Creating NO Onboard Account. Possible?

B+S

Ok, I just signed nearly all of my rights away while registering for an upcoming NCL cruise. I paid special attention to all the subsections. Saw not one place where I agreed to being required to either hand over a credit card OR a required $ figure in cash with which to create an On-board Account. It is implied in the FAQ's but not REQUIRED in the contract.

So, here's where I admittedly get a little weird. Then I'll get to my question. Hate me if needed, but I don't like the ship board "for pay" products, and, would prefer to pay my gratuities myself. So... (and I don't drink)... so... will I be FORCED to hand over a set amount of cash in lieu of a credit card?

I don't see it in anything I agreed to. Hypothetically, what if I were show up with $1.00 in my wallet and no credit cards? Cruise contract does not say.... could they deny my boarding? What if I simply refuse to create an account at all?

Thanks. Happy Sailing!

Ok, I just signed nearly all of my rights away while registering for an upcoming NCL cruise. I paid special attention to all the subsections. Saw not one place where I agreed to being required to either hand over a credit card OR a required $ figure in cash with which to create an On-board Account. It is implied in the FAQ's but not REQUIRED in the contract.

So, here's where I admittedly get a little weird. Then I'll get to my question. Hate me if needed, but I don't like the ship board "for pay" products, and, would prefer to pay my gratuities myself. So... (and I don't drink)... so... will I be FORCED to hand over a set amount of cash in lieu of a credit card?

I don't see it in anything I agreed to. Hypothetically, what if I were show up with $1.00 in my wallet and no credit cards? Cruise contract does not say.... could they deny my boarding? What if I simply refuse to create an account at all?

Thanks. Happy Sailing!

When at the embarkation counter they will ask for a card and you will say that you will be using a cash account. They will allow you to board and will tell you to go to guest services to put down your cash. Now that is up to you if you actually go and hand cash over but your ship card will be useless. I’m not even sure if you will be able to order a drink.

And then there is the issue of the DSC. Of which that will be charged to your onboard account daily. So I’m sure they will track you down and at least make you put that much on your account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Moby0215

Enjoy your embarkation port.

Why clog up the checkin lines? $300 per person cash if you don’t want to leave a card.

Since you will be charged daily service charge, your non-zero balance will prevent you from disembarking. Pay and request refund after the cruise, but you need an account.

Edited by BirdTravels

This is a novel way to start yet another “tip” thread.

Unless you prepay gratuities, which obviously you will not, you will be charged the service charge per person for every day of the cruise. So, they will expect that you will not end up with a zero balance. The contract does say “subject to adjustment” but not “removal”, so that’s non-zero. The FAQ states that adjustment is because you had a problem, complained about onboard, and it was not resolved to your satisfaction. So, pre-board is a bit early to have a problem that hadn’t been resolved.

Also, any hospitality provider will still want a deposit of some sort to cover anything you might charge to your room. This is industry practice - I have stayed in a hotel with no pay-per-view, restaurant or room service for one night, pre-paid, and they still wanted a credit card. I assume it is to cover damages or theft (who doesn’t love hotel towels?)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a novel way to start yet another “tip” thread.

Unless you prepay gratuities, which obviously you will not, you will be charged the service charge per person for every day of the cruise. So, they will expect that you will not end up with a zero balance. The contract does say “subject to adjustment” but not “removal”, so that’s non-zero.

Also, any hospitality provider will still want a deposit of some sort to cover anything you might charge to your room. This is industry practice - I have stayed in a hotel with no pay-per-view, restaurant or room service for one night, pre-paid, and they still wanted a credit card. I assume it is to cover damages or theft (who doesn’t love hotel towels?)

Thanks - I don't mind tipping, truly. (but the "Service Charge" is indeed another matter) I guess it's my combative way of opposing all the nickel and dime intrusions.

When at the embarkation counter they will ask for a card and you will say that you will be using a cash account. They will allow you to board and will tell you to go to guest services to put down your cash. Now that is up to you if you actually go and hand cash over but your ship card will be useless. I’m not even sure if you will be able to order a drink.

And then there is the issue of the DSC. Of which that will be charged to your onboard account daily. So I’m sure they will track you down and at least make you put that much on your account.

Thank you! - Sounds like you know what you're talking about. And as I mentioned, I don't drink.... really!

Thanks - I don't mind tipping, truly. (but the "Service Charge" is indeed another matter) I guess it's my combative way of opposing all the nickel and dime intrusions.

The service charge is not nickel and dime. It’s a known charge that everyone has to pay. You are welcome to request a removal of the DSC but YMMV if they will do it onboard or send you a refund 6-8 weeks later.

The service charge is not nickel and dime. It’s a known charge that everyone has to pay. You are welcome to request a removal of the DSC but YMMV if they will do it onboard or send you a refund 6-8 weeks later.

The "Service Charge" is not mentioned in the cruise contract. How would they charge that if I don't have a shipboard credit card or cash again???

The "Service Charge" is not mentioned in the cruise contract. How would they charge that if I don't have a shipboard credit card or cash again???

In Section 3 of the Cruise Contract (Terms of Fare):

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

In Section 3 of the Cruise Contract (Terms of Fare):

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

Oh Good Job XRIVA! You found it. My bad! But still .... murky. Thank you!

You agreed to the service charge even though you have the option to adjust it at your discretion. You also agreed to pay a possible fuel supplement charge. It will be more than the $1 on your account. :p

Oh the fuel charge! We're really getting close to the magic $65 on that! You are so right! ($64.51 right now)

Enjoy your embarkation port.

Why clog up the checkin lines? $300 per person cash if you don’t want to leave a card.

Since you will be charged daily service charge, your non-zero balance will prevent you from disembarking. Pay and request refund after the cruise, but you need an account.

I think you have the exact functional answer procedure wise. I guess they've thought of everything. Thank you, BirdTravels!

You might need to read the contract again. Here is one sentence except: “Fares do not include certain taxes, fees, port expenses and charges imposed by governmental or quasi- governmental authorities, including port authorities, service charges or the cost of the fuel supplement”

You might need to read the contract again. Here is one sentence except: “Fares do not include certain taxes, fees, port expenses and charges imposed by governmental or quasi- governmental authorities, including port authorities, service charges or the cost of the fuel supplement”

Proof that there's a lot of smart people around here... including you! Thanks Moby.

I know someone that thought they paid the daily service charge, when they booked their cruise. Didn't realize that it was the tips for the UBP. (their first cruise) Anyway, they didn't put a credit card down, and went to guest services to put money on their account. By the third day, their cards didn't work. They couldn't get a drink, or even access their room. So, they will make you put a specific amount of cash down on your room.

You picked the wrong cruise line for that.

Put $100 cash on your account and pick up your change on the way out. Don't be cheap.

I really think you should try this ... but hold your ground! Don't let them fool you into thinking the ship will leave without you. Please report back after your cruise.

This reminds me of those YouTube videos where people starting quoting the Articles of Confederation at cops and then are shocked when they end up in cuffs.

You can’t disembark until you’ve settled your bill. Maybe you could stand your ground and pretend you don’t care as eventually they will want you off, but is all the angst and drama worth it just so you can avoid the daily service charge?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not know if this is a serious thread, but I can tell you our experience. We prepay gratuities and do not give a credit card. When they check you in, they tell you that you can put cash on your account. We usually do not until a day or so in. Sometimes there is OBC already on it. If you decide not to use your card, you do not ever have to put cash on it.

I do not know if this is a serious thread, but I can tell you our experience. We prepay gratuities and do not give a credit card. When they check you in, they tell you that you can put cash on your account. We usually do not until a day or so in. Sometimes there is OBC already on it. If you decide not to use your card, you do not ever have to put cash on it.

Thanks for your input, Cafedumonde. I was actually asking - first time with NCL.

You can’t disembark until you’ve settled your bill. Maybe you could stand your ground and pretend you don’t care as eventually they will want you off, but is all the angst and drama worth it just so you can avoid the daily service charge? Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never said this was about the service charge. I don't care to make a scene either. Thanks for your perspective though.