Cruise fare increase for 2019

mozfoz

We have been looking at various cruise options for a Rhine River cruise next year. Seem to be focused on Crystal or Tauck, neither of which we have sailed before, but Crystal seems to be the front runner so far. Pricing has been based on 2018 brochure rates. Anyway, I just received a 2019 Tauck brochure and have notice a $700- $1000 increase in fares for the same cruise, cabin, dates, and days. Is there something I am missing or is this an unusual amount of increase.

Crystal River is a new product so who knows what is usual?

It could be that after their inaugural season with the new ships they found that it was more expensive to operate than they had projected.

Also the Euro has strengthened quite a bit in the last year. Maybe they’re compensating for that?

It might be worth a look at Scenic. They are offering 2019 cruises at 2018 prices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was a bit relieved when I saw your post, as I thought it was just me!

I don't know if you are missing 'it', but we have noticed this over the last 2 - 3 trips, the fares in our usual lines are up, and a lot. We have had two European/UK holidays slow travelling on land. Our UK small ship cruise company has made us rethink our itineraries too, big price increase, and lots of wet landings. ie no fees I assume as we don't use the jetty/dock - which is fine for expedition cruises, but the $ per day does not match our value for money bottom line anymore. We have covered our favourite rivers 3 or 4 times now, so we are hopping onto dry land, and redoing our favourite locations.

We have been looking at various cruise options for a Rhine River cruise next year. Seem to be focused on Crystal or Tauck, neither of which we have sailed before, but Crystal seems to be the front runner so far. Pricing has been based on 2018 brochure rates. Anyway, I just received a 2019 Tauck brochure and have notice a $700- $1000 increase in fares for the same cruise, cabin, dates, and days. Is there something I am missing or is this an unusual amount of increase.

We just booked Crystal Rhine for next October. We were looking at AMA, Uniworld, and Viking...We have not done Crystal, but they were the best bang for the buck....and you cannot beat the Crystal brand

As someone noted, the US$ has gone down against the Euro. That will make any European trip more expensive. The companies may hedge their conversion rates, but it is a fairly short term thing.