Preventing moth holes

shipgeeks

Packing day today. Found multiple moth holes in DH's tuxedo pants. More in his best suit. Fortunately, he has a backup of each.

Looking for suggestions on how to prevent future damage. Our cruise closet is not cedar, and moth balls are not appealing.

A fabulous new wool cruise dress is at stake!

There are cedar blocks you can hang in a hang bag and cedar sprays that will keep them active.

Lavender oil will also rid cloth of moths and keep them away.

Do not use plastic hang bags but rather cloth or no-wovens such as the hang bags given out on Crystal Cruises.

• 1 month later...

Besides lavender oil, you can also use dried lavender if you don't appreciate the smell of moth balls (who does?). You can sometimes buy little pillows filled with dry herbs to keep moth away on markets, but you can also do it yourself. But a suit bag will also do the job and keep your clothes safe from further destruction.

I do it the cheap way - buy a big bag of cedar pet bedding & stuff into old stockings/tights, add to closet. I do have some cedar closets that my husband has built, but even then the cedar needs to be refreshed over time (that means I have to sandpaper!) It's easier to add homemade sachets! I've also cut down cedar trees from our woods & sawed small disks to add to the closet. Once I was even energetic enough to drill holes in the disks so I could use over hangers, but I haven't done that in a while. Old stockings + cedar pet bedding - cheap, easy, works!

Agree on the fact you need to clean clothing before you store. And I always avoid storing in plastic!!