River Cruising thru Bulgaria

Kayak lk

Did it with Viking. For some reason the Passage to Eastern Europe seems not to be as popular as other itineraries. We found it far more beautiful cruising than the Budapest-Passau route. I thought Bulgaria was beautiful and the Iron Gate in Serbia was spectacular. If you go from Bucharest, be sure to do a pre or post cruise of Transyvania. We were unable to get on the Viking one and ended up with a fantastic private guide who took us to many more places than the big bus was able to get to. Enjoy!

Last year I did an Eastern European cruise on Uniworld last year that included Bulgaria - loved it. Their yogurt is outstanding, and I had a soup with little meatballs in it and rice. Can't remember the name but it's very popular there. The country is still feeling its way post-Soviet era, and all of Eastern Europe is working to catch up to the West.

I agree with Hokie about the stretch of the river called the Iron Gates - absolutely beautiful. It was a cold day, but we huddled in blankets on the upper deck in order to take in the scenery.

Roz

We sailed this in 2004. Starting in Bucharest was for us the best way to travel. This enabled us to see the the progress made by the countries as they came into capitalism. We sailed with Uniworld as part of a B2B all the way to Amesterdam.

We did this with Viking a few years ago - and are booked to go back again this year with Avalon. We are heading to Transylvania as part of this package, and are spending one night in Brasov.

With the upcoming tour, we actually board the boat close to Km 0 - so will cruise a part of the Danube we have not seen before. Many of the Eastern European cruises board (or disembark) in Georgiu Romania, so the boarding location of Fetesti (close to Constanta) is a nice way to start.

I do agree with pacmom that starting in Bucharest allows you to see the recovery that the region has (or has not) managed to attain.

Fran