Jade Live- Norwegian fjords from Hamburg to Southampton.

We will be boarding the Jade this Sunday, July 30th for 10 days with stops in Kristinsand, Haugesund, alesund, Bergen, flam, and gieranger. I've planned private tours in each port. Information on Jade in the fjords has been somewhat scarce so I'll be glad to do my very best to answer any questions about itinerary, rehab photos, etc....

We've been hanging in Amsterdam this week. What a beautiful town indeed. We are staying in the middle of the museum square- walking is super easy everywhere. Highly recommend.

005e2f5471669f239c9893ed3670f3a3.jpg

Looking forward to answering your questions :)

BB

Hi, following along.

I'll be interested in how you find these ports. We were originally booked on a similar itinerary for this year, but changed to Iceland. We are likely to do the fjords in a couple of years.

I'd also be interested in seeing the Cagneys/La Cucina restaurants. It seems quite random at the moment which menus NCL are using, especially in Europe.

It doesn't matter too much, but there are a couple of things on one of the menus that my wife likes, so it would be good if I could let her know.

Enjoy your trip.

We are planning a similar itinerary next year (August 2018) round trip from Hamburg on the Jade for 11 days and would very much like to hear about what you did or didn't like, anything special that shouldn't be missed etc. We also plan to arrange private excursions and would love to hear about yours ... with what company, itineraries ... Thanks in advance for your time and efforts and have a wonderful trip!

Left the Jade 2 Weeks ago, i was at the Hamburg to North Cape Tour. It was fantastic, great ship and awesome crew and Entertainment.

I wish you a fantastic cruise and i will follow.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Forums

For those interested in this itinerary, please don't hesitate to post specific questions- I don't mind doing a little scavenger hunt while in port.

Huntingdob- I can share right now what we have planned. In Haigesund we plan to catch the local bus for aproximately $4.00 to the Viking center and st Olves church in Andense. Will let you know how easy it is.

In gieranger we have the electric twiggy cars rented for 3 hours- they look adorable. We also have a rib boat ride planned in the afternoon of gieranger. Here's the twiggy cars- super cute and you do not need an international drivers license to drive (in case anyone is wondering).

e8c7a9bbd5838eec8870e691b469df84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you have planned for Bergen? That and Alesund are the only two ports which we are also doing next month. We have Alesund organised, but haven't got any plans for Bergen yet. We will probably just wander round the town and maybe go up the Cable Car, but will be interested if you find anything particularly worth seeing.

We were on the mid-June Norway from Southampton cruise and there were some issues on the day we did Hellesylt/Geiranger. I think it was the first call there after the road between Hellesylt and Geiranger had opened afer winter for the land excusions between the two places to get through the high passes.

We were only supposed to dock for half an hour in Hellesylt to let the people who were doing the land trip over the mountains. However, someone made the mistake of letting passengers off to look around the village and some really helpful ones didn't keep to the tight schedule and we ended up wasting about 45 minutes extra while they were rounded up. That delay rippled through to over an hour delay to completing mooring to the floating dock at Geiranger. The problem then was that there was only one set of coaches for the excursions up to the top of Dalsniba mountain for both morning and afternoon groups and so there was plenty of chaos around the dock around lunchtime. The second lot of trips were a bit late getting back and the departure was a bit of a rush in the end.

We went up to the top of Dalsniba and the view from four miles up on the new viewpoint was absolutely astounding. We were very lucky in that the clouds parted a bit while were were there and looking down at the tiny ship put the shear size of the whole place into real perspective. On the way back we carried on past the ship and went up the zig-zag Eagle Road to the high viewpoint about half way between the port and the Seven Sisters falls.

The oddest part of the day was that the TV channel happened to be running a Nat Geo documentary about a crack that has appeared in one of the sides of the fjord that means that sometime in the not too distant future the mountain will slip and create an 80 metre tsunami both ways. It was a bit like being up in an aircraft watching an episode of Air Crash Investigation!! Despite the issues, that day was quite the most impressive element of the whole cruise - not to be missed.

Following along as well. We're doing the 14 night with Iceland in September so a couple of the same ports. Ended up renting a car in many ports for the day. Was a little late with decisions and the smaller non ship group tours were all full. Purchased Bergen funicular tickets ahead of time. Interested in reading about your travels. Have a wonderful cruise. We purchased the spa passes for a slightly discounted price ahead of time and the unlimited internet just because husband has to do some work. I guess a little less painful to pay now instead of seeing a big bill at the end of vacation.

For those interested in this itinerary, please don't hesitate to post specific questions- I don't mind doing a little scavenger hunt while in port.

Huntingdob- I can share right now what we have planned. In Haigesund we plan to catch the local bus for aproximately $4.00 to the Viking center and st Olves church in Andense. Will let you know how easy it is.

In gieranger we have the electric twiggy cars rented for 3 hours- they look adorable. We also have a rib boat ride planned in the afternoon of gieranger. Here's the twiggy cars- super cute and you do not need an international drivers license to drive (in case anyone is wondering).

e8c7a9bbd5838eec8870e691b469df84.jpg

Thanks I've not seen anything about those cars before! Where did you find out about them? Also very interested in the rib ride.

Thanks I've not seen anything about those cars before! Where did you find out about them? Also very interested in the rib ride.

I did most of my research with trip advisor and cc Northern Europe. The reviews of emobility are terrific and both offices (flam and gieranger) were extremely easy to deal with. Very impressed pre-arrival experience :). I believe the site is emobility dot com (or something very similar). You can rent in both flam and gieranger. We went with gieranger simply because our plan was to ride the 7:30 train from flam to Myrdal and walk back. Thanks to a savoy post from a member of our cc meet and greet, we changed to riding a bike back down from Myrdal.

What do you have planned for Bergen? That and Alesund are the only two ports which we are also doing next month. We have Alesund organised, but haven't got any plans for Bergen yet. We will probably just wander round the town and maybe go up the Cable Car, but will be interested if you find anything particularly worth seeing.

We are In Bergen from 8-7pm. We booked the fjord tour to monostrum from Norway excursions (also #1 in trip advisor). It's a 3 hour tour for $65 leaving at 10am, which we felt very fair. I realize our ship will also sail close to the fjords, but I wanted to get close like only a small tour can do. Our boat tour is 10-1 . After that will will most likely do some hiking from the top of the funicular. We feel Bergen will be easy to fill time, especially with the long port days.

Keith when we were in Bergen last month with our kids 11 and 13 here is what we did. We went up the Funicular and they loved the park at the top. At this time the rowboats were not yet operating. We then came down and met up with a gentleman who took us kayaking which was a lot of fun.

This was the only town we would have liked more time to do some shopping. It was so big compared to the other stops.

Norway was great to spend time as a family.

In Flam we LOVED the RIB ride....highlight of the trip for the kids.

Looking forward to following along. We're booked next June on the 12 day out of Southampton. We are also booked on the Jade in 2 months for Canada. We're most interested to see a couple photos of the common thermal spa area to determine if we should buy spa passes. I've found it very difficult to find good photos. Would appreciate it if you are able to take a couple photos to share. Thanks! Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Following along and hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Would love to know where you experience long queues or slow service etc so we can avoid our little ones getting mischievous [emoji57]

Nadeki - please could you give some more information on the Kayak gentlemen, this is just what I want for my wife and daughter.

Many thanks

Mark

Following along and hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Would love to know where you experience long queues or slow service etc so we can avoid our little ones getting mischievous [emoji57]

Nadeki - please could you give some more information on the Kayak gentlemen, this is just what I want for my wife and daughter.

Many thanks

Mark

I am not at home now to find the exact website....you will find him if you search SVEIN in Bergen...he is highly rated on trip advisor....and was a great way to spend a few hours....

He will remember us as my brother in law fell out of the kayak as it entered the water! Actually that was the best part of the day :)

He speaks very good English and was patient with us as we were all beginners. You wear complete gear for safety and warmth.

He had options for as many hours as we wanted to participate.You could spend the whole day and go to the fish market etc.

I will check later if you have not been able to locate him I did all contact via email and paid that day. His location is in walking distance...just take a map. I forgot mine and we took the long way but we did get there eventually. The route back to ship was much quicker.

We will be boarding Jade August 9, same day you leave the ship so I was delighted to see this thread!

We will be in Haugesund on a Tuesday but only from 8 to 3 and intend to visit the History Center and church via public bus. I've been communicating with the Tourist Center but am still unsure of some details, ie, can both the bus tix and entry be purchased at the Tourist Center with a credit card, where we actually board the bus and at what time---so whatever info you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Also, in Alesund, is the road to Aksla open? We want to take the little train.

Thanks in advance. Have a wonderful cruise! Hoping for great weather for you and for us!

Carolyn

Ok- im writing these down

1. Photos of thermal area

2. Queues

3. Haugesund bus experience

4. Aksla road opening date

Langleyfld- In Bergen, we will meet the tour boat at the fish market. Jade docks at the far terminals and I believe a transfer is provided into town. Will let you know.

Still enjoying Amsterdam! Tomorrow we travel to Hamburg

49a9a06922ca78f9652d1b9485df5003.jpg

We have arrived in Hamburg. Had a lovely train ride from Amsterdam through osonobruk and the weather in Hamburg is quite nice at the moment.

For those spending time in Hamburg, I am very impressed with our resort "clipper elb". It's a bit hard to book online as these are apartments/condos which do not turn up on the major sites like TA or hotelsdotcom.

This hotel is within walking distance of altona train station (approximately 1 mile downhill).

The best thing about clipper elb is that it is situated extremely close to port altona. We can watch the jade sail in tomorrow morning and can see her docked from our room. A stones throw away.

The hotel also has laundry machines. I plan to do two quick loads so everything is clean). Packing for nearly 4 weeks was difficult as we are extending the cruise another week in Southampton and London.

Anyway- here is a plug for what I believe to be an excellent resort in a prime location.

a18a467323b41f87148ff2570f1dfa48.jpg

0aa632196daa31e3fcf080c563f13000.jpg

698b308a4988d3013e513c4861573e41.jpg

a1f3a9ef11fef9080fe34e1252348007.jpg

d7a8e3b7209cf02d92b44ff7e1c578be.jpg