Just back: Lirica 2/12 - 2/22

SForman

I will write a review when I have time, but I can say that after 19 cruises this is my first and last on MSC. Most people that I spoke to felt the same way and I overheard many conversations on the Customs line that swayed in the same direction.

I will write a review when I have time, but I can say that after 19 cruises this is my first and last on MSC. Most people that I spoke to felt the same way and I overheard many conversations on the Customs line that swayed in the same direction.

I was on this very same cruise, I knew before I booked was it was like from this web site, I had a good time for the most part. The food ranged from poor to very good depending on what you ordered and if it was cooked right. The comedy show on Friday night was a joke and pathetic, the talent show on Saturday night was very good and it was put on by the passengers.

May I ask what now compells you to publish your first post after 19 prior cruises with zero contributions to the forums at CC?

I was on this very same cruise, I knew before I booked was it was like from this web site, I had a good time for the most part. The food ranged from poor to very good depending on what you ordered and if it was cooked right. The comedy show on Friday night was a joke and pathetic, the talent show on Saturday night was very good and it was put on by the passengers.

Yes, it's so helpful to know what to expect so you can plan accordingly and be able to enjoy your cruise.

If you don't mind my asking, would you cruise MSC again?

Yes, it's so helpful to know what to expect so you can plan accordingly and be able to enjoy your cruise.

Excellent point!

On land, it would be like choosing between a Sleep Inn or a Comfort Inn or a Quality or a Clarion. You have expectations for each brand.

I sailed Lirica a couple years ago and it was my least favorite ship. I had much better experiences on World Explorer, NCL and Celebrity. Plus I sailed the QM2 to Europe in order to take the Lirica cruise - the comparison really is unfair.

But, if Lirica gave me the same good deal they gave me the last time, I would sail again ... I now know what to expect.

Excellent point!

On land, it would be like choosing between a Sleep Inn or a Comfort Inn or a Quality or a Clarion. You have expectations for each brand.

I sailed Lirica a couple years ago and it was my least favorite ship. I had much better experiences on World Explorer, NCL and Celebrity. Plus I sailed the QM2 to Europe in order to take the Lirica cruise - the comparison really is unfair.

But, if Lirica gave me the same good deal they gave me the last time, I would sail again ... I now know what to expect.

Same here, I booked it for the itinerary, the price and the people I went with. we enjoyed the islands, the ship was very nice and spotless. the food was a little unpredictible....sometimes very good, sometimes a little under or overcooked, sometimes tasteless, sometimes very good.

Everything was in 5 languages which could get to be a little annoying after a while and all the shows were non-verbal due to the many languages spoken. It would have been nice to have one show out of 10 in English and other nights in other languages. I would sail on them if the price was very good and the itinerary was interesting. you get what you pay for.

I also was on this sailing and had a wonderful cruise. I have to say that the dinner entree's left much to be desired on many nights but on others were wonderful. Appetizers, soup, salad and pasta courses were fabulous!! The breakfast buffet was fair, the lunch buffet was hit or miss. The shows though non-verbal were by far some of the best I have ever seen on any ship. I didn't really mind all the languages but I can see where it would get annoying. For the price we paid we had a great trip and if I got the same price again I could see us sailing MSC again. Was it my favorite cruise, no, did I have a great time definately, I think that you make the cruise and as long as you know what you are getting you can make a great cruise out of any ship!!!:rolleyes:

My bad. Confused by carnaval partying.

No problem.

I don't have time for a complete review, but I'll say I didn't have a "bad" time. It was my least favorite cruise. I was in 7101 and in order to get to the side of the bed, we had to climb over the end of the bed and no to be too graphic, it wasn't possible to use the toilt without placing one foot inside of the shower. I went to the reception desk with a description of the room that came from MSC that stated it was 165 sq. ft. and I told the "sweet" young lady that the room was actually 110 sq. ft. and her response was that she couldn't make the room bigger for us. Now that's what I call customer service.

There were other issues, but we chose to laugh most of them off. We were going to be on the cruise for 10 days and we were going to enjoy it. Like I said in my original post, we won't cruise with MSC again. I've been on RCI, HAL, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity and NCL and I'd rather cruise with either of them again, even NCL.

It is the reception desk that has the problems with "service".

I had been on 5 previous cruises and never felt the need to stop by the desk with "issues". However, on Lirica, I needed to stop by the desk a number of times. On one visit I was quietly explaining the situation when the ***** from Buchenwald interrupted us and stated that the person that I was talking to was new and didn't know how to handle the situation . . . I felt so bad for the woman I was speaking to . . . to be humiliated by a "supervisor" in front of a guest is unforgiveable . . .

Needless to say, the B from B was totally unhelpful.

We were on this cruise also and had many issues. Sailed last year and booked this because we got a discount because of an issue last year (big mistake). The staff overall was indifferent and in most cases rude (reception, accounting etc). We talked another couple into going on the cruise and had confirmation for the four of us together at the first seating. Onboard we were both (couples) scheduled for 2nd seating and at different tables. Talked to the head Maiter'D and he said he would see "if he could do something for the next night". There were plenty of tables available he could have seated us at the first seating but refused to do so. The next night we were changed to the first seating but the other couple weren't. The following night they finally changed the other couple to the 1st seating but at a different table. He flatly refused to do anything further and was extremely rude and arrogant. If it weren't for our wait staff the entire cruise would have been miserable. Everything we found to be worse than last years cruise. Unfriendly, unconncerned and ignored customers. We came to the conclusion (don't know if it is true) that because of the overwhelming problems w/ the Orchestra that MSC pulled staff from Lirica and replaced them w/ the inexperiened ones from the Orchestra which were probably all new hires. I asked accounting and reception about reducing the gratuity charged to my account and giving it directly to the wait staff and was told I wasn't permitted to do that. Last year I did this and reception gave me enveoples (and my cabin peoples names) to leave in the cabin for them. Seems there were only a few of the entire staff on board that were there last year. Probably won't sail w/them again knowing what we would be faced with even if they gave me a cruise (won't happen). Spoke w/ many people onboard that had many cruises and went on this because of the price and itenary but said they wouldn't come back to MSC.

No problem.

I don't have time for a complete review, but I'll say I didn't have a "bad" time. It was my least favorite cruise. I was in 7101 and in order to get to the side of the bed, we had to climb over the end of the bed and no to be too graphic, it wasn't possible to use the toilt without placing one foot inside of the shower. I went to the reception desk with a description of the room that came from MSC that stated it was 165 sq. ft. and I told the "sweet" young lady that the room was actually 110 sq. ft. and her response was that she couldn't make the room bigger for us. Now that's what I call customer service.

There were other issues, but we chose to laugh most of them off. We were going to be on the cruise for 10 days and we were going to enjoy it. Like I said in my original post, we won't cruise with MSC again. I've been on RCI, HAL, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity and NCL and I'd rather cruise with either of them again, even NCL.

It sounds like you had a smaller room by the lifeboats, I know someone here posted that one section of the ship had smaller rooms and I think it was on deck #7. I was on deck #9 inside room, It was a good size, did not have to climb over anything to get out of bed or put my foot in the shower to use the toilet.

It sounds like you had a smaller room by the lifeboats, I know someone here posted that one section of the ship had smaller rooms and I think it was on deck #7. I was on deck #9 inside room, It was a good size, did not have to climb over anything to get out of bed or put my foot in the shower to use the toilet.

Yes, it was an obstructed oceanview that I received as an "upgrade".

Yes, it was an obstructed oceanview that I received as an "upgrade".

So you probably paid the inside cabin rate and got "upgraded"

to a smaller room with an obstructive view just above the deck.

HHMMM...I think I am still happy with my roomy inside room with

no view...we had about 4 feet between the foot of the bed and

the bathroom....this was where the corner desk was.

was the foot of the bed up to the bathroom wall?

So you probably paid the inside cabin rate and got "upgraded"

to a smaller room with an obstructive view just above the deck.

HHMMM...I think I am still happy with my roomy inside room with

no view...we had about 4 feet between the foot of the bed and

the bathroom....this was where the corner desk was.

was the foot of the bed up to the bathroom wall?

The worst part was that we had to live out of our luggage because there were no shelves in the 2 small closets.

Even with all of the issues we still had a good time, but it could have been better. We had read all of the reviews and we anticipated some problems. It was unfortunate that we were already in the time period that it would have cost us to cancel by the time we realized it might not be upto par. We met some great people, had fun at every port and really enjoyed most of the shows. The best part was I that had 10 days enjoying the company of my beautiful Wife. It doesn't get much better then that for me.

The worst part was that we had to live out of our luggage because there were no shelves in the 2 small closets.

Definitely sounds like your upgrade was more like a downgrade. All the standard inside cabins have shelves as well as the closet. Still glad to hear that you still enjoyed your trip despite some issue

Can`t understand how you had a good time with all those complaints? Misery begets misery. I sailed on the Lirica 2 yrs ago on a outside cabin & yes it is small, all the brochures & web sites will tell you its 140 sq ft, same as the inside. This ship was built with for the purpose of value cruising. I have sailed in the US on it & a sister ship Sinfonia for 2 wks & enjoyed it, the Europeans who are savvy cruisers raved about the value when I was on the Sefonia, rightfully so. Get over yourself, your t/a should advise you. I for one will be going on again this March. By the way I did sail the Orchestra in Jan & it was great, biggest complainer`s problem was her meat was tough after she ran us all down in her motorized wheelchair(that she did not need).

Can`t understand how you had a good time with all those complaints? Misery begets misery. I sailed on the Lirica 2 yrs ago on a outside cabin & yes it is small, all the brochures & web sites will tell you its 140 sq ft, same as the inside. This ship was built with for the purpose of value cruising. I have sailed in the US on it & a sister ship Sinfonia for 2 wks & enjoyed it, the Europeans who are savvy cruisers raved about the value when I was on the Sefonia, rightfully so. Get over yourself, your t/a should advise you. I for one will be going on again this March. By the way I did sail the Orchestra in Jan & it was great, biggest complainer`s problem was her meat was tough after she ran us all down in her motorized wheelchair(that she did not need).

It appears that the obstructed oceanview cabins on deck 7 are smaller then any other cabins on the ship. What the published size states and what reality is are two different things. With that being said, we were able to overlook the negatives and rise to the occasion. Life is too short to sit around and be misable. I posted what "WE" found to be negative to prepare future guests for for things that they might not enjoy being involved in. I read other peoples reviews and prepared myself for potential situations which was probably the reason I found it so easy to overlook certain aspects of the cruise that I didn't care for.

Boca7,

Were you effected by that major power outage yesterday in the Glades/95 area?

Archived