Specialty restaurants

bremonk

Somehow this thread has gone fowl...and that's no canard (he wrote, ducking...)

Anyway, if you give the MDR a couple of days, they can prepare a duck breast or half-duck with port wine reduction or other favorite sauce. We've had them prepare one of our favorites, crispy sweetbreads.

Thank you.... never thought of that. I know on Regent you could ask for almost anything off menu with 24 hours notice.

However with so many good choices already in Main Dining Room and Terrace I never gave it a thought. Tosca and Polo are good a few times as is Red Ginger....Jacques is however the exception when present.

In fairness, we have always had Penthouse Suites on Oceania O ships, and are repeat customers. Don’t know whether special orders will be honored in categories below that or on R ships; I would hope so.

Jacques and Red Ginger are our favorites, though we like Polo too.

Somehow this thread has gone fowl...and that's no canard (he wrote, ducking...)

Anyway, if you give the MDR a couple of days, they can prepare a duck breast or half-duck with port wine reduction or other favorite sauce. We've had them prepare one of our favorites, crispy sweetbreads.

This thread is just quacking me up :).

Great idea to ask them to make something special for you (on HAL recently our assistant maitre'd offered to make us cold fruit soups that had been removed from the dinner menus), but if they don't serve sweetbreads or duck breast on the normal menu, would they even be able to do a special order? With the latter I guess they could cut it from a half duck but I wonder if they would.

Edited by MisterBill99

NO...... Have only seen good duck in France Tour De Argent the standard prep., , In California at Spencer in Palm Springs Epicure in Santa Monica, French Laundry, Yountville, Its a very western European dish eastern is all about roast, braised and stewed. Americans are into roast or braised

Having a good wine reduction with duck compliments the meat, Port, Merlot and with a berry infusion. Its not sweet but almost like a rich herbal emulation.

Smoked duck sausage is worth trying

The special Sel Del Mar night in the Pinnacle on Holland America featured a French duck "stew" that my wife loved and she normally isn't a fan of duck, no heavy sauces. Very tasty.

The special Sel Del Mar night in the Pinnacle on Holland America featured a French duck "stew" that my wife loved and she normally isn't a fan of duck, no heavy sauces. Very tasty.

Its a variation of coq au vin. which is for chicken. The demi-glace is not a heavy sauce , more like a herbal wine glaze Most important than who what or where is the tastes of the person eating. That trumps any other opinion. If you like it you like it. The french are big into Pigeon too... its like a Cornish hen or squab or an over grown Quail.. Which is another taste delight I wont go into. but However VERY popular in France.

As far as special requests , and this will sound funny, but if you connect with the grill crew in Terrace and wait till like 8 pm just before staff comes to dine ( after the evening rush) They will work with you to create some very creative things. Truth is they get bored cranking the same orders and its fun for them to play.

Edited by Hawaiidan