Live from Koningsdam, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer, Nov 23-Dec 4

sppunk

Greetings, friends! I'm in the middle of packing (otherwise known as making room in my suitcase for all my wife's extra stuff) so figured I'd get this live thread started a few days early. It snowed last night and today it's around 40 degrees with 40-50 mph winds, so the tranquil waters of the Caribbean sound pretty nice right now.

My DW and I are set to fly Tuesday morning to FLL for Koningsdam's 11 day Southern Caribbean Wayfarer cruise. We booked this voyage a year and a half ago solely to sail on Koningsdam, we truly couldn't care less about the destinations. I do care greatly about the Wang Wangs though. More on that later.

Our itinerary:

IMG_0900.jpg

We are staying overnight Tuesday at Riverside Hotel in Fort Lauderdale on beautiful Las Olas Blvd and plan on having dinner with DW's sister and her husband once there.

We have two private tours booked in Barbados and St Kitts, and very well may not get off the ship anywhere else unless we seek wifi. This live thread will be more about the Koningsdam and my observations than destinations. I look for humor in everything, I tend not to complain about too much and enjoy laughs more than seriousness.

I had my identity stolen last week, someone opened a slew of credit cards and bank accounts in my name, and my wife had to deal with a union strike recently (she is a high up in the union office, so her life has been in upheaval). Needless to say, we need this cruise.

I hope to bring you our experience on HAL's newest ship, which I'm incredibly excited to sail. I'll update as reliably as possible, knowing HAL's internet infrastructure is akin to the Flintstone's.

I'm most looking forward to finding my bar of choice and indulging in many Wang Wangs. Reports might be impacting by how many I drink, fair warning, And eating at Tamarind. And seeing old friends in the crew. And sleeping late.

I hope this live thread will be as good for me as it will be for you.

More later.

Subscribed. Since we'll both be at sea I probably won't post but am very interested in this voyage, especially about the internet conditions but also about anything else.

I know many will be watching your departure (hoping you get away in daylight); have a wonderful voyage.

Roy

Day 0 minus 1: Pre-trippin'

Nothing like the final day before you leave to learn

a) your microwave broke

b) your oven quit heating

c) the wind (gusting above 50 mph the last two days, sustained at 25-40 mph) took your trash can away to never be seen again.

As I said earlier, this month has been brutal to us and we are so ready to leave.

Our bags are packed, boarding passes printed, we are starting to check off the to-do lists before we leave. Always an exciting time!

Our flight is at 11 a.m. tomorrow so we'll have a fairly early morning so we don't get stuck in Washington Beltway traffic.

I'll update tomorrow evening from (much, much warmer) Fort Lauderdale.

If anyone wants any specific Koningsdam info, let me know and I'll try my best to find out. I'll be taking pictures of all new dining venues/their menus too for HalFacts. I will post them here during the trip if I can but may wait until home if internet is slow as molasses.

Talk to you guys tomorrow evening.

Edited by sppunk

For Kazu, I will wave from deck 10 where the roof of the inside pool is and holding a pooltowel if i can find one,

I hope there is room to stand otherwise I stand on deck 9 aft of the ship (outside pool).

Leaving for the airport in half hour.

Byeeeeeeee

Sppunk see you at the meet and greet

Linda and Dirk from Belgium

For Kazu, I will wave from deck 10 where the roof of the inside pool is and holding a pooltowel if i can find one,

I hope there is room to stand otherwise I stand on deck 9 aft of the ship (outside pool).

Leaving for the airport in half hour.

Byeeeeeeee

Sppunk see you at the meet and greet

Linda and Dirk from Belgium

Safe travels!