Does the Koningsdam truly have NO LIBRARY?!

chees

Cruiser Bill kindly posted this link of 107 more photographs of the Kdam from an article in USA Today's web site:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/05/04/holland-america-koningsdam-cruise/83913010/

And on one of the slides it says:

Although the Koningsdam does not have a dedicated library, reference books and games are available for guests' use in the Explorations Cafe.

I've read the threads about the narrower Promenade with no loungers and complaints about other changes, but THIS hits me where it hurts. HAL has the BEST libraries on the seas and I'm so sad it appears they will not be on this larger ship. My best day at sea is with a good PAPER (non-electronic) book on a shady lounge chair overlooking the sea. Sad...

Tina

I think this would be a deal breaker if it truly does not have a library. We also enjoy reading on those sea days, out on a deck chair. How sad.

Allan

In the Atlas that I have, a library and Internet café are listed as one of the features for the Koningsdam.

I would assume that it is part of the Explorations Café on the starboard side of the Crow's Nest on the Observation Deck -- just like on all the Signature ships and all but one of the Vista class ships (Noordam's is on the Promenade Deck).

I think this would be a deal breaker if it truly does not have a library. We also enjoy reading on those sea days, out on a deck chair. How sad.

Allan

I would say that's true of ALL HAL ships. On the Prinsendam the Cafe counter is on the inside of the room near the aisle leading to the Wajang theater but Explorations Cafe is still part of the library. On all the R&S ships I remember it's at the corner leading to the dining room. The combined room is still a fully functioning library better than any other ship I've sailed other than Cunard.

Roy

There is no library like the ones on other HAL ships ... There is a very small area with some travel books and games that is all ... It's an alcove off the cafe and crows nest. By the end of our cruise passengers had started leaving their used books there for others which was a godsend to those of us expecting literature to be available as usual.

Allan

Not meaning to be snarky, but why can't you just bring your own book?

Probably due to the same reason why we don't bring our own pizza to Italy!

It is a large part of the over all experience for many people. :)

With the vast number of people using e-readers and audio books these days, a small library will probably suffice. With the availability of just about any e-book through my library, I haven't read a printed book in several years. I'm sure that this is a trend that hasn't gone unnoticed by HAL.

Book(s) - they are heavy and take up luggage allowances. Though we see more and more Kindle or ebook readers on board now. And I love my books on tape on my IPod. Also nicely portable.

But still I LOVE HAL LIBRARIES - THE FULL DEDICATED LIBRARIES, NOT THE SQUISHED INTO THE CORNER OF THE CROWS NEST LIBRARIES.

Did you hear me HAL?

Book(s) - they are heavy and take up luggage allowances. Though we see more and more Kindle or ebook readers on board now. And I love my books on tape on my IPod. Also nicely portable.

But still I LOVE HAL LIBRARIES - THE FULL DEDICATED LIBRARIES, NOT THE SQUISHED INTO THE CORNER OF THE CROWS NEST LIBRARIES.

Did you hear me HAL?

Post #7 says that there is going to be a library.

A kindle weighs next to nothing. I haven't held a book in years and don't miss it at all. Times change.

I understand both sides of this. We read a lot but it's all on iPads for us. But at the same time the library's are nice quite spots with nice chairs to relax for many. In fact I usually see more sleeping then reading going on there.

A good library, with an interesting selection of books, is essential for my cruise enjoyment. A library is food for the soul!

Where else can you read those big heavy travel books, atlases and maps of where you are currently cruising and where you can dream about cruising next?

A kindle weighs next to nothing. I haven't held a book in years and don't miss it at all. Times change.

For some of us, part of the joy of reading is holding a real book, turning real pages. Seeing the actual book on a table, or in my hands. There's more to it than just reading the words, there is the sense of touch, too. To me, a real book engages my senses more than pixels can.

That's just my opinion, though I know other people who feel the same.

DH and I are happy to make room in our suitcases to take along a couple of books.

Where else can you read those big heavy travel books, atlases and maps of where you are currently cruising and where you can dream about cruising next?

Oh yes about the atlases and maps. DH and I enjoy those many times on a cruise! :)

Whether or not there will be a small or regular-sized (for HAL) library, I think the Koningsdam and its future sister ships are being built for shorter, more port -intensive cruises. Considering that, I think a library will be of less importance to many pax.

On a long cruise a real library is a huge boon to many pax. Although I love HAL libraries on the S, R, Vista and Signature classes, I can see them as a total waste of space in HAL's accountants' eyes. That is likely the deciding factor in what HAL ultimately does with their one-of-a-kind libraries.

Edited by SilvertoGold

For some of us, part of the joy of reading is holding a real book, turning real pages. Seeing the actual book on a table, or in my hands. There's more to it than just reading the words, there is the sense of touch, too. To me, a real book engages my senses more than pixels can.

That's just my opinion, though I know other people who feel the same.

DH and I are happy to make room in our suitcases to take along a couple of books.

I downloaded two books to my IPad for our 33 day cruise. And, what did I do as soon as I got on board? Hit the library to see if anything appealed. And I found two great books :)

Those are what I read. I agree with you, there is something engaging about reading a real book.

Whether or not there will be a small or regular-sized (for HAL) library, I think the Koningsdam and its future sister ships are being built for shorter, more port -intensive cruises. Considering that, I think a library will be of less importance to many pax.

On a long cruise a real library is a huge boon to many pax. Although I love HAL libraries on the S, R, Vista and Signature classes, I can see them as a total waste of space in HAL's accountants' eyes. That is likely the deciding factor in what HAL ultimately does with their one-of-a-kind libraries.

Bolding is mine. Totally agree Silver. :). Long may the libraries live on the longer cruises.

I wouldn't recommend using a kindle or an iPad on our last cruise if you like to read outside. The high humidity (and rain) can cause a lot of damage quickly to your device.

While my veranda was protected (and other spots), DH kept warning me about moisture damaging the plug in and circuitry suit was my real book for me :)

Reading through this thread, it sounds like the Koningsdam *is* going to have a library. It's on the deck plans. People who have been on the ship have reported that the books aren't there/all there yet, but the books are coming.

Yet we still have our panties in a bunch or our knickers in a twist? How many pairs of underwear do you people have? I can't be tying mine in knots because a new ship is missing books at launch. My dresser drawers aren't big enough.

Reading through this thread, it sounds like the Koningsdam *is* going to have a library. It's on the deck plans. People who have been on the ship have reported that the books aren't there/all there yet, but the books are coming.

Yet we still have our panties in a bunch or our knickers in a twist? How many pairs of underwear do you people have? I can't be tying mine in knots because a new ship is missing books at launch. My dresser drawers aren't big enough.

That is also the impression that I have from some posts on this thread. I'll be the first one to admit that I haven't studied the deck plans. I'm not terribly interested in the itineraries of this ship right now but I won't have any issues adapting to the ship I'm sailing on. Your post did make me laugh.

I agree with you POA1. Some folks on CC grab onto one comment and it suddenly comes WWIII (well, not quite). I think we need more than one experience to get up in arms with HAL about something that may or may not be true.

On a lighter side and "undies in a bundle". I picked-up a neighbor to drive him to work one day. Frequently after work he would to out with the "guys" to a local bar, staying out way too late for his ever suffering wife. (We considered her an angel.) One morning I picked him up for a ride to work and he was in a real grumpy mood. It seems the evening before his wife had had it with his carousing. She had tied his all underwear together, got the bundles soaking wet and put them in the freezer.

Funny comments you guys. Back to the library. I love a library and so do many others. These days, when I travel, it's always with a nook loaded with books. Around home, library books. Personally, I think I've always loved the little libraries on HAL and others do to.

Our local library only allows ebooks to be checked out for 2 weeks so when we are doing our 66 day on the Maasdam this fall it won't work. Plus, my DW really enjoys holding that book in her hand. Amazon had the Kindle for $20 off the normal price this week but DW does not want one.