First time cruiser on Music Cruise

wendie50

As someone who has been cruising wiht Sixthman since 2001 (been on almost every RockBoat), let me just echo what others have posted - you're in for an amazing time. Sixthman's customer service is top notch and they really care about their cruisers. Hope you have a blast - can't wait to see what you think.

I know the sixthman Caymo cruises are far more structured that the LRBC, where there are tickets given for some venues to control the number of people. I don't know how the Joe Bonamassa cruise will work in that regard. on LRBC folks just drift in and out of venues, it all works out.

Cayamo is (IIRC) currently the only Sixthman boat with assigned seating, because of the preferences of the clientele on that boat. In general, the cruises are General Admission until/unless other arrangements are necessary. The best advice I can give on a sixthman boat is go with the flow. Since this is the first boat for this cruise, they may still be working out preferences of the specific audience and bands. I doubt a blues cruise will be super high maintenance. ;)

And definitely, the worst part of a Sixthman boat is it ruins you for other trips.

• 3 weeks later...

Our flight gets in the day before the cruise and this is the first time we have sailed out of Miami. Can any of the cruise veterans recommend a reasonably priced hotel near the Fort Lauderdale airport or the port? Or even anything that wouldn't be much more than a $25 cab ride away from the port. I would very much like to get a room for under $150 if at all possible...

Thanks in advance!

Good luck with the hotel search. However, though we chose not to do so I have found many hotels have park/stay/shuttle package. WE have six in our group and are driving down on Sunday and have rented a house for 2 nights on the Miami River for a little of nothing compared to hotel costs.

• 9 months later...
I am a regular on the Legendary Rhythm and Blues cruise charter. It is privately run, so not part of sixthman.

You will find that it is very casual, wear what you want.

There may be a theme night or two for dressing up. Could be anything like Mardi Gras night or Pirate night. You will find out in advance.

I know the sixthman Caymo cruises are far more structured that the LRBC, where there are tickets given for some venues to control the number of people. I don't know how the Joe Bonamassa cruise will work in that regard. on LRBC folks just drift in and out of venues, it all works out.

There will be a few folks on board who are regular LRBC cruisers. They may help set the tone. A good party vibe!

LRBC is very laid back, lots of music, jam sessions until the wee hours of the morning. No dress code (the ask that clothes are worn in the dining rooms, shoes are a nice to have).

Since Keeping the blues alive is a new, short cruise, I guess you will see how it goes :)

I saw Joe Bonamassa recently, he put on a great show. A very talented guy. John Hiatt is hilarious on stage. I have seen him a few times alone, and with Lyle Lovett. Ana Popovic was on the last LRBC and brought her big band. Great stuff!

If anyone is up for a 7 day blues charter next January, check out the LRBC website for pre-booking info. There are a few folks who are doing the January LRBC and the Keeping the Blues alive cruise in February. It becomes habit forming ;)

I so need your advice. I am definitely not a cruise gal, but have regretted many times not having gone on the Lrbc due to the lineup, or having had great last minute cabin deals like this Oct where I missed the last concert of Alan Toussaint. I have a cabin offer for this January and have today to decide.

I know the music is amazing but not sure of the people, the cruise life, needing sleep, would you recommend it to someone who never wanted to go on a cruise but loves blues?

OMG...the LRBC is :eek:awesome:eek: and your fellow cruisers are incredible...my friend Emile Hall is the lead sax player and musical director for New Orleans legendary New Orleans Blue Queen Irma Thomas and he loves doing that cruise every year...you will be immersed in the music and the spirit of music fans all being on a cruise for one single reason (the music)

very, very, very different from a "normal" cruise (which is a good thing)...if you have the opportunity I urge you to do it

I so need your advice. I am definitely not a cruise gal, but have regretted many times not having gone on the Lrbc due to the lineup, or having had great last minute cabin deals like this Oct where I missed the last concert of Alan Toussaint. I have a cabin offer for this January and have today to decide.

I know the music is amazing but not sure of the people, the cruise life, needing sleep, would you recommend it to someone who never wanted to go on a cruise but loves blues?

Did you get the cabin? I hope so!

There is a fairly broad cross section of people. Some will only listen to acoustic blues, some just go to jam, others want to see absolutely everything! I was never a huge KWS fan, but after seeing him on a couple of cruises, I am a big fan now. He was awesome jamming. There are always a couple of surprises. Mr. Sipp was definitely in that category.

If you didn't get the cabin, keep your eyes open on the FB group. They get grabbed up pretty quick. If you are able to get on, just let me know. I will be happy to introduce you to lots of folks. We have a get together about 3pm on the first day by the lido pool.

Sheila from Ottawa

• 1 year later...

I have done the "Women of the Grammys" ( a group on an existing cruise) and the Sail Across the Sun (Charter, based on the band Train) Both were wonderful... both by Sixthman... I will do Sail Across the Son again... and think about other cruises ... I also will cruise traditional cruises..

A music cruise is a music festival at sea... it is wonderful and intimate..

Randy

• 2 months later...