Taxi shortage at Southampton?

kruznkanuk

I think you have got us down to the two best options. The decision may come down to how well I can pack. We have done the tube from Victoria with one large and one carryon bag. That wasn't packing for a cruise though. If we have two large bags we will have to taxi from the train station either way.

Thanks to Globaliser and John Bull for all your responses. Happy Travels!

Forgot to say thanks! When we booked this cruise most of the hotels and B&Bs were already booked thus we are at the Jury's Inn. Found out here on CC that the boat show was on.

I would be very interested in how you found the Jury's Inn. We are booked there in Oct.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

We arrived on a week day in July at the Ocean terminal on Princess. There were plenty of taxis and no wait at 715. We took a short ride to hertz rental office on quay rd. Nice folks and they opened early so we could sit down and use restrooms. They have fast WiFi too!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been avidly searching for this transfer information and think this thread is where I can get the best advice. My husband and I will arrive on QM2 May 31, 2019. Our travel receipt from our Cunard booking (through our local agent) includes a fee for a "one way transfer ship to Victoria Station/London". Does this mean that we don't need to be concerned with booking our own transportation from Southampton? We need to travel the same day via Eurostar to Paris to pick up a tour group there.

I appreciate in advance any clarification that anyone can provide.

I have been avidly searching for this transfer information and think this thread is where I can get the best advice. My husband and I will arrive on QM2 May 31, 2019. Our travel receipt from our Cunard booking (through our local agent) includes a fee for a "one way transfer ship to Victoria Station/London". Does this mean that we don't need to be concerned with booking our own transportation from Southampton? We need to travel the same day via Eurostar to Paris to pick up a tour group there.

I appreciate in advance any clarification that anyone can provide.

Sounds like you paid for the Cunard bus transfer

Best to confirm with your TA

Sounds like you paid for the Cunard bus transfer

Best to confirm with your TA

Agreed.

London's Victoria coach station is cruise transfers' usual drop-point in central London - but some cruise lines also offer a transfer to London St Pancras, mainly for Eurostar.

So it's worth asking if Cunard offers the St Pancras option.

If it doesn't, from Victoria coach station it's a short walk to the tube (underground) station at Victoria rail station, then a direct tube train on the Victoria line to St Pancras. But I don't know how easy it is to access the tube line with luggage at those stations.

If you prefer to hail a taxi at Victoria coach station it's a 4 mile / 15-20 minute ride. At a very rough guess about £20 (but I'm not a Londoner), you can pay with plastic.

Have you booked Eurostar yet?

If so, what train time?

If not, don't delay too long before booking - prices rise steeply close to the date.

JB :)

If it doesn't, from Victoria coach station it's a short walk to the tube (underground) station at Victoria rail station, then a direct tube train on the Victoria line to St Pancras. But I don't know how easy it is to access the tube line with luggage at those stations.
If you have luggage, it's not a short walk at all. It's just under half a mile to the nearest entrance to the Victoria Line (the steps at the front of the mainline station) and this does not offer step-free access because you have to walk down one storey's worth of steps to ticket hall level. (I think that it may be step-free from ticket hall level via escalators down to the platform, but I haven't done this one recently myself. You need to be adept with luggage on escalators, too - and that is a learned skill.) To get to the true step-free access to the Victoria Line, you need to walk another 200-300 yards on to the northeast corner of the junction of Victoria Street and Bressenden Place, where I think the new (Cardinal Place) entrance to the Victoria Line is.

I think that Kings Cross St Pancras Tube, in contrast, is fine with luggage as it's pretty much a new station which has had all mod cons built in despite the complexities of the different levels inside. There should be plenty of lifts.

Personally, if I were planning to get a Eurostar to Paris on the day of disembarkation, I would avoid Victoria altogether - there is just no point. If there's a ship's transfer to St Pancras, take that. Otherwise, I'd take a fast train to Waterloo and cab to St Pancras. Or a private transfer from Southampton to St Pancras.

But if for some reason there is no alternative to taking the ship's transfer to Victoria (which I doubt), then just cab from Victoria coach station to St Pancras.