Opinions on ship &travel date & itinerary needed

cruiseintoheaven

Hello everyone,

A few years back I found the folks on these boards very helpful as I was planning our first European cruise aboard the Riviera. Alas, a whole lot of life got in the way and our plans never set sail.

So I'm back again and have spent an incredible amount of time researching and reading about different lines and itineraries. Our time frame for this trip is Sept-Oct. of 2019. Though my husband has a generous amount of vacation time, he also has a high degree of responsibility at work and is not comfortable being gone for more than two weeks (give or take) including travel time for any one vacation. This definitely makes planning a bit tricky.

Probably at the top of my list is the Marina's "Majestic Vistas Cruise" on October 28-Nov. 4. Itinerary: Venice, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Valetta, Sicily/Messina, Naples, Rome.

What I like about this cruise is that the dates fall Monday to Monday. We could fly out the previous Friday and at least have a few days in Venice, and enjoy what I hear is a beautiful sail away. We also would have a few days post cruise to spend in Rome before flying home and decompressing. I like the hours in port and that it appears the ship docks in all ports. I've consistently heard overall good reviews for the "O" ships, and the Country Club Casual style is more to our liking. We have done our share of "formal nights" over the years and.....yeah.

What concerns me is the time of year in terms of weather, and also whether or not certain ports or sites are starting to "shutter" for the winter months. I have done enough web research to know average temperatures and for every review I read that says the weather was fine during that time, I can find another to say it was drizzly, overcast, chilly, etc. Honestly, a brisk sunny day where I can wear jeans and a sweater is perfect to me - we are from upstate NY so part polar bear:-)….not so crazy about constant drizzle and lack of sun.

So, turning here to ask for opinions....knowing full well that no one can predict the weather. Would I be better off just settling on another line and or itinerary? One noticeable change from a few years ago that I'm picking up on these boards is a pretty universal downgrading of the "R" ships so I haven't really looked at them, at least yet.

I'm somewhat eclectic in that my list of potential cruises ranges from the above to the YC on MSC Seaview, NCL and possibly Azamara or RCI. I'm also drawn to Viking OC, but they really don't have much in the time frame we are looking at. But, as I said, this cruise is my first choice.

Thanks for any all help!

Edited by cruiseintoheaven

Could be very pleasant, although the Venice bit would probably be cool /possibly wet. The other ports are more southern and the weather maybe more reliable and warmer. Whether the tourist "facilities" would be shutting down I am not so sure. Venice never shuts down!!!! All these ports will certainly be less crowded than in the Season.

Marina/Riviera will not disappoint however.

Only you can decide.

We were on the Marina last year for the same dates Athens to Rome, hitting many of those exact ports.

1. Weather was very nice, although no guarantees. Days in the 60s and low 70s.

2. Only towns shuttered was On the Amalfi coast. Everywhere else still going strong.

3. It was nice traveling then not having all the towns overran with tourists .

Well I appreciate the replies. I would jump on this itinerary if offered in September or early October - but it’s not....one thought I had was since it’s a year+ out I can watch what the temperatures/precipitation do this year - knowing full well it offers no guarantee of next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were in Venice at the start of nov last year. One thing I would strongly suggest is a REAL sturdy umbrella. It was rainy and windy 2 out of the 3 days we were there, water blowing up from canals onto walkways, and flooding in some places. I never so so many (cheap) discarded, tossed, broken umbrellas in my life!!!

We were in Venice at the start of nov last year. One thing I would strongly suggest is a REAL sturdy umbrella. It was rainy and windy 2 out of the 3 days we were there, water blowing up from canals onto walkways, and flooding in some places. I never so so many (cheap) discarded, tossed, broken umbrellas in my life!!!

Well that is quite the visual! We got caught a few years in s torrential downpour in New Orleans as we walked (and then ran) to dinner one evening. We were the grateful benefactors of someone else’s discarded umbrella that night as well. It was actually kind of romantic.....now 2 or 3 days of it and windy.....that I’m not so sure about!

One noticeable change from a few years ago that I'm picking up on these boards is a pretty universal downgrading of the "R" ships so I haven't really looked at them, at least yet.

I'm somewhat eclectic in that my list of potential cruises ranges from the above to the YC on MSC Seaview, NCL and possibly Azamara or RCI. I'm also drawn to Viking OC, but they really don't have much in the time frame we are looking at. But, as I said, this cruise is my first choice.

If you have ruled out the "R" ships then you need to cross off Azamara too, as they sail nothing but "R" ships.

Greetings from South Beach, Cruiseintoheaven. DH and I have spent months in Venice. October-November weather is what it is. How it will be for you has yet to happen. There are websites and aaps with lots of info about the past. One is WeatherUnderground.com. For an up to the minute, literally, look at what's happening, I like myradar. Sometimes rain in Venice has a bright side. Avid fans of Florian's, we had never been inside. Once we decided to go there in the rain and sit inside. It was wonderful, but not enough to get us there in dry weather. Have a great cruise!

Mary

Edited by warburg
spelling

If you have ruled out the "R" ships then you need to cross off Azamara too, as they sail nothing but "R" ships.

Not sure yet. My aversion to the Oceania R ships at this point isn’t based on size, rather the collective opinion of those familiar with them on the boards who know something I clearly don’t. As of yet I’m completely unfamiliar with Azamara - a girl can only spend so many hours a day researching!! [emoji6]

Hello everyone,

A few years back I found the folks on these boards very helpful as I was planning our first European cruise aboard the Riviera. Alas, a whole lot of life got in the way and our plans never set sail.

So I'm back again and have spent an incredible amount of time researching and reading about different lines and itineraries. Our time frame for this trip is Sept-Oct. of 2019. Though my husband has a generous amount of vacation time, he also has a high degree of responsibility at work and is not comfortable being gone for more than two weeks (give or take) including travel time for any one vacation. This definitely makes planning a bit tricky.

Probably at the top of my list is the Marina's "Majestic Vistas Cruise" on October 28-Nov. 4. Itinerary: Venice, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Valetta, Sicily/Messina, Naples, Rome.

What I like about this cruise is that the dates fall Monday to Monday. We could fly out the previous Friday and at least have a few days in Venice, and enjoy what I hear is a beautiful sail away. We also would have a few days post cruise to spend in Rome before flying home and decompressing. I like the hours in port and that it appears the ship docks in all ports. I've consistently heard overall good reviews for the "O" ships, and the Country Club Casual style is more to our liking. We have done our share of "formal nights" over the years and.....yeah.

What concerns me is the time of year in terms of weather, and also whether or not certain ports or sites are starting to "shutter" for the winter months. I have done enough web research to know average temperatures and for every review I read that says the weather was fine during that time, I can find another to say it was drizzly, overcast, chilly, etc. Honestly, a brisk sunny day where I can wear jeans and a sweater is perfect to me - we are from upstate NY so part polar bear:-)….not so crazy about constant drizzle and lack of sun.

So, turning here to ask for opinions....knowing full well that no one can predict the weather. Would I be better off just settling on another line and or itinerary? One noticeable change from a few years ago that I'm picking up on these boards is a pretty universal downgrading of the "R" ships so I haven't really looked at them, at least yet.

Thanks for any all help!

You picked an excellent cruise, and excellent ship and an excellent time of year. Weather, from experience will be delightful Indian summer. Kids will be back in school, Ports will be less trafficked, days will be still long and enjoyable

IF YOU like choice, ambiance, delightful well mannered, well traveled ship mates, then O is for you MSC/RCI?NCL are all mass market ships with thousands more passengers ( 2 to 4 thousand more) and on board nickel and dime service much lower service ambiance and cuisine. Designed for the 25-40 yearold set O for the more mature 50+ group.

Viking is ultra modern Scandinavian ambiance which I find not attractive. You might. O has 8 different dining options, no extra charge , Viking 2. O ambiance is up scale European English/French.

Viking has included tours and liquor. O lets you choose what you want liquor packages, or do ship tours or your own tours. Cuisine on Viking is good but leans toward Scandinavian things, O leans toward French/and Fusion ( 4 dedicated places French, Italian, Steak/chop/Asian.) Many, myself included, think O has the best cuisine of any ship sailing and certainly far beyond the lines you considered.

In short I would go for that sept oct trip on Marina and go knowing that you picked the jewel of the lot.

I agree 100% with Hawaiidan. You have selected a great cruise! Go for it! For your future sailings, and possible onboard booking, please do not rule out the R-class ships on Oceania (Nautica, Regatta, Insignia, and Sirena). I have sailed on Nautica and Regatta many times and love them. I will be sailing on the Sirena for the first time next month. I prefer the R-class ships as they are smaller, more intimate, and they gave me a chance to really get to know passengers and crew, more than I could on the larger Marina. For example, we rarely had the same servers at any restaurant for meals on a 17-day Marina cruise last year. On R-ships we had the same servers over and over. We got to know them, their stories, and they got to know us. It is definitely true that the O ships have pluses not available on the R ships, namely Jacques specialty restaurant, larger suites, and culinary classes. But if I have a choice, I will pick the R-class ship with about 500 fewer passengers. I enjoy the intimate feel of the Nautica and Regatta. I recently sailed on the Azamara Journey this year, also an R-class ship. It was wonderful (although the food was not quite as good as on Oceania). There are pluses for each type of ship and we each have our favorites. Please do not exclude a future cruise on an R-ship because of some bad reviews. I suggest that you read the posts by Travelberlin on this forum entitled "Live from the Sirena (December 16th to Janury 20th)." Her descriptions of the ship and her cruise experience throughout her journey are beautiful. I am looking forward to my 28-day sailing on the Sirena!