Big Changes All Around it Seems

rtkenmore

Ran across this article this evening.. It seems NCL is shaking up home ports across the board for 2018/19/20. Some very interesting tidbits.

Breakaway to NOLA in Winter 2018/19 we knew but this says Getaway to NOLA for Winter 2019/20.

Epic apparently to do some time in San Juan. Breakaway going to Port Canaveral...

I'm especially curious about Epic in San Juan as I have a cruise booked on Dawn for January 2019... And now I'm wondering if we'll be moved to Epic as I can't imagine they will be home-porting two ships in San Juan at the same time.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/where-norwegian-is-heading-in-2019-20.html?utm_content=65803780&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

The Epic itineraries also caught my attention, December 8 is a Saturday, so if that’s when she will begin weekly cruise, it shouldn’t effect Dawn which leaves on Sundays.

Travelers can also sail to San Juan aboard the Norwegian Epic—the youngest and largest home-porting in Puerto Rico—from December 8, 2018, to March 15, 2019. Its weeklong Southern Caribbean cruises will sail to Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao; Kralendijk, Bonaire; Castries, St. Lucia and Basseterre, St. Kitts.

10 and 11-day varieties will also go to Bridgetown, Barbados; St. John's, Antigua; Philipsburg, St. Maarten and St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands.

The Epic itineraries also caught my attention, will be looking later today when they are hopefully online

Travelers can also sail to San Juan aboard the Norwegian Epic—the youngest and largest home-porting in Puerto Rico—from December 8, 2018, to March 15, 2019. Its weeklong Southern Caribbean cruises will sail to Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao; Kralendijk, Bonaire; Castries, St. Lucia and Basseterre, St. Kitts.

10 and 11-day varieties will also go to Bridgetown, Barbados; St. John's, Antigua; Philipsburg, St. Maarten and St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands.

I have to say, if we get moved from Dawn to Epic, I'll be a bit disappointed. We're looking forward to Dawn because of it's smaller size and so far from looking at CruiseTimetables.com, we're the only ship in many ports for our trip. We figured it would be a much more laid back and relaxed trip without being too overcrowded in port but Epic will change that dynamic slightly. Plus, we've sailed on Epic twice already before and we're not huge fans of the bathroom set up in the cabins.

The Epic itineraries also caught my attention, December 8 is a Saturday, so if that’s when she will begin weekly cruise, it shouldn’t effect Dawn which leaves on Sundays.

The other flip side that I had not even considered until just now though... We're booked in an ocean view category on Dawn and Epic has no such category... Epic is ALL balcony so I would assume NCL upgrades our reservation to a balcony room if we did get moved to Epic. Surely they wouldn't downgrade us from Ocean View to Inside.

Ran across this article this evening.. It seems NCL is shaking up home ports across the board for 2018/19/20. Some very interesting tidbits.

Breakaway to NOLA in Winter 2018/19 we knew but this says Getaway to NOLA for Winter 2019/20.

Epic apparently to do some time in San Juan. Breakaway going to Port Canaveral...

I'm especially curious about Epic in San Juan as I have a cruise booked on Dawn for January 2019... And now I'm wondering if we'll be moved to Epic as I can't imagine they will be home-porting two ships in San Juan at the same time.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/where-norwegian-is-heading-in-2019-20.html?utm_content=65803780&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

I really, really, REALLY hope the news about the Epic is incorrect. I just booked Epic out of Port Canaveral a few days ago for 15 Dec 2018. I scanned the article, but didn’t see a comparable replacement in PC for Epic until 2019 - did I miss something? :eek::mad:

I really, really, REALLY hope the news about the Epic is incorrect. I just booked Epic out of Port Canaveral a few days ago for 15 Dec 2018. I scanned the article, but didn’t see a comparable replacement in PC for Epic until 2019 - did I miss something? :eek::mad:

Winter 2018/2019 has the following confirmed...

Breakaway sailing from NOLA

Bliss from Miami

Escape from NYC

Getaway is currently listed as Miami and Epic as Port Canaveral. If the article is right and Epic is moving to San Juan, I wonder if they would move Getaway to Port Canaveral and leave only one mega ship to winter in Miami?

It really is kind of throwing everything up in the air though...

The article seems to confirm these for Winter 2019/2020...

Bliss sailing from NYC

Getaway from NOLA

Breakaway from Port Canaveral

Escape from Miami

No real mention of where Epic will winter though for 2019/2020.

Ncl reservation website shows the epic at San Juan starting Dec 08 - 15, 2019

SUN - SUN, not 2018. I suspect someone made a mistake. Scared me for a minute because we are booked on the epic April/2019 TA to Barcelona.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm still waiting on summer 2019 info to be completed. Right now, the Breakaway is the only NCL ship sailing to the Caribbean during summer 2019.

Unless they make a change to the schedule,Breakaway will be the only ship for the summer in the Caribbean. All the other ships have their schedules out for that time period.

It really is kind of throwing everything up in the air though...

The article seems to confirm these for Winter 2019/2020...

Bliss sailing from NYC

Getaway from NOLA

Breakaway from Port Canaveral

Escape from Miami

No real mention of where Epic will winter though for 2019/2020.

Just looked online. Epic is in Puerto Rico for winter 2019/2020. Website still has it in Orlando for winter 2018/2019.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This schedule provides more evidence that Norwegian may be redeploying Breakaway Plus IV to the Caribbean. There's a glaring hole in the newly released schedule - Eastern Caribbean from Miami. This itinerary has always had the line's newest and best ship on it. As it stands now, only Escape is in Miami and it's doing the Western route that Getaway currently does. This means something new has to be coming that they aren't announcing yet to fill the Eastern route.

besides the Bliss, what other ship will be cruising in the winter out of NYC? seems odd to have only one ship out of NYC during the winter months when they used to have two.

For the Winter 2019, the Dawn and the Gem.

I’m excited about the change up! While I loved the Epic, we just booked the Breakaway out of PC for Dec 2019. Can’t wait!

This schedule provides more evidence that Norwegian may be redeploying Breakaway Plus IV to the Caribbean. There's a glaring hole in the newly released schedule - Eastern Caribbean from Miami. This itinerary has always had the line's newest and best ship on it. As it stands now, only Escape is in Miami and it's doing the Western route that Getaway currently does. This means something new has to be coming that they aren't announcing yet to fill the Eastern route.

I was wondering about Eastern from Miami. We love the Eastern route with hopefully more sea days.

What you have theorized sounds like an awesome answer to this riddle.:ship:(yn)(y)

I just booked the Sun for South America in March, 2019 and heard they will replace her for the Star come December, 2019. Is the Star a bigger/better ship than the Sun?
Would probably be better to ask this question in a new thread as you'd get more responses but I'll give it a try. The Star is bigger with 1172 cabins holding from 2344 to 2813 passengers compared to the Sun with 968 cabins holding from 1936 to 2323 passengers. Part of the reason the Star has more cabins and holds more passengers is that the forward facing observation lounge was replaced by a combination of suites and inside staterooms. This is good if you are staying in one of those suites (we have) but a drawback otherwise.

The Sun has a nice forward facing Observation Lounge with a public deck in front of it. The Sun also has the aft facing open air Great Outdoors Cafe to the rear of the Garden Cafe buffet area. Both areas are great for viewing, relaxing and taking photos. The Sun has some good size staterooms and even some of the inside cabins have a couch seating area. We've been on both the Sun and the Star a couple times and I would pick the Sun due to the lack of the observation lounge and great outdoors area on the Star.

Here is link to thread Calling All Sun Lovers. Luckily the photos have not been removed. Sorry you'll have to copy and paste into your browser and then chose Page 1 instead of 2 when thread opens. I'm too tired to figure out why link isn't posting properly.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2382837&highlight=Sun

Think this is correct and well spotted. However does any one know when this ship is expected to be delivered or scheduled.

The other flip side that I had not even considered until just now though... We're booked in an ocean view category on Dawn and Epic has no such category... Epic is ALL balcony so I would assume NCL upgrades our reservation to a balcony room if we did get moved to Epic. Surely they wouldn't downgrade us from Ocean View to Inside.

We were booked on the Pearl leaving from Vancouver on Oct 1, 2018 since last January. NCL has just cancelled the entire cruise and the only thing they have offered us is a $50 per cabin onboard credit when we rebook something else. W had already booked non-refundable or changeable air fare and they won’t reimburse us for that either. So don’t expect much from them. And by the way, we are Platinum with the and we’re booked into a suite. I love sailing NCL. I’m not sure why they are treating everyone like this.

We were booked on the Pearl leaving from Vancouver on Oct 1, 2018 since last January. NCL has just cancelled the entire cruise and the only thing they have offered us is a $50 per cabin onboard credit when we rebook something else. W had already booked non-refundable or changeable air fare and they won’t reimburse us for that either. So don’t expect much from them. And by the way, we are Platinum with the and we’re booked into a suite. I love sailing NCL. I’m not sure why they are treating everyone like this.

You got travel insurance for the flights, right? I mean, you always get travel insurance.