What was your experience with a third party excursion?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:27 PM.
62 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
I’m cruising on the Norwegian Bliss on August 18, round trip from Seattle. I found some great deals on exurscions though Alaska Shore Tours. Does anyone have experience with them? Is this a scam? Will we get back to the port in time? I normally book through the cruiseline but I don’t want to pay what they are asking for. They are charging two to three times as much! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
United States
443 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Do a little extra research on your ports and book your excursions directly with the vendor. You'll save a little money on each one and you're not dealing with a go-between. A great example is I've used Dyea Dave Tours in Skagway. I'm dealing with the actual owner and not paying extra for basically nothing. I've saved enough on each excursion to maybe buy lunch for two each time. Not a ton of money but enough to make it worth my while. There are enough recommendations here on Cruise Critic you can easily figure out the operators to contact. Don't be afraid they won't get you back to the ship in time - they have a lot of experience and one bad episode could ruin them. Good luck!
Hamilton, Ontario
2,307 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Cruiseenthusiast101
Has anyone had an experience with booking exurscions though Viator?
I have booked several tours through Viator when we were staying in Rome. We did day tours down to Sorrento and Pompeii, and up to Tuscany. We also booked a Coliseum tour through them. We were very happy with the tours - they were exactly what had been advertised. The guides were good, the transportation was good. I would book through them again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Zaandam July 2, 2018 14 Day Alaskan Explorer
Koningsdam December 10, 2017 10 day Southern Caribbean
Koningsdam April 2,2017 13 days Transatlantic Ft. Lauderdale to Rome
Koningsdam October 24, 2016, 16 days, Trans-Atlantic from Rome
Nieuw Amsterdam Nov 22 2015, 21 days B2B2B Caribbean
Royal Princess Mar 29/15 10 day Southern Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam Nov 30 2014 14 day B2B Eastern/Western Caribbean
Regal Princess Nov 23 2014 7 day E. Caribbean
Zaandam July 11 2014 Alaska - Tracy Arm 7 day
Emerald Princess Mar. 29 2014 10 day E. Caribbean
Maasdam Dec 6 2013 - 14 day Southern Caribbean
Maasdam Apr 1 2013 Eastern Caribbean 11 day
Grand Princess - November 2012 14 day
Emerald Princess - April 2012 10 day
Westerdam -South. Caribbean, Nov. 2011, 7 day
Eurodam - East. Caribbean, October 2010 7 day
1,579 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
The key to Viator is to check reviews. If they only have 1 or 2 reviews they are either brand new, or often, they have had a friend review them and not a real tour.
But some of them are fantastic.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Syracuse, New York
51,767 Posts
Joined May 2000
Sorry, I never recommend using any booking agents. It is simple to just deal DIRECT. No phone tag, wrong information etc.

Most of the agents haven't been to Alaska, and can only give you basic information reading off a script. Worse- you are limiting yourself to only a few vendors based on commissions.

If you don't care who you go with and only looking at price, then certainly it can work.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]
26,885 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
If you list what tours you are interested in, we can help find private vendors they are using or those who do similar tours (for example, there are several whale watching tours so it may be difficult to figure out exactly who they are using).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
State College, PA
33 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
The tours that I was interested in were:
-Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier (Juneau)
-Glacier Point Wilderness Safari (Skagway)
-Some sort of forest walk and boat ride (Skagway)
The last one sounds like the Chilkoot Trail Hike and Float run by Skagway Float Tours. I did this as part of a Triple Adventure Tour including a bike ride with Sockeye Cycling. Great experience, would absolutely recommend.
26,885 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
The tours that I was interested in were:
-Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier (Juneau)
-Glacier Point Wilderness Safari (Skagway)
-Some sort of forest walk and boat ride (Skagway)
Here is how you book Glacier Point Wilderness Safari (excellent choice):

https://www.alaskaexcursions.com/glacier-safari-2/

Juneau:
Whale watching and Mendenhall used to be easily combined but due to changes with entrance to Mendenhall, I am not sure who they are using. You can easily book whale watching of your choice and then take a taxi to Mendenhall Glacier from the pier and spend as much time as you want there as opposed to be confined to the time frame of the tour. This depends on entirely how much time you want to spend hiking at Mendenhall glacier.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
Michigan
2,057 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
We are looking to do the Takshanuk Wilderness Trail on 4x4's on our Skagway port stop. Does anyone have an opinion on this one? Coral?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
June 2018 - Radiance of the Seas - 10 night land & Sea, Alaska
November 2017 - Navigator of the Seas - 9 Night ABC Islands
March 2017 - Harmony of the Seas - 7 night Western Caribbean
December 2016 - Enchantment of the Seas - 4 night - Holiday Cruise.
March 2016 - Jewel of the Seas - 7 Night Southern - Leg 2 - B2B
March 2016 - Jewel of the Seas - 7 night Southern - Leg 1 - B2B
March 2015 - Vision of the Seas - 7 night Western (Adult Kids first cruise)
March 2014 - Adventure of the Seas - 7 night Southern (Leg 2 of Back to Back)

March 2014 - Jewel of the Seas - 7 night Southern (Leg 1 of Back to Back)
March 2013 - Adventure of the Seas - 7 night Southern Caribbean.
February 2011 - Freedom of the Seas - 7 night Eastern Caribbean.
March 2010 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 night Southern Caribbean.
October 2008 - Jewel of the Seas - 7 Night New England/Canada
April 2005 -Splendour of the Seas - 7 Night Western Caribbean

26,885 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by ValerieJo
We are looking to do the Takshanuk Wilderness Trail on 4x4's on our Skagway port stop. Does anyone have an opinion on this one? Coral?
I have not done that tour. Sorry.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
DFW
711 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by Coral
Here is how you book Glacier Point Wilderness Safari (excellent choice):

https://www.alaskaexcursions.com/glacier-safari-2/

Juneau:
Whale watching and Mendenhall used to be easily combined but due to changes with entrance to Mendenhall, I am not sure who they are using. You can easily book whale watching of your choice and then take a taxi to Mendenhall Glacier from the pier and spend as much time as you want there as opposed to be confined to the time frame of the tour. This depends on entirely how much time you want to spend hiking at Mendenhall glacier.
I found a combo whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier tour based on another thread here: http://alaska-shoreexcursions.com/ju...l-glacier-tour
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My friends call me K.C.

Bob's 75th birthday bash - Carnival Victory, June 2004
A Few Good Friends - Carnival Conquest, October 2007
Legacy Boxer Rescue's "Rescuers Unleashed" - Carnival Ecstasy, November 2009
"Rescuers Unleashed," the sequel - Carnival Conquest, November 2010
"Rescuers Unleashed" Here We Go Again - RCCL Navigator of the Seas, November 2014
"Rescuers Unleashed" Eastbound! - Carnival Breeze, December 2015
Family trip of a lifetime - NCL Pearl, July 2018

For every life there is a legacy. Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die.
26,885 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by kcroxyoursox
I found a combo whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier tour based on another thread here: http://alaska-shoreexcursions.com/ju...l-glacier-tour
Correct - but I won't use a booking company for tours. I want to go direct to the original company. If it was me, I would just take a taxi from the whale watching pier to Mendenhall as I don't want to be restricted time wise with a tour.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
Las Vegas
11,993 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Has anyone had an experience with booking exurscions though Viator?
Viator is just a tour booking company. It is usually not difficult to figure out the company that is actually doing the tour to check them out. Also, then the tour company gets to keep all your money instead of splitting it w Viator.

DON.