transfers

palladian

I think I read a recent thread about this topic---if not here--on the Silversea board. I don't have experience with this port, but I remember reading some very good advice, including the best hotel for Dover. So--you might try a search on this board.

Another vote for Coastal Cars. We used them last month for LGW transfer to Dover and then back again after our cruise. Family-owned business based in Kent and recommended by our Dover B&B. They definitely do LHR transfers as well but not sure about a London city pick-up. Would be worth contacting them. We were very happy with their service.

We vote for Smiths For Airports. We've used them several times: Southampton into London; Southampton to Windsor/Heathrow; London to Heathrow. Friendly and competent drivers, very nice cars, reasonable prices. They do book up, though.

tv24, I agree about Smiths for Airports. We've also used them for LHR to Southampton transfers on a few occasions with excellent results. In this instance, however, I asked them to quote on our LGW transfer to/from Dover and they weren't even in the ballpark. Coastal Cars was more competitive by a significant margin.

tv24, I agree about Smiths for Airports. We've also used them for LHR to Southampton transfers on a few occasions with excellent results. In this instance, however, I asked them to quote on our LGW transfer to/from Dover and they weren't even in the ballpark. Coastal Cars was more competitive by a significant margin.

It pays to shop around!

We have used Majestic Taxi Transfers from LHR into London and also to Southampton the last two years and have been very satisfied. For transfer to Dover this year we were booked with Twelve Transfers--we joined another couple from our CC roll call. Fare was very good(80 pounds a couple) although the car was a little small for the 4 of us. It is about 2 hours or more to Dover from London city center depending on traffic.

On our return from Dover to Heathrow we used Dover Taxis. This worked out great for us. We arranged a two and half hour stop to see Winston Churchill's country home of Chartwell. Then on to our Heathrow hotel. It was 200 pounds plus a tip. Felt this was a very good deal. If you are at all interested in history of Churchill this was the best option we found to see Chartwell(opening scenes from The Darkest Hour filmed there). We tried to do it last year from London but it involved a lot of time, effort(train, taxi, walk, etc.), and cost.

Finally, we have used one of the shared shuttles to Dover. That did not work out too well. They picked us up at our hotel in London(Mayfair area) then proceeded to pick up another couple at a nearby hotel, then onto Heathrow to pick up another group. We were definitely back tracking. Pickup at our hotel was 9:00. We arrived in Dover at 1:00pm.

Hope this helps. If we travel again from Dover, I think we would try to stay in the area the night before and spend the needed time to see Dover castle. Our driver lives in Dover and said you really need a full day to see everything it has to offer.