Easiest and cheapest way to get from airport to cruise terminal in New Orleans?

luvmy2boyzz

I planned to just grab a cab from the airport to cruise terminal but I saw on a fb group post that taxi's charge a per person fee plus metered fare? I have never seen a per person fee for a taxi? Carnival transfers are $23.50 per person I have 4 people, do you think this would be cheaper and easier than catching a cab? I have used Uber in the past but some airports don't allow pick up and my flight gets in at 9:40 am on Thursday. I have an arrival appointment of 11:30-12 not sure I have enough time to wait around for Uber either, sometimes they come in 5 minutes and sometimes they get lost and don't come at all!

Suggestions?

That info is completely wrong!

There is no per person charge in a taxi in New Orleans.

In fact when we were there the fare from the airport into town was a flat fare which was only a dollar or 2 different than using Uber . I don't know if that was changed but I'd ask some New Orleans people about it and not Facebook people.

Uber can take you to MSY, but they can't (legally) pick you up from the airport. Taxis in NOLA do charge per-person to take you to the port, or the FQ, or across the Crescent City Connection. They are regulated in theory but not in reality. Calling Metry Cab (Google it) and scheduling a pickup from the airport works -- we've done it -- and they always seem to be on the up-and-up. Or use Carnival's service. Welcome to New Orleans!

OK I see the confusion. The flat fare is $36 for up to 2 people.

IF you are a larger family group then there is a $15 fee for each person more than 2.

Soo for 2 people taking a taxi from the airport to the port is just fine.

IF you have more than 2 people in your group then you can use uber which picks up in a special area at the airport now. This explains where to get picked up:

https://www.uber.com/airports/msy/

Easiest is a cab. They ARE regulated. As noted above, it's a flat fee for up to 2 with an additional charge for each additional passenger. I can't recall the exact amount, but the fare quoted by riffatsea above is in line with my recollection. I have traveled from the airport to the area many times and it's always the same. I have never experienced any driver trying to get around the system, as alluded to above. It's posted in the cab and on the paperwork you are given by the cab stand attendant. The cab stand is just outside the baggage claim area and is very easy to find. Just exit the airport and line up a the cab stand. Every time I have use a cab from MSY, it has been a minivan, thus you should have adequate space for 4, even with a week's worth of luggage.

Just did this trip last week. There is an area at the airport (across from the taxi stands) where Uber picks up. There were five of us traveling with luggage so we rode in two Uber’s...still way less then the cab. No issues either way and the Uber arrived within 5-10 minutes of being requested.

Airport Shuttle New Orleans dot com offers service from the airport to the cruise port for $24 per person or $44 round trip. They are constantly loading a van outside the baggage claim area. You can purchase the tickets right in the baggage claim area at baggage claim # 1, 5, 9, 11, and 12, or if you sign up on their website, they occasionally send out discount offers when you book online. They may not be the cheapest, but you wouldn't have to wait for a bus to fill up and leave (their vehicles are smaller than buses). And you wouldn't have to worry about an Uber showing up or not. If you do decide to use Uber, they charge a $4 surcharge for airport pickup. It's about a 25 minute ride to the cruise port (without traffic delays), or about 15 miles.

"not sure I have enough time to wait around for Uber either, sometimes they come in 5 minutes and sometimes they get lost and don't come at all!"

I have taken over 100 Uber rides and never heard of one not showing up. New Orleans airport did have a ban on Ubers a few years ago which has been lifted. Although it is price controlled, as not to undercut taxi rates.

"not sure I have enough time to wait around for Uber either, sometimes they come in 5 minutes and sometimes they get lost and don't come at all!"

I have taken over 100 Uber rides and never heard of one not showing up. New Orleans airport did have a ban on Ubers a few years ago which has been lifted. Although it is price controlled, as not to undercut taxi rates.

Uber in Vegas showed up at the hotel across the street and ended up canceling on us. Uber in New York showed up one street over and canceled on me. :(

I will probably go the taxi route now that I know it is a flat per person fee and not per person plus meter. It's stressful when you are traveling to an unfamiliar city for the first time, thanks for taking time to help me out! :)

Tracy

Up to you Tracy but we just did a Uber; driver Lyft too so poss why he could be airport p/up & same situation from New Orleans port back to airport at end of trip. At airport there is a designated area for app pick up rides. Very organized, just ask someone at airport where to go to meet the driver. App showed how far away driver was & he was there promptly. Less than a cab when you have 4 people even when we ordered a larger sized vehicle because of all the luggage the 4 of us had.

We did the transfer off the ship to the airport and was so easy. They were waiting just outside the door. Would def do again especially in New Orleans. Not sure how arrival is as we came the day before and did the taxi to hotel which was about 30 something.

Henry Lee's price is the same as the normal taxi flat rate(for 2) Not sure about for more people?

I tried to book him but it got complicated when he wanted to send his daughter for us and we didn't understand where to meet her so ended up cancelling and taking a taxi.