Non Refundable Deposit is now the default pricing

Andi Land

Actually, according to the PCC I talked to (who had a lot of high recommendations) and seems very knowledgeable, it does.

She said if I took the decreased price it was non refundable, no decreased fares, no upsells and no upgrades.

Apparently the terms of this sale. Now, whether that really happens is another thing, but that is what I was told.

I think you need to check that out. Last year I had a cruise where the deposit became non-refundable after getting a re-fare to a lower price. But I still got an upsell to a Neptune after that.

Unfortunately, however, on Grand Voyages there are interim payments. I don't know is HAL considers those also to be non-refundable. If so, I can't think but that reservations for those cruises have to be down.

We are thinking that now, folks will only book the cruises they intend to take! Just imagine how much easier it will be to choose a cabin...when most cabins are out of inventory because of folks who have booked with little intention of every taking the cruise. When we were on the Zuiderdam last summer, we ate with a couple who told us they had just come from the future cruise counselor's office where they had booked 5 future HAL cruises. They then explained that it was likely they would only take 1 or 2 of those cruises....but they liked to hold cabins just in case they later decided to take that cruise. Apparently what they did is not uncommon.

Hank

My recent cruise to Norway had a non refundable deposit and I did receive an upsell offer.

Exactly what I thought. There is no way HAL is going to turn down the possibility of making more money if the rooms are available close to sailing. Regardless of the type of deposit you originally made, your cruise is now fully paid for and HAL will extract extra money from you if they can.

As for complimentary upgrades, that is a no-brainer. They can sell twice the amount of let's say, SZ Signature Suites, as guarantees with non-refundable deposits so obviously someone will be upgraded to SY or SS.

Exactly what I thought. There is no way HAL is going to turn down the possibility of making more money if the rooms are available close to sailing. Regardless of the type of deposit you originally made, your cruise is now fully paid for and HAL will extract extra money from you if they can.

As for complimentary upgrades, that is a no-brainer. They can sell twice the amount of let's say, SZ Signature Suites, as guarantees with non-refundable deposits so obviously someone will be upgraded to SY or SS.

Makes sense; good to know.

We are thinking that now, folks will only book the cruises they intend to take! Just imagine how much easier it will be to choose a cabin...when most cabins are out of inventory because of folks who have booked with little intention of every taking the cruise. When we were on the Zuiderdam last summer, we ate with a couple who told us they had just come from the future cruise counselor's office where they had booked 5 future HAL cruises. They then explained that it was likely they would only take 1 or 2 of those cruises....but they liked to hold cabins just in case they later decided to take that cruise. Apparently what they did is not uncommon.

Hank

That is terrible! Very inconsiderate. Hope this practice stops. We are all restricted due to people like this.

Don't think the practice of booking cruises you do not intend to take is a reasonable approach. Very selfish. Limits others and can push the price of cruises up a little since pricing is based on demand. I can understand why the cruise lines want to rein this practice in. We are somewhat biased inasmuch as most of our cruises are booked inside the final payment window. We are much more accustomed to making a buy decision and accepting that there are no refunds. But....this is very clear to us, no misunderstanding or fine print.

We have been fortunate. We have only cancelled one cruise. And that was at the cruise line's request. A move over offer from Princess that we could not turn down.

Hank

When I consider how many cabins are on HAL's ships, I have to wonder if this practice of booking extra cruises is likely to influence cruise prices or cabin availability. Then, there is the fact that all these extra cabins will be released just prior to final payment. It really isn't any different that TA who book blocks of rooms prior to selling them to customers.

My recent cruise to Norway had a non refundable deposit and I did receive an upsell offer.

And thanks, LIzzie68 and taxmantoo, too.

I am happy to be wrong on this one ;)

That does make total sense.

Don't think the practice of booking cruises you do not intend to take is a reasonable approach. Very selfish. Limits others and can push the price of cruises up a little since pricing is based on demand. I can understand why the cruise lines want to rein this practice in. We are somewhat biased inasmuch as most of our cruises are booked inside the final payment window. We are much more accustomed to making a buy decision and accepting that there are no refunds. But....this is very clear to us, no misunderstanding or fine print.

We have been fortunate. We have only cancelled one cruise. And that was at the cruise line's request. A move over offer from Princess that we could not turn down.

I agree. I have run into a few who have cruises booked and at the same time . Totally wrong IMO.

Well, the PCC who told you that was wrong. I agree that if they can get more money out of me for an upsell, they won't hesitate to do so. I didn't take that one as it was just too pricey.

Not at all wrong. You repeated what you had been told and we all know those handling the phones at HAL, and even some PCCs, do not have all the answers nor do they really care to look them up.

Ultimately, we will have to wait and see how this new way of doing things will develop. Time will tell.

Not at all wrong. You repeated what you had been told and we all know those handling the phones at HAL, and even some PCCs, do not have all the answers nor do they really care to look them up.

Ultimately, we will have to wait and see how this new way of doing things will develop. Time will tell.

In fairness to the person I talked to, I did call as soon as I saw the price drop. The non refundable wasn't on the website and I was told immediately it was non refundable. All the "rules" may not have been out at the time I called perhaps?

In any case, I didn't take the non refundable (which they actually agreed with). There is too much time to go before we sail and I am waiting to see what happens price wise when the early booking promo drops off ;)

I think you need to check that out. Last year I had a cruise where the deposit became non-refundable after getting a re-fare to a lower price. But I still got an upsell to a Neptune after that.

Same as Lizzie68-we also had a non refundable but got an upsell offer to a Neptune. I didn't take it because I was sailing in the Caribbean with my daughter only and she's experienced the Neptune suites before. Wasn't worth it that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone know precisely when this new policy of default nonrefundable deposits started? I booked something earlier this month, and after reading this post, called the big online TA I booked with. And sure enough, I was told nonrefundable deposit. There was no indication whatsoever on their website when I booked or on my confirmation that the deposit was nonrefundable. Not a good way to conduct business. If HAL wants to have this policy, I'm fine with it. I can then make an informed decision to book or not book. But don't hide it and not disclose it to the consumer during the booking process. I'm not sure how this will all play out for this reservation. I am waiting for a supervisor to call me back.

Does anyone know precisely when this new policy of default nonrefundable deposits started? I booked something earlier this month, and after reading this post, called the big online TA I booked with. And sure enough, I was told nonrefundable deposit. There was no indication whatsoever on their website when I booked or on my confirmation that the deposit was nonrefundable. Not a good way to conduct business. If HAL wants to have this policy, I'm fine with it. I can then make an informed decision to book or not book. But don't hide it and not disclose it to the consumer during the booking process. I'm not sure how this will all play out for this reservation. I am waiting for a supervisor to call me back.

I believe it came out on July 10th. That's when I called and did my flights at the same time. My e confirmation is that date.

I do not blame you for your reaction to your TA informing you that your deposit was nonrefundable. I hope that you let your travel company know of your concern.

So, I was checking the price of my 2018 cruise now that the Ready Set Sail promo is over. I noticed that the price has gone down. In small print under the pricing it shows that the reflected fares are for non refundable deposits. I did a quick search of the site and it appears to be the default now. I called HAL and they confirmed this. If you want a price that is fully refundable you must call them for pricing. 😳

Good to know. I'm certainly going to look into this before I book. Also, does anyone know how to find out if the cruise you're booking is a "theme" cruise. Thanks for any info. ;)

Our TA told us that very few people are booking the non refundable cruises & she does not recommend them. When we booked our next cruise she gave us an option of refundable & a non refundable, guess which one we booked?

Allan

I found out 2 days ago that HAL's non-refundable doesn't always mean non-refundable. We had a cruise booked for early this November, but my husband has to go through a lot of tests for a minor health condition, and it's going to drag out until October. Then, they will probably want to follow-up a few times. Sailing in November didn't look too good.

I called Costco and had them ask HAL about using our non-refundable $600 deposit for a future booking. They said to write an email and attach verifying documentation, which I did.

HAL came back within an hour with an offer to re-use the deposit for a future cruise with the same price or higher, same cancellation restrictions and policies, or get a $300 future cruise credit, or an upgrade on a future cruise.

I found our same cruise next March, same price, 1 day shorter, and booked it with the "non-refundable" deposit.

I'm very impressed with their customer service.

I found out 2 days ago that HAL's non-refundable doesn't always mean non-refundable. We had a cruise booked for early this November, but my husband has to go through a lot of tests for a minor health condition, and it's going to drag out until October. Then, they will probably want to follow-up a few times. Sailing in November didn't look too good.

I called Costco and had them ask HAL about using our non-refundable $600 deposit for a future booking. They said to write an email and attach verifying documentation, which I did.

HAL came back within an hour with an offer to re-use the deposit for a future cruise with the same price or higher, same cancellation restrictions and policies, or get a $300 future cruise credit, or an upgrade on a future cruise.

I found our same cruise next March, same price, 1 day shorter, and booked it with the "non-refundable" deposit.

HAL's, Costco's, or both?

And if you read the legal terms and conditions of the non-refundable deposit sale, that is exactly what they have agreed to do.

And if you read the legal terms and conditions of the non-refundable deposit sale, that is exactly what they have agreed to do.

I haven't. I was also under the impression that the deposit could not be used for a future cruise. Therefore, I was happy not only with how quickly they got back to me, but also their options.