Nieuw Amsterdam Group Booking - HUGE - Eliminates fixed dining and cuts open seating

Liz54

It's clear that you feel you've captured the intellectual high ground, but it seems to me (another logical arguer) that you are also making some assumptions that I'm not sure can be proven (and I don't mean by using an 'ipso facto' argument).

All of us have ideas, perceptions, call them what you will, about how things really are. We read the news, we hear commentary, we are involved in interactions with the marketplace in different ways, we have more or less expertise in determining how things work. Tell me how one can claim to be so unbiased as to know 'how things really are'?

In my view, it's the intelligent person who recognizes they do not have all the answers, or all the information needed to know 'how things really are'.

My thoughts on the ongoing discussion:

Cruise lines need more than just large charter groups to survive and thrive in the market. There's a good deal of wisdom summed up in the saying "Don't put your eggs all in one basket." Or in modern parlance -- "Diversify!" Mass market cruise lines have many cabins to sell every week. Despite the loyalty voiced here, regular cruisers seem to be exquisitely sensitive to pricing issues as well as to the perceived benefits (or lack thereof) offered by one line versus another. I have seen many a negative thread on the mainstream cruise line forums regarding the presence of large groups. They are not liked and are definitely perceived to impact one's cruise experience. Why would someone dedicate a long-running and much-consulted thread to identifying these groups if not to help others better avoid them?

We've seen that HAL management can and will correct course when it becomes clear that there is significant passenger unhappiness with some policy or other. Recent example: balcony smoking. For quite a while HAL was willing to be the 'last line standing' to allow balcony smoking as a way of attracting smoking passengers from other lines. And it was working. But presumably due to negative feedback from impacted passengers, they recently changed that policy. Why? I'm sure HAL's contract allowed balcony smoking, and I'm sure HAL didn't hear from more than a certain percentage of passengers about this issue, and I'm sure that some were not impacted whatsoever (such as those in cabins without a balcony). So why the change?

If HAL starts to be perceived as "the cruise line most impacted by large groups/partial charters" (and I think one could make an argument that this could happen) then a certain percentage of cruisers will stop considering HAL or will at least weigh that in making their decision -- just as many did when HAL was known to still allow balcony smoking. A lot of travel agents who specialize in cruising read these boards carefully and pass on comments to their clients.

Perhaps HAL will find it becomes increasingly difficult to sell cabins on ships with large groups. Perhaps some of these erstwhile loyal HAL cruisers will venture off to try another line and will like it so much that they do not come back.

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Completely agree with you! Thank you for saying exactly what I'm thinking...and for saying it with respect and grace.

Looking at the "charter/group" thread here on CC it seems to me that HAL needs to book these groups/charters to fill their ships. I was really shocked when I saw the number of large group cruises listed there.

I hope they realize they also need passengers like us who are not part of those large groups.

They tricky part for HAL is to figure out how to keep everyone satisfied.

They tricky part for HAL is to figure out how to keep everyone satisfied.

Precisely... They need to figure out how to keep each of their market segments as satisfied as necessary to keep enough people in each market segment purchasing voyages.

I just watched a short YouTube video from Wendover about Airlines. This guy did the research and determined exactly how much the airlines make from economy from business class and from first class. In the end for international flights at least 80% of the revenue comes from business class and first class. Now that doesn't mean that they would want to try to fly without economy class but it also means that one may have to make some hard choices about prioritization and expenditure capital how much contribution to the success of the Enterprise each segment represents is going to be a major factor.

That's what we're seeing in here... Hard choices about priority and hard choices about disclosure.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Sail' date=' I have a feeling that you will have a wonderful cruise. Think positive thoughts as you plan and look forward to your upcoming voyage.[/quote']

Thank you Baers. :) I'm acutally not looking for a 'wonderful time. I am looking for comfortable, friendly smiling service, good food and some fun con versations. etc. Aglass or two of wine knowing I don't have to drive home. What I need and want now is so different than any time before in my life. I think I'm pretty usual in my current 'needs. I thank all who send me good wishes and return the sentiments. I like wine but will not drink alone in my home. If I am here alone, I won't t ake a glass of wine. I can picture myself in Ocean bar enjoying a glass.

THAT makes no sense. Five Star Mariners have paid for all those beneifits. When the first time cruiser buys enough days on the ships, they can have the Five Star Benefits. We all have the choice to buy that many days if we wish.

I do not see what point you are trying to make by that challenge Five Star Mariners inveSTED lots of time and money to get those benefits.......... what is your point ABOUT THE FIRST TIMER?

If you compare rates, members of the groups pay significantly higher fares than non-group passengers. These group members have paid for the privilege of attending the group entertainment. That's why they are seated as a group in the MDR. In effect, they have paid extra for this.