Currency of tips onboard

adstz

Heading out soon for Australia then a cruise around New Zealand.

I am bringing very little local currency ($50 USD for each country) as my plan is to charge everything.

At the end of the cruise we usually like to give cash tips to the crew for exceptional service. (auto tips left on) Can I give them USD or should I get extra NZD for that?

What ever is easiest for you. I'm sure they'll be more than happy with USD but if you don't want to travel with a lot of currency then AUD or NZD is acceptable. We usually tip in AUD on local cruises as that's easiest for us.

It's preferable to align with onboard currency. Based on your sailing history I suspect it's a princess cruise so likely AUD onboard.

That said, USD is readily convertible, especially as many service staff are overseas based, so USD will likely be fine too.

I am bringing very little local currency ($50 USD for each country) as my plan is to charge everything.

At the end of the cruise we usually like to give cash tips to the crew for exceptional service. (auto tips left on) Can I give them USD or should I get extra NZD for that?

I’ve been in a shop on shore and seen crew doing some shopping, I know one pulled out a wad of money to pay, among his money I saw Aus$, NZ$, US$, Euro, ponds, Yen and some others I didn’t recognise, that was a Circumnavigation of australia and NZ, so I really doubt they care.

Staff on board cruise ship get payed in US$ . You have US$ no problem no exchanging no commissions Staff will be sending it home to there family's.

Does the cash tip go into the recipient's pocket, or does it go back to the ship for redistribution?

If the first, then exchanging currency might be a problem. If the second, the ship would take care of it.

This is what I've always understood to be the case:

On Aussie-based ships for those who booked in Australia and NZ (where there are no daily gratuities) then the recipient can keep any cash tips.

Where daily gratuities are charged it depends on whether the guest removes the gratuities or not. If they do remove them then the recipient has to hand in any cash tips to go into the tipping pool, but if the daily gratuities are paid then cash tips are returned to the recipient to keep.

Does the cash tip go into the recipient's pocket, or does it go back to the ship for redistribution?

If the first, then exchanging currency might be a problem. If the second, the ship would take care of it.

I thought the discussion was what currency is most convenient for the crew.

It seems the answer is that it depends on whether the tide is high and the moon is full.

It was but you asked if the tip goes to the person or the ship to be redistributed. Ideally they would probably like USD but then GBP is a stronger currency so I would think any currency would do as a tip.

The crew contract actually says that all cash tips must be handed in.

It doesnt differentiate between auto tips on or off, BUT is also silent on what happens after they are handed in.

Well that’s what the one I saw said, but it would now be a few years old.

Yes US$ is the best for staff to send home to there family wherever in the whole wide world they are :)

Therefore it wouldn't matter what currency is used.

There is a loss and commission every time you change money so there is a diffrence , Therefore if OP has US$ why would you change to NZ$ ? Not many NZ staff on ships.

There is a loss and commission every time you change money so there is a diffrence , Therefore if OP has US$ why would you change to NZ$ ? Not many NZ staff on ships.

The OP can tip in whatever currency they want and as it is for tips, the staff will have to pool them and then get their share back in whatever currency they want..

The OP can tip in whatever currency they want and as it is for tips, the staff will have to pool them and then get their share back in whatever currency they want..

If local Princess cruises as it appears to be they do not pool as their remuneration is not reliant on tips. Any tips are extra for the individual.

The OP can still tip in what ever currency they want. It is a reward for service after all.

Yes, but then if it's a "reward for service" the respectful thing to do is pay in their regular currency, rather than just whatever is convenient to you.

Yes, but then if it's a "reward for service" the respectful thing to do is pay in their regular currency, rather than just whatever is convenient to you.

Ahhh but what is ‘Their regular currency”

The one the6 can use where they are

The one they can use “at home”

The one the rest of their pay comes in

The one on the ship

Hard to say really as they could all be different

Which is what? pesos?, euros? rael? , what is their regular currency, it can depend where their home is or where the ship is sailing .

Here in Australia, the ship's on board account could be AUD, or USD, but I reckon the staff wouldn't say no to either.