Cruise ship passenger fined for having cannabis

Charles4515

Passenger aboard Anthem of the Seas. Her cabin was searched. Be aware that decriminalization laws in US don't apply onboard or in Bermuda! The cruise lines ban Marijuana and local laws apply in other countries. She was lucky to get a low fine. Some have been fined $2000.

http://www.royalgazette.com/court/article/20170601/american-visitor-fined-for-having-cannabis

Just off the Dawn today. A couple of guys were arrested for marijuana in their cabin found by Bermuda authorities when they come onboard.

Why would Bermuda authorities search a cabin. There has to be more to it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Cabin is in their Country.

Bermuda has brought dogs onto the ships for years to find contraband .

True I guess I just never saw or heard of this happening and I have been on 20 cruises and once before to Burmuda unless there was a specific reason for authorities to board ship.

Don't worry I am not planning on smuggling anything anyway but I find it interesting. Do they actually go in each cabin with the dogs?

True I guess I just never saw or heard of this happening and I have been on 20 cruises and once before to Burmuda unless there was a specific reason for authorities to board ship.

Don't worry I am not planning on smuggling anything anyway but I find it interesting. Do they actually go in each cabin with the dogs?

Sometimes they get a tip. Don't know if they go thru every cabin, a random sample, have a profile, or they get tips from crew but they have brought the sniffer dogs onboard the cruise ships docked in Bermuda for many years. And if the dog sniffs drugs in the cabin safe it will be opened and searched. A bunch of passengers have been fined. Some suggest that revenue collection is a major reason for the searches since the fine can be paid in to a magistrate and the passenger will avoid jail.

So just for the sole purpose of generating funds they regularly come onto the boats to do random searches of cabins.

I see so many things wrong with this its not even funny.....let alone that you think the cruise lines would stand up to Bermuda and say we don't want our customers hassled while at your docks and our dollars we pay every week say so to.

And before everyone says I must be a stoner that is something I have not done in 25 years. I just have a big problem with my cabin being searched because I drew the unlucky straw.

So just for the sole purpose of generating funds they regularly come onto the boats to do random searches of cabins.

I see so many things wrong with this its not even funny.....let alone that you think the cruise lines would stand up to Bermuda and say we don't want our customers hassled while at your docks and our dollars we pay every week say so to.

And before everyone says I must be a stoner that is something I have not done in 25 years. I just have a big problem with my cabin being searched because I drew the unlucky straw.

Bermuda is playing Second fiddle.

USA dogs get the first chance to bag doper's. :evilsmile:

Someone who buys drugs on the street in Jamaica should not be surpriseed when police show an interestt in them.I sincerely doubt the cabin (s) that are searched for drugs are chosen at random. I think it mor e likely, someone reported smelling something suspicious, heard something hat t tipped them off that made a partiicular 'guest' stand out as someone to check. JMO

They can be getting tips from the folks who sold it to them. Can be undercover cops, who knows!

Probably crew or ships security is tipping off the Bermuda police. That is what the article I linked to said. I don't know for sure but I doubt they are doing random cabin searches or searching every cabin. As far as undercover cops, someone on another thread here asked about the nightclub at the Snorkel Park. I went once to check that nightclub out and there were drugs being sold. Not my kind of scene, somewhat scary so I left. That was a number of years ago so my report on that should be considered dated. It might now be a wholesome place.

Probably crew or ships security is tipping off the Bermuda police. That is what the article I linked to said. I don't know for sure but I doubt they are doing random cabin searches or searching every cabin. As far as undercover cops, someone on another thread here asked about the nightclub at the Snorkel Park. I went once to check that nightclub out and there were drugs being sold. Not my kind of scene, somewhat scary so I left. That was a number of years ago so my report on that should be considered dated. It might now be a wholesome place.

i'm glad i read this...i was just looking into this nightclub as something to do off the boat the night we are in town, but if it's a sketchy scene you can count me out especially in a foreign place...it's one thing to be in NYC or Miami, but I've watched locked up abroad and brokedown palace :')

i'm glad i read this...i was just looking into this nightclub as something to do off the boat the night we are in town, but if it's a sketchy scene you can count me out especially in a foreign place...it's one thing to be in NYC or Miami, but I've watched locked up abroad and brokedown palace :')

Keep in mind that this was a while ago. It might not be sketchy now. It might be a wonderful place. I have not read anything recently about it good or bad.

in jamaica the dealers sell you weed then wait at the ship with the police to point you out so you have to pay a fine to get back on the ship. what a racquet. they are such corrupt beggars we do not even get off the ship there.

I had long suspected this happened to me once. I turned down a really pushy dude (and everyone else who offered it to me) because even 19 year old me was smart enough to not do stuff like that in a foreign country. When we returned from our excursion to get back on the ship, the police patted me down in a very invasive manner. I had a few red stripes that day and got pretty mouthy when the Jamaica pigs started grabbing for my "package" and caused enough of a scene that they let me go. I was really embarassed and saw the first guy who tried to sell it to me near the swine tent. They had to have had some type of racket going on. I hope they all are living a miserable life.

Royal Gazette article: Cruise passengers fined for drug importation - http://www.royalgazette.com/court/article/20170614/cruise-passengers-fined-for-drug-importation

SBtS

These latest two cases confirm that cruise line employees are calling in or informing the Bermuda police. The passengers are not being set up or entrapped, and neither are the Bermuda police boarding on their own initiative to search for the drugs.

These latest two cases confirm that cruise line employees are calling in or informing the Bermuda police. The passengers are not being set up or entrapped, and neither are the Bermuda police boarding on their own initiative to search for the drugs.

The fact that in these two cases the authorities were notified by the cruise line doesn't mean that in some other cases the police didn't come aboard without having received specific information from the cruise lines.

You may not be a stoner, but why do you think Bermuda would not have a right to enforce their laws? And why shouldn't the cruise lines respect the laws of a country who's attractions provide passengers the incentive to cruise?

Sounds like the attitude of someone more sensitive to his "rights" than to his obligations.

You may not be a stoner, but why do you think Bermuda would not have a right to enforce their laws? And why shouldn't the cruise lines respect the laws of a country who's attractions provide passengers the incentive to cruise?

Sounds like the attitude of someone more sensitive to his "rights" than to his obligations.

Who said anything about Bermuda not having the right to in force there laws. If you have proof that someone is doing something wrong deal with the problem.

But doing random room searches is different in my mind. If I didn't do anything wrong I don't want to be bothered or harassed. And to top it off I keep a lot of valuables and cash in my safe and do not want it opened if I am not in the room.

Oh and by the way. Was it necessary to put your little 2 cents dig at the end of your statement. Real class

The fact that in these two cases the authorities were notified by the cruise line doesn't mean that in some other cases the police didn't come aboard without having received specific information from the cruise lines.

So far all the recent articles indicate that the police did have specific information. A new article, another case reported today. Scent of cannabis from the cabin. Seems to be a trend of receiving info from the cruise lines.

http://www.royalgazette.com/court/article/20170615/cruise-ship-visitor-fined-for-cannabis

But doing random room searches is different in my mind. If I didn't do anything wrong I don't want to be bothered or harassed. And to top it off I keep a lot of valuables and cash in my safe and do not want it opened if I am not in the room.

All the recent news reports, the four room searches were not random. Of course that does not prove that random searches don't take place, but if they were doing random room searches I think there would be a lot more arrests being made when there are 4000 to 6000 passengers in port.