signs on the table saying “eat what you wish, but do not take food out”! Then watch Americans make three or four sandwiches to stuff into their purses or satchels to take along! Do you know the European hand signal for an American?

Lastly never utter the phrase to any local “ I don’t like .... food, where I find some American (or western) food!”

Hello again, and thanks to everyone who took the time to post their interesting and informative replies. I appreciate the input. We're not "grunge-y" types, and don't own any clothing with insignias, so on those points we should be safe. :) Speaking of smiles, I tend toward depression, so I'm safe there, too. ha! And my husband speaks German with relative fluency.

I shared Jane's experience in France because it was the most recent and troubling of "European adventures", and therefore had some concerns that it was a pattern throughout the continent. Frankly, one of my most heartfelt desires in taking a European vacation is to escape the incessant political talk and hostilities in my own country. People are so angry and so many friendships have ended (and I am unusual in that I have held on to friends on both sides of the divide -- so I hear the diatribes from every camp, world without end, and I'm just TIRED of it). But I digress.

Again, thank you bunches to everyone for their replies. May all of your travels be filled with joyful delights and your luggage always accompany you to every destination.

I think MOST on this thread agree that best results are achieved by being polite and reasonably dressed as neutrally as possible. Hard to believe that a baseball cap meets that criteria much less one carrying a political message bound to inflame some. I will refrain from saying more.

Actually, this does bring up another issue. We've done Ocean cruises before - but that was apres le deluge of political inflammation (to mix my metaphors).

I note (too late, perhaps) that on the Viking River cruises there are exclusively tables for 6; none for 2-somes. I'm a strong introvert and I hate acrimony -- is this going to end up being an Endurance Trial for me? 15 days of people who want to talk/argue endlessly? Egads. Starting to hate the idea of going.

Actually, this does bring up another issue. We've done Ocean cruises before - but that was apres le deluge of political inflammation (to mix my metaphors).

I note (too late, perhaps) that on the Viking River cruises there are exclusively tables for 6; none for 2-somes. I'm a strong introvert and I hate acrimony -- is this going to end up being an Endurance Trial for me? 15 days of people who want to talk/argue endlessly? Egads. Starting to hate the idea of going.

People on river cruises tend to be well traveled and well educated. Most have enough sense to not inflame their tablemates. I was on a river boat during the 2004 elections and we shared by choice a 4 top several days with a couple who were voting opposite to us because we all enjoyed a non-inflammatory conversation about how to solve the world’s problems (we were not totally successful). ONLY because we all enjoyed it would I have dared have that discussion. It is open seating and you quickly learn who you get along best with and tend to gravitate to eating with them often. An advantage of 6 tops is that it is possible for one introverted person to stay pretty quiet and let the conversation (mostly about what you saw today and what you will see tomorrow) flow around them. It is possible to not have fun on a river cruise but you have to try hard to end up there. Relax and enjoy.

Thom

We have been traveling to Europe since 2000, sometimes twice a year with no problems we could not work out with a few words in the language. We were in Europe during 911 and everyone was so nice I almost cried! One of the places in Paris I had read americans were not treated well was E. Dehillerin with very few French words and being nice I had a great time. I did understand how their prices were marked (a little odd) but being a cook and baker this was one of my great experiences! I have been back several times and love the pieces I bought there. In Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria and Hungary I do fine again with few words. I will say I do dress better in Europe than I do in NH and we do carry translation pages for food in restaurants. Also I helps to pay in local currency this used to be a lot harder!

Second seating