Handicapp cruising

KARDBR

can anyone tell me which line has the best handicapp rooms for three travelers? One aged one in a scooter and one trying to hold it all together��

It's my personal opinion tht ayour question is too broad. Recommend that you provide additional information to narrow it down so people on this forum can better assist.

• Regardless of the cruise line there are very few accessible cabins that can accomodate 3 passengers. Additionally you need to check what is the third bed option.... a sofa bed or pullman ? From what you stated in your post a pullman option is not suitable. Each cruise line posts its ships deck plans on their website and the cabins are marked as to being HC as well as the passenger capacity.
  • How soon do you plan to cruise ? Accessible cabins are often booked 1-2 years prior to the cruise date. The cabins that can accomodate 3 passengers often get booked as soon as the cruise line publishes the cruise.
  • In theory the newer the ship the better the overall accessiblity.
  • Avoid itineraries that have tenders ports. Passengers with mobility scooters are alllowed to board the tender only if it has roll-on capabilities. Even if the tender has roll-on capabilites weather and or sea conditions may prohibit passengers with any mobility issues from boarding the tender. Boarding is at the full descretion of the Captain.
  • Though Carnival and Holland America have accessible cabins that can accomdate 3 people you need to be very carefull in your selection as both have multiple classifications of accessible cabins. Based on the information provided in your orignal post you need a fully accessible cabin should select Carnival or Holland America.
  • Perferred port of embarkation and disembarkation
  • The size of ship. For example RCCL's Oasis Class Ships and NCL's Epic are very large and depending on the other 2 passengers that will not be using a mobility scooters such ships may prove to be difficult in getting around. If that's the case you might need to consider mid-ships.
  • Have you ever cruise before ? If so what is your perferred cruise line.
  • What on board activities interest the group ?
  • What is the preferred demograhics of the ship ?

I booked an accessible junior suite on RC Grandeur of the Seas. For our group of three, the beds were separated and a folding bed was brought in for the third person. The folding bed was more comfortable than a pull out or pullman. We had ample room for the three of us and the scooter. I was not charged extra for the folding bed.

I booked an accessible junior suite on RC Grandeur of the Seas. For our group of three, the beds were separated and a folding bed was brought in for the third person. The folding bed was more comfortable than a pull out or pullman. We had ample room for the three of us and the scooter. I was not charged extra for the folding bed.

For future a RCCL Balcony Accessible Cabin is basically the same size as a RCCL Junior Suite Accessible cabins. RCCL Accessible Junior Suites do not receive any suite benefits other than double Crown & Anchor points. Therefore IMPO the RCCL Accessible Balcony Cabin is the more cost effective choice.

For future a RCCL Balcony Accessible Cabin is basically the same size as a RCCL Junior Suite Accessible cabins. RCCL Accessible Junior Suites do not receive any suite benefits other than double Crown & Anchor points. Therefore IMPO the RCCL Accessible Balcony Cabin is the more cost effective choice.

I can second that the HC balcony room are roomy and can accomadate 3 persons at least on the newest shipf

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

RCCL

HAL

Princess

These three cruise lines have a very limited number of cabins for 3 that are fully accessible. I used to travel with my parents as my mother's caregiver, and I have had a roll-away bed (HAL), a sofa bed (Princess and RCCL) and a bunk bed (Princess and RCCL). All are very similar as far as bathroom set-up and accessibility on the rest of the ship, but I think HAL did more in the way of nice touches like automatically carrying the tray for the wheelchair user in the Lido, and with better seating in the theater/showroom than the other two.

If you are looking for something more economical, some of the ocean view cabins and inside cabins are very comfortable. Both Ruth and I required scooters and in all cases, the third lady was not disabled, regardless she was also a senior.

NCL – Jewel class – Inside cabin 11147 – spacious and comfortable

Hal – Both Volendam and Rotterdam OV - Deck 6 – doable

Princess – Island Princess – Inside, lower deck – lot of closets and drawers

MCS – Poesia – doable

Royal Caribbean – Serenade OTS – Has cabins that sleep three however we stayed in 2023 and were told that we could request a roll-away if booked early enough. Ideal location; close to elevators, exit to go ashore and public HC restroom.

We have found that some of the older ships accessible cabins were more comfortable than the new ships. To my knowledge, these ships are not currently in the respective fleets. Celebrity Mercury and Century had OVs on the main deck that were very comfortable. Royal Caribbean Legend OTS also had Ovs that were very comfortable.

Have a wonderful trip,

Betty

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve had wheelchair accessible suites on HAL (Neptune Suite), Regent (cheapest balcony suite) and Celebrity (Sky Suite) when traveling with my 98-year old wheelchair/scooter dad and 89-year old rolling walker mom. Celebrity Eclipse Sky Suite is the best since its cabin door is automatic. Once the keycard is inserted it swings open. The actual Sky Suite cabin was the largest of the three, too, as was its balcony. Having Luminae, a butler and Michael’s Club is great, too. These three cabin types are obviously more expensive than some others being discussed in this thread. We always book at least 12 months in advance, if not 18, to get a wheelchair suite.

• 4 weeks later...

We had a HC assessable mini suite on the Emerald Princess. My sister wasn’t with us that trip but there was plenty of room for three. We have toured a HC balcony on the Celebrity Silhouette and it would be fine. We just sailed the Celebrity Constellation with three in a HC balcony. The room was small but we made it work as we are all neat people. The third person was on a pullout but she said it was comfortable. What I didn’t like is that the ramp to the balcony could not be left out as the pullout would have been uneven.

One of us is disabled and uses a wheelchair to get around.

We found that both NCL and RCI have some very spacious handicapped accessible inside cabins with plenty of room even for a power wheelchair. Also, most if not all public venues are wheelchair accessible.

The bathrooms are spacious as well and equipped with grab bars, elevated toilet seats etc. .