Carnival upper Pullman

Nelsonb1982

Do the mattresses come off the upper Pullman? Carnival told me they can't be removed but we have 2 small children and will need one of them to be on the couch and one on the floor so I hope the mattress can be removed to be put on the floor. Anyone do this in the past?

The barrier depends on the ship, but the ones we've seen (mostly Conquest class ships lately) are a single upside down U-shaped rail that covers about 1/2 the side of the bed and wobbles quite a bit. OK for an adult and maybe a child that rarely moves, but not for an child with any sort of movement during sleep. Of course, that's a personal judgment.

The mattresses can be moved to the floor. It's a bit unwieldy, but we've done it many times. However, you should put it back up in the morning, as we were told on a cruise 4 or 5 years ago that it's against safety policy to have someone sleeping on the floor. We've never tested what they might do if we were caught, but it takes too much of the floor space anyway.

The last cruise I was on a little girl maybe 5 had fallen out of the Pullman and hit her face or head on a piece of furniture. I was walking back to my cabin and the dad was carrying the crying girl in his arms and rushing to medical, the cabin steward told me what had happened. If you have any doubts find a way to have your child sleep on the floor or one of the other beds. My son is only 2 and still in a crib but he is a crazy sleeper it might be a very very long time before I would trust him in a Pullman. I would sleep in the Pullman myself and have the lower beds set up into twins for him and hubby, hubby is way to tall and possibly to heavy to sleep in a Pullman.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our small 3 year olds (under 40" at the time and under 33lbs) took turns sleeping nightly on the upper bed without issues. We bought inflatable pool noodles and placed them under the fitted sheet to add an extra barrier. We were worried, but it really worked out wonderfully!

One thing to know is that some Carnival ships have sofa beds with a roll out trundle. Triumph has these, which are wonderful for small children. Might be worth checking into for other ships!

If you just know you can't put a child on the upper, I'd do feet to feet on the sofa bed or either bring a foldable cot (Regalo makes a neat one) for the second child. We always travelled with Shrunks inflatable crib-size mattresses, though they will be a small pain to store during the day.