How is the Wi-Fi on the Zaandam?

It may depend on the location of the ship, I don't know, but on my recent Panama Canal cruise I had no problems....used my iPad in my cabin all the time, connected easily and the speed was "fair". Emailing a picture took a while so I only did that once.

I was on the Zaandam in April/May 2016 for 18 days and had very few, if any, issues with the Wifi, that I recall. And we were at sea for 10 of those 18 days (five days to Hawaii and five days back).

Thanks Alberta! Did you try posting pictures to Facebook? How was that experience?

I was on the Zaandam last October-November, sailing from Santiago to Buenos Aires, around Cape Horn to the Falklands (not Antarctica). Other than one spotty area (and we were warned in advance that there may be weak connection--can't remember where), I was able to connect 99% of the time! I bought the package then did add minutes. I used my cell phone and kept the cell phone on airplane mode and only switched to wifi when I wanted to quickly check my email--kept the cost down. Your mom can also use the computers in the library and her account will be charged for whatever minutes she used. I have an app on my phone where I can see if my home furnace is running and what temp is set and can even lower and raise the heat (Honeywell), since I live in snow country, and I could check this app at Cape Horn and at the Falklands--so I had wifi! Hope your mom has a really fun time!

I was on the Zaandam last October-November, sailing from Santiago to Buenos Aires, around Cape Horn to the Falklands (not Antarctica). Other than one spotty area (and we were warned in advance that there may be weak connection--can't remember where), I was able to connect 99% of the time! I bought the package then did add minutes. I used my cell phone and kept the cell phone on airplane mode and only switched to wifi when I wanted to quickly check my email--kept the cost down. Your mom can also use the computers in the library and her account will be charged for whatever minutes she used. I have an app on my phone where I can see if my home furnace is running and what temp is set and can even lower and raise the heat (Honeywell), since I live in snow country, and I could check this app at Cape Horn and at the Falklands--so I had wifi! Hope your mom has a really fun time!

Thanks for the detailed write up Mtngirl2!

We have just done a 21 day cruise on the Zaandam. From Santiago to Buenos Aires. Our cruise did go down to Antarctica. We bought a 250 minute package. We had a small 'Surface' computer with us, and used it in our cabin down on 'Dolphin' deck. We had no problems at all, --- even in the Antarctic waters. BRILLIANT ! Just make sure that your Mum knows how to log on, and MOST importantly, how to log out again after she has down-loaded emails etc.

We have just done a 21 day cruise on the Zaandam. From Santiago to Buenos Aires. Our cruise did go down to Antarctica. We bought a 250 minute package. We had a small 'Surface' computer with us, and used it in our cabin down on 'Dolphin' deck. We had no problems at all, --- even in the Antarctic waters. BRILLIANT ! Just make sure that your Mum knows how to log on, and MOST importantly, how to log out again after she has down-loaded emails etc.

How much was the 250 minute package on your sailing? No problems uploading pictures?

Wow, that's a hugely important detail! I might put a sticker on her laptop to make sure that she remembers to log out each time.

Thank you, PatandJck!! :D

By all means if planning to upload photos get some kind of a photo resizer program/app. It makes a HUGE difference in transmission times and is more than adequate for internet purposes. The high resolution print pictures can wait until a person returns. Haven't been on the Zaandam recently but will board March 21.

On the Koningsdam I bought the 500 minute package for $175. I didn't save the price sheet but I THINK 250 minutes was about $100.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Koningsdam

The Zaandam's wifi generally worked well from our cabin, 6101 Verandah deck for two laptops and two cell phones, even in Antarctica in January 2017. The cabin is the most forward location on that deck, other than crew quarters. Upload speeds for higher resolution photos were slower but satisfactory. Resizing photos is a good idea. We bought the 1,000 minute package expecting slow internet speeds and found we didn't need all those minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We have never cruised and I am trying to understand the connectivity options on the Zaandam. We will be on the Dec 17 22 day cruise.

Do you have to pay just to access the Wifi or can you access the local wifi without the internet for phone to phone communications on the ship? Thinking about how we might contact each other even when not using the internet connection.

Is my understanding correct that cell service works with roaming charges even when not in port? Data or just voice and SMS?

Any recent update on performance since the 2018 refurb?

Thanks for any help.