what are costs on board the MSC Fantasia?

Tui

hi,

I'm new to this group - so sorry if some where deep down in the other notes someone has asked this before... but we due to travel on the MSC Fantasia latter in the year on a Med cruise. I have a family of 5 (2 adults, 2 teanage boys, 1 smallish girl), we have travelled on Princess and Royal Caribbean in the past and we always buy the softdrink package for the cruise. I understand that MSC does not have this package as all drinks are canned - is this true?

Also i understand that they have cocktail packages - does anyone know about these and the costs for these.

Also can someone let me know how much we can expect to pay for wine, beer, soft drinks etc.

We are also hoping to take drinks on board - we found out we could take our own wine on board on the Princess in the Carribean, but not sprits. Does anyone know if we can take softdrinks or wine on this ship? I ask as i see one family got all the items in the mini bar removed and filled up with their own drinks - were these brought on shore?

How have people found the dinning options? Some people have written that they requested early dinning and got put on the late option - i hope they dont do this to us with a child.

Also that people did not get the rooms they booked - and got put in other areas of the ship. I hope they dont do this to us as we have 2 rooms booked and kids in one of them.

Thank you in advance for any feedback or suggestions on cutting costs - as we are saving for this trip and i love cruises but we are a simple family and can not afford large on board charges.

kind regards

Tui

hi,

we always buy the softdrink package for the cruise. I understand that MSC does not have this package as all drinks are canned - is this true?

No, you have the wrong information. You can buy softdrinks packages, wine packages, beer packages and smoothies packages.

Also i understand that they have cocktail packages - does anyone know about these and the costs for these.

I don't drink cocktails so I didn't check this out, sorry.

Also can someone let me know how much we can expect to pay for wine, beer, soft drinks etc.

If I remember correctly a bottle of water is 1.30 euros, a can of soft drink is 2.80 euros and a glass of wine is about 3 euros and upwards. I don't drink beer, so I don't know the price.

Does anyone know if we can take softdrinks or wine on this ship? I ask as i see one family got all the items in the mini bar removed and filled up with their own drinks - were these brought on shore?

The rules say no, you cannot bring any outside drinks. But I heard some people bought wine and water on the excursions and they were not stopped in security later. So I guess you may take a chance:o. We bought soft drinks and water on board and filled our mini bar.

How have people found the dinning options? Some people have written that they requested early dinning and got put on the late option - i hope they dont do this to us with a child.

We asked for a late dining option and got the first. We asked the maitre d about this and the next night we got a table at the second seating. You will see your dining option on the card you receive when checking in, but the check-in counter cannot help you with getting it changed, only the maitre d can do that.

Also that people did not get the rooms they booked - and got put in other areas of the ship. I hope they dont do this to us as we have 2 rooms booked and kids in one of them.

We got the rooms we booked and didn't hear about anyone getting the wrong room.

Thank you in advance for any feedback or suggestions on cutting costs - as we are saving for this trip and i love cruises but we are a simple family and can not afford large on board charges.

We were on a budget too and my tip is to 1)avoid the spa, it is the most expensive activity on board, 2)buy the packages. If you have children you may want to buy the ice cream package as well, the gelato is fantastic!, 3)avoid the excursions; do the tours on you own. Remember to bring maps from home since the tourist bureaus didn't take the opportunity to be present when the ship came in, 4)eat in the restaurants you have already paid for and avoid the other restaurants (but having said that, the food in the Tex-Mex is FANTASTIC!!!).

kind regards

Tui

Have a nice trip!

Hanne

Hello Tui :)

I've not sailed on the Fantasia & Hanne has answered most of your questions, but I'll add a little where I can.

When are you sailing by the way?

hi,

I'm new to this group - so sorry if some where deep down in the other notes someone has asked this before... but we due to travel on the MSC Fantasia latter in the year on a Med cruise. I have a family of 5 (2 adults, 2 teanage boys, 1 smallish girl), we have travelled on Princess and Royal Caribbean in the past and we always buy the softdrink package for the cruise. I understand that MSC does not have this package as all drinks are canned - is this true?

No, as Hanne has said. Some are canned, some are freshly made, draught beer is available etc etc.

Can't really help here either except to say they have a different cocktail of the day, (also coffee..French, Irish, Italian etc) at a special price.

A few package prices for you.

Small beer...14 tickets 32 euros

Large beer...14 tickets 63 euros

Alcoholic cocktails...12 tickets 63 euros

Soft drinks....14 tickets 28 euros

Junior card..5 soft drinks & 5 virgin (non alcoholic) cocktails, 31 euros

Vitamin package...10 smoothies, virgin cocktails or milk shakes, 38 euros

Ice cream package...14 tickets, 25 euros.

We are also hoping to take drinks on board - we found out we could take our own wine on board on the Princess in the Carribean, but not sprits. Does anyone know if we can take softdrinks or wine on this ship? I ask as i see one family got all the items in the mini bar removed and filled up with their own drinks - were these brought on shore?

I've always found it OK to bring on board a couple of bottles of wine, water packages etc.....just in moderate amounts

The Maitre D has to allocate this & a lot will depend on numbers, size of group, how many have asked for first/second seating etc. You can never really tell until you get on board, but if you have asked for first seating & have children I would have thought your chances were better. If not, speak to the Maitre D & he might be able to change it for you.

All cruise lines can do this. It hasn't happened to us. However, I suspect this usually happens if a couple have booked a 4 berth cabin & the cabin is then needed for a family.

kind regards

Tui

Not sure what you have already seen but another couple of threads you might find useful.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=907701

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=902309

Tui

I just remembered one more tip for saving costs - do not use the internet on your own laptop. It was really expensive to hook up and the line isn't too stable either. So if you can live without the net for the duration of your trip, do so:rolleyes:

Hanne

Archived