Changes to Crow's Nest, starting with the Westerdam (two threads merged.See post #29)

Boytjie

Thanks for posting this. The images you provided more clarity to what had been posted earlier.

Altering the Captain's Corner in the Crow's Nest to Theater EXC will be an affront to some of HAL's President Club Members. For one whom I know, this area is his "residence" during much his daylight hours on HAL cruises. He will not be pleased.

Like RuthC, I am not impressed.

The concept of providing more detailed itinerary information for a particular cruise is a very valid one. But, the planned execution of this concept on HAL ships is flawed.

I saw this posted on Facebook: Holland America is Changing the Crow’s Nest.

There are a few different images compared to what was posted here a while go.

It looks like a 1960's basement rec- room,,,,,,,,,,

IMO what a waste of funds. I wonder how mqanay moree xcrew cxould be hired fo all the ships by the time they make this change to the whole fleet?

It looks like the area will no longer be a quiet place to look out to sea and watch the scenery and relax. Say it isn't so! It was such a perfect spot for sailaways in bad weather, to watch an approach into a port, read a good book in a comfy chair, and enjoy it all while having cocktails before dinner. Looks like seating will really be reduced a lot.

Edited by pv girl
add

It looks like the area will no longer be a quiet place to look out to sea and watch the scenery and relax. Say it isn't so! It was such a perfect spot for sailaways in bad weather, to watch an approach into a port, read a good book in a comfy chair, and enjoy it all while having cocktails before dinner. Looks like seating will really be reduced a lot.

I couldn't have said it better. :(

Change enough of the basics that make HAL gracious and we'll be sashaying away (n)

I wish I could see a floor plan as to where all this stuff is. I don't think it would matter to me as long as they are not blocking windows and places to sit by them. Without a floor plan I can't tell.

For example, the Theater EXC looks like where the old Oakroom was at one time. I don't see a change in the windows there, so that is a wash for me.

It looks like a 1960's basement rec- room,,,,,,,,,,

IMO what a waste of funds. I wonder how mqanay moree xcrew cxould be hired fo all the ships by the time they make this change to the whole fleet?

(bold is mine) You've got me laughing with this comment. So true. Except for the giant interactive tabletops, that's exactly what the Hub looks like! Wonder how many drinks/cups of coffee will be spilled on one of those things?

Anyone notice that the "library" appears to be three bookshelves? (Mostly empty, but let's hope that's due to the artist's rendering and not actual plans)

And for those who fear they won't be able to sit and look out at the sea, don't worry--who needs windows, there will be big-screen TVs to show you that! ;p Ashford's area of expertise is tech, and he's certainly tarting up the ship with as many big-screens as he can find places for. I can see the day-of-the-week carpets disappearing to be replaced by a digital display in the elevator that says "Today is Friday"

The one thing I like is the "virtual bridge." On Zuiderdam last month, the big screen displays in the public areas were seldom working. I'd like to see better info on navigation and local conditions (weather in real time?), not only on the public TVs, but in the cabin, too.

Change for the sake of change is rarely a good thing. What about HAL passengers that just like to sit and watch the ocean go by and want to escape all the technology in their lives? I

That's why we get a balcony. After our one and only Princess cruise where we could not find any quiet places to sit except our teeny-tiny balcony, I swore I would always make sure I had my own little bit of fresh air and a view. For passengers who book insides and depend on places like Crows Nest to have some space and a view, this may become more difficult as the ships look inward rather than outward.

I desperately want to post the scene from Animal House where John Belushi's character Bluto screams about how, "They took the bar!" but the clip loses a lot when you clean up the language.

The movie is almost 40 years old, and if you are easily offended, do not search YouTube for "They took the bar Animal House."

If someone can tell me how to post pictures , I will post the new look as I'm on the second cruise after dry dock.

If you want to post full size pictures, put them on something like shutterfly, or some other similar site .. It is very easy to transport pictures to Cruise Critic from there.

I hope you will focus on window space and the seating near it to get an idea if the improvements are blocking them.

(bold is mine) You've got me laughing with this comment. So true. Except for the giant interactive tabletops, that's exactly what the Hub looks like! Wonder how many drinks/cups of coffee will be spilled on one of those things?

Anyone notice that the "library" appears to be three bookshelves? (Mostly empty, but let's hope that's due to the artist's rendering and not actual plans)

And for those who fear they won't be able to sit and look out at the sea, don't worry--who needs windows, there will be big-screen TVs to show you that! ;p Ashford's area of expertise is tech, and he's certainly tarting up the ship with as many big-screens as he can find places for. I can see the day-of-the-week carpets disappearing to be replaced by a digital display in the elevator that says "Today is Friday"

The one thing I like is the "virtual bridge." On Zuiderdam last month, the big screen displays in the public areas were seldom working. I'd like to see better info on navigation and local conditions (weather in real time?), not only on the public TVs, but in the cabin, too.

I'm so happy I provided a b it of a giggle. We can used a good laugh around here. :)

I really think the bar will still be there. The bar is a money maker at the end of the day. Also the Crow's Nest bar is the base for beverage service for all the Retreat Cabanas.

Also I love that movie. AA had it loaded on the seat back screen on the JFK-SFO flight last month.

I desperately want to post the scene from Animal House where John Belushi's character Bluto screams about how, "They took the bar!" but the clip loses a lot when you clean up the language.

The movie is almost 40 years old, and if you are easily offended, do not search YouTube for "They took the bar Animal House."

After several cruises with RCCL since our last HAL experience one of the BIG things I've missed is the Crows Nest. I think the position - forwards overlooking the bow - is a fairly unique cruise ship feature. Most like RCCL have their uppermost lounge at midships so the forward view is really lacking. ON Veendam we spent a lot of time in the Crows Nest admiring the view all around. Even when not sitting right at a window the view was great. Now it looks like with the "middle" of the space filled up the all around view will be blocked.