Piano Bar Schedule (updated)

mhurdle127

I have a serious Piano Bar question to those of you who seem to enjoy the entertainment there. In all of my HAL cruises, we have never actually been inside the Piano Bar. I've stood outside the door and listened for awhile, but never gone inside because there are never any open seats. How do you assure that if your favorite "piano man" is on your cruise that you actually get to "see" him or her?

That is a great question. Especially on the Vista Class ships where the smallish piano bar has very few good seats (there are other seats in the back where you cannot even see the piano). So what to do. When DW and I like the piano player we are there almost every night. We have met couples that will grab the best seats a half hour before the Piano player even starts....and they live in those seats for the entire night. As to us, we usually go to the late show in the main theater and then head directly to the piano bar. We usually find seats in the back....and will often find better seats a short time later (this is HAL where many will go to bed before 11). We would rather be in a crowded bar (with lots of regulars who always have fun) then in a half empty venue. Yes, we have gone to the Ocean Bar when they used to have the HAL Cats playing music from before I was born (and I am a senior) where there were only a few folks...and some of them were sleeping! Give me the overcrowded piano bar any day :). Its a shame that HAL is determined to get rid of that venue.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sir Stryker was on our cruise in the piano bar on Eurodam a few years back and he was excellent! Anyone know where or what he is doing? I will be on Maasdam in July any idea who will be at the keyboard for that one?

Don't know about the Maasdam but do know that Stryker is getting on the Veendam on July 8 ... and so are we :D

Don't know about the Maasdam but do know that Stryker is getting on the Veendam on July 8 ... and so are we :D

Have fun. He was great on the Rotterdam but weary, he was kept up late for the TA portion ;). Sang well past the appointed hour. :)

Have fun. He was great on the Rotterdam but weary, he was kept up late for the TA portion ;). Sang well past the appointed hour. :)

Stryker usually is listed in the daily program as playing from 9 to "close" ... and he decides when "close" is. We have been up in the Piano Bar with him close to 2 am on occasion :D

Stryker usually is listed in the daily program as playing from 9 to "close" ... and he decides when "close" is. We have been up in the Piano Bar with him close to 2 am on occasion :D

We would always be happy to be on a cruise with Stryker. By the way, some may not know that he cannot read a note of music! He just never bothered to learn. But if he hears something once or twice..he can play it.

Hank

He was doing that on more than one occasion on our TA :) I think he was glad when it got port intensive so he could get a rest by 12:30 pm LOL. He was also enjoyable to talk to when he wasn't performing. Very nice, talented man.

Anyone have any idea who is the Piano Bar player on the Noordam right now...or even if there is one....sailing on her in 2 weeks!!!

Last I heard from friends who were on 2 weeks ago, it was Jeremy Oren.

I wish he was on Maasdam on July 8th as we board her that day! We had a great time with him at the keyboard!!!! Enjoy his wonderful talent on Veendam!

Last I heard from friends who were on 2 weeks ago, it was Jeremy Oren.

We got off the Noordam yesterday and the Piano Bar entertainer is, indeed, Jeremy Oren.

You are in for some great evenings with Jeremy. I would say that he's the best piano bar entertainer I have ever seen on a cruise ship, if not the best entertainer PERIOD that I have seen on a cruise ship. Be prepared to get to the Piano Bar early if you want to sit down as his shows are quite popular. (Only his show on the first night was lightly attended--then the word got out!)

My favorite shows were "Beatles and Brits" and "Elton John and Billy Joel". But be sure to see his explanation of "American Pie" on the "Songwriters" night!

Can anyone up date me in if Zaandam still has her Piano Bar ?? Or is it up in the Crows Nest & does the Crows Nest even still exist?

Zaandam never had a Piano Bar. It came from the shipyard with a Piano Lounge, which was changed to The Mix a while back. That is what still remains, on Upper Promenade, at mid-ship.

Per Sir Stryker's FB page cruise schedule he is on the Veendam from July 8- Aug 19 and Noordam Oct. 20- Jan 20, 2017.

Great performer and it appears he's currently ashore and not on contract.

Always subject to change.

Zaandam never had a Piano Bar. It came from the shipyard with a Piano Lounge, which was changed to The Mix a while back. That is what still remains, on Upper Promenade, at mid-ship.

So no piano at all? Even in the Crows Nest?

So no piano at all? Even in the Crows Nest?

Yes their is a Piano entertainment area. It's no longer a venue upon itself but in an open area referred to as the Mix which includes champagne and beer on tap bars. Also the shops are in background.

Not the best venue but it works.

• 6 months later...
The pianoman on the NA recently was Mike (don't know his last name), and he was GREAT. He's an accomplished pianist with an amazing voice, and he really interacted with his fans. I was fascinated just watching his fingers flying across the keyboard. This was the first time we've been in a piano bar on a HAL ship, and we went every night. I can hardly wait for my next HAL cruise. :D

The piano man was Mike McCabe, and he does have an AMAZING voice and performing talent! We came early to the piano bar every night just to get a seat. I was very impressed that Mike plays his music mostly from memory and very rarely looked up a unique song a guest requested. I think his piano bar show was by far the most popular evening event. Every night the piano bar was packed with standing room only, so they actually moved him to the Crow's Nest to accommodate all of his fans.

On a side note - We sailed on the Koningsdam this summer, where they have the new Billboard. The ship is beautiful. For the true piano music lovers though, – it sadly just does not measure up. We miss the piano bar experience where you could just request Mike to play a song and there it is for instant enjoyment, even to sing along. Pianoman Mike McCabe you are the BEST!!

• 4 months later...
The piano man was Mike McCabe, and he does have an AMAZING voice and performing talent! We came early to the piano bar every night just to get a seat. I was very impressed that Mike plays his music mostly from memory and very rarely looked up a unique song a guest requested. I think his piano bar show was by far the most popular evening event. Every night the piano bar was packed with standing room only, so they actually moved him to the Crow's Nest to accommodate all of his fans.

On a side note - We sailed on the Koningsdam this summer, where they have the new Billboard. The ship is beautiful. For the true piano music lovers though, – it sadly just does not measure up. We miss the piano bar experience where you could just request Mike to play a song and there it is for instant enjoyment, even to sing along. Pianoman Mike McCabe you are the BEST!!

We enjoyed Mike on the piano from La to NZ last Oct.

Sent from my iPad using Forums