Sleeping for four......

UF_Cruiser

I am requesting comments on sleeping for four in the cabins with 2 bunks over the bed. Is there more room in the cabin to leave the lower beds apart or pushing them together? I know....not sleeping next to my wife for a week could get interesting:cool:...but then so is sleeping in the same room for a week with my 6 and 9 year old:eek:. We spent a week on Costa 2 spring breaks ago and it was near torture to have the bunks fold down on top of the bed. There was no room to hardly breath. I know the MSC ocean view rooms are slightly larger, but just wondering what others have done.

There are superior balcony cabins which have sofa sleeper that kids can use. They are more expensive, but MSC had a sale for a while and these cabins were affordable. When they had single cabin special, I booked one for our daughter, now my husband is wondering if I'm going to be sleeping there and he'll be alone in a cabin.

We had a 4 berth inside on the Lirica. Although we managed for storage etc, I did think..towards the end of the trip when it was a little late of course, ..that we would have found it easier if the lower beds had been apart. Head room under the bunks in the evenings was limited with the beds together, & it was a little awkward.

We were also told by MSC that the outside cabins were the same size as the inside...only difference being the window/mirror.

We overcame this by booking a balcony cabin next time round as another poster suggested. Much easier to navigate in the cabin, although access to the balcony was restricted with the sofa bed out. If there are any available on your sailing & you can manage it, I would recommend you try one of these instead.

However, if you can't, don't worry too much. Our children are much older & bigger than yours & on the whole we were fine in the inside.

we have had the same set up that you are describing and will have the same on our cruise in 2 weeeks. We had our beds pushed together, and you are right, it is tight. the strangest thing is having to scoot down and exit the bed for the bottom instead of the side. There probably would be more room if the beds were apart, but I don't sleep well without my husband, and I haven't slept in a twin bed since college. I think I would sleep worse if the beds were apart. HTH

We have done the "lower beds apart" a few times: on Costa and Carnival. Not that's an ideal romantic cruise sleeping arrangement. But--without doing so, you have NO ROOM in your room. And, the kids are always stepping on your bed.

Definitely recommend the beds apart option.

CeleBrat

We were just on the Orchestra with four people in our cabin and had plenty of room with the beds pushed together. We do not prefer separate beds and will endure less space to make this possible.

Our kids are 11 and we never had any issues. We still giggle about their stuffed friends falling down in the night, thus giving Mom and Dad friends as well.

We also had some stuffed friends fall onto our bed at night...too funny. The kids were good about using the ladders to get down if they had to go to the BR at night, but during the day, they would slip and slide right down onto our beds for an easier "escape route"!

The upper births are attached to the walls (obviously) so when you push the lower beds together, they are centered in the middle of the room, with two night stands on the outside. This leaves a several foot wide swath open down the middle of the bed (does this make sense). In other words, the lower beds are not completely covered like true bunk beds, with helps a bit with the clostrophobia. If you kept the beds apart, you would essentially be sleeping in a bunk bed with the upper birth totally over top of you.

J

we just got off the lirica and had an inside cabin with the lower beds together and the bunks down (we also have a 6 and 9 yr old) the bunks are only down in the evening and we didn't spend much time in the cabin anyway so space issues didn't matter. We really slept and showered there! Lots of hidden storage space so everything was put away! Have a great trip!

Archived