Bathroom costs in Europe

janegraybc

In countries using the Euro, I've found that it varies from fifty Euro cents to one Euro. This past week in Paris, a few public toilets were 80 Euro cents (and, of course, I'd saved my 50's and 1's!). Your program director or local tour guide will tell you what's needed (and may even be able to find the free toilets or make change if you arrive at an untended one).

Adding to Jersey Gem: having encountered unattended ones at 0.60 that took only 3 x 20 Euro cent coins it is good to have 0.20s in addition to 0.50s and 1 Euro coins. Many fast food places don’t charge for toilets BUT you have to use a code number given on your purchase receipt. Bars and restaurants often have no charge for customers but if there is a cleaning attendant a tip in the same range is expected.

You can always go to a cafe and buy something and rest room is no cost. This included McDonalds. You need to buy something first and the receipt has a code. Amsterdam also has the public restroom kiosks on the street. I had to use it once.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can always go to a cafe and buy something and rest room is no cost. This included McDonalds. You need to buy something first and the receipt has a code. Amsterdam also has the public restroom kiosks on the street. I had to use it once.

The public kiosks are only for males. We women don’t have that option.

True many places but Paris has a number of FREE self cleaning kiosks that serve any gender. See:

https://europeforvisitors.com/paris/articles/paris-public-toilets.htm

I assume these exist in some other cities but I have only used them in Paris.

I know the ones you’re speaking of but there are a couple near the museum which is like a room and then it washes itself. 🤷*♀️ well I used it and I’m female.

I know the ones you’re speaking of but there are a couple near the museum which is like a room and then it washes itself. 🤷*♀️ well I used it and I’m female.

I don't remember seeing those in Amsterdam; only the urinals. I have used that kind in Paris; they are really nice.

In most German hotels and restaurants, if you ask politely (alsowhile crossing your legs) you can use their toilets foc.

On the German autobahns and in shopping mails a lot of the toilets are now run by a company called Sanifair. You pay €0.70 (last time I used it) and can then redeem a large portion of the cost in a local shop (€0.50).

https://www.sanifair.de/en.html

TIP: Go to the toilet first and then buy a coffee, not the other way round.

There are several apps available to find toilets in your near, some even give prices.

So always have some LOOse change available.

• 3 weeks later...

Walk into a hotel lobby and casually look/walk around. You will usually spot their lobby area restroom. Just pretend you belong there. Of course, even the hotels could have an attendant. "Madame PeePee" we called them in France.