Skytrain Question

Looking for some advice on how the Skytrain works. For example, my husband and I arrive at the Vancouver Airport, collect our luggage and now want to take the Skytrain to Canada Place. How much luggage are we allowed to take on the train? Is there a size limit? Where do we stow the luggage? Anything we need to know specifically about this experience? Thanks in advance for the information.

Looking for some advice on how the Skytrain works. For example, my husband and I arrive at the Vancouver Airport, collect our luggage and now want to take the Skytrain to Canada Place. How much luggage are we allowed to take on the train? Is there a size limit? Where do we stow the luggage? Anything we need to know specifically about this experience? Thanks in advance for the information.

No size or amount limit. Keep in mind that you'll have move your luggage up to street level at station. Then walk about two blocks downhill to Canada.

Someone might have more details for you.

It is fairly easy to take the Skytrain to downtown. The re are lots of signs in the Airport. It is on the departures level. You will walk out across a covered bridge and the train is right there. Cost is around $8 each (as the airport adds on a $5 improvement fee). You can pay by credit card. There are no stairs at the airport so you can roll your luggage with you. On the train you will need to keep your luggage with you. As there are no places to store them. Get off at the waterfront station (last stop). And take the exit to go to Canada Place, tho there are stairs here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For Adults, the two zone trip is $4.10 (before 6 pm), after 6 pm and Saturday, Sunday and Holidays it is $2.75. If you depart from the airport there is a $5 surcharge that is also added. No surcharge when going to the airport.

Kids, and Seniors over 65 pay $2.80 (peek times) and $1.80 (off times). You still have the $5 surcharge added.

Tickets are sold from Vending machines just before the fare gates. The vending machines will take Visa and Mastercard. There are elevators.

YVR Station and Waterfront Station. The two stations you want to use are the end of the line. I would get on and head as far back as you can go that way you don't need to deal with the people who are getting on and off.

There are a lot of people who use this line to get to and from the airport. You are not going to be the only one with luggage.

I think the only factoids you're missing are re: where to put luggage - all seats have space underneath for pretty big bags, and there's extra leg room compared to other lines. At 6'1", 250lbs, I can fit a 28" roller and a backpack or carry-on in 'my' space. Same rules apply as other transit - basically do not use wheelchair/bike space or block the aisles or doors.

Given the frequency of service, if you head to the platform and there are loads of other people already waiting because several planes all got in about the same time don't worry about skipping one train and getting on the next. With vacation luggage, standing is not an option - you cannot help but block the aisle, door, or wheelchair/bike spots.

Since the system is automated the odds of a transit cop or Translink staff boarding and telling you to exit the vehicle if you're blocking are very slim, but it's still a d*ck move for other users and of course it's no fun standing for 26mins trying to hold onto your bags and the handrails!

At the other end I'd suggest taking an elevator if you have a lot of luggage, but if you can roll it all with one hand free the escalators are quite workable.