Holy Grail Product- Swollen Feet

Briitini

So my feet always swell on the ship. I think it's due to drinking alcohol to be honest. However, I have recently been into essential oils for different things and I researched essential oil for inflammation and swelling. I found juniper berry oil and ordered it from Amazon. I pretty much used it the entire cruise 2x per day and my feet had ZERO swelling!!!! I mixed two drops 2x per day with some regular lotion and rubbed it into my feet, ankles and calves. I'd love for others to try this and see if it works or if it's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I bumped this old post because I need help. I’m going on my first cruise in over 8 years and the first since I developed peripheral neuropathy. My feet and legs are painful at the best of times and I have always had severe swelling in my feet and ankles-read cankles-on cruises, so I hate to think what will happen this time. I can’t dry brush as I can barely stand to touch my feet and lower legs. I’m far less active than I was in 2009. I have essential oils and have seen them work on a variety of problems. I have compression stockings, black cherry capsules, a prescription diuretic . Will elevating my feet on the hotel wall help (we’re going a day early) and then elevating them in bed on the ship, along with gentle upward massage of this lotion with my hands be enough?

I had such awful pain before and I don’t know if I can stand it now. My daughter’s skin once split open on her ankle.

My doctor knows all of this and I’m not at increased risk for a DVT UNLESS I don’t move around. I can do ankle flexing and circles and I have the famous inflatable footrest.

Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks,

Sheila

Edited by Sheila2
missing phrase

Sheila use that footrest (or a partially inflated beach ball) on the plane. A lot of times the swelling starts there. Good luck, I don’t dry brush but I do use arnica gel that helps

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some people suggest placing the life jacket underneath your mattress at the foot of the bed. Leave it for the whole cruise.

Experienced swelling for the first time last cruise. Did this and had no issues afterwards.

My swelling was related to, but not caused by alcohol. Sat on barstools too long with no support for my feet.

My husband and I both had swollen ankles on our last cruise and we do not drink. I think it is the desalinated water on ships, and also lots of salt in the food. I used one of the lifejacket cages as a footrest on our balcony last time, and it helped.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While I don't have neuropathy or pain, swollen ankles are a big problem for me. Next month I'm going to try drinking lots more water to help flush out the salt- and bottled just to see if it makes a difference compared to tap. I ask for extra pillows to prop under my feet at night. I do take a prescription diuretic as well but think I will increase the dose on the cruise because of the salty food. Ask your doctor about this option.

Only other recommendation is to take a stretch ace-like wrap with you which can work better than the just the compression stockings. I'll wrap my bad leg from foot to calf to give a little extra compression for an hour or two in the afternoon, trying to keep my legs elevated during this time. May not work for you because of the pain, but perhaps a bit of extra gentle compression may end up alleviating some discomfort.

Very frustrating because of limitation in shoes I can wear. And I do hate being self-conscious of my cankles. Does help a bit to know others struggle as well. Best of luck and I am appreciative of others sharing what works for them.

Thanks CarrieAP,

I will do everything you advise. FWIW my doctor said we’re breathing the salt, the water is fine and you can’t really avoid the food. Add heat and humidity and you have a recipe for swollen ankles. I agree, I hate not wearing pretty shoes. But when I read all the threads on this subject I realize we are definitely not alone. I’m not even sure I can get the compression socks on but I’m sure going to try,especially for the plane where it all starts. I don’t normally drink but if the pain is severe I may start!

Good luck on your cruise.

I do sometimes suffer from swollen ankles/feet while cruising as well (I do wear compression socks on the plane).

I found limiting ship's water and trying to drink bottled water did help quite a bit.....even tho the water is 'desalinated' - there is still more salt than usual and all the food is cooked in that water as well.

Good luck to everyone suffering with this and hoping you find a good solution! (I have already ordered a case of water to my cabin for my upcoming cruise - I always try to walk around with a bottle - and even take one to dinner if possible to avoid drinking the ship's water!)

Hi,

I bumped this old post because I need help. I’m going on my first cruise in over 8 years and the first since I developed peripheral neuropathy. My feet and legs are painful at the best of times and I have always had severe swelling in my feet and ankles-read cankles-on cruises, so I hate to think what will happen this time. I can’t dry brush as I can barely stand to touch my feet and lower legs. I’m far less active than I was in 2009. I have essential oils and have seen them work on a variety of problems. I have compression stockings, black cherry capsules, a prescription diuretic . Will elevating my feet on the hotel wall help (we’re going a day early) and then elevating them in bed on the ship, along with gentle upward massage of this lotion with my hands be enough?

I had such awful pain before and I don’t know if I can stand it now. My daughter’s skin once split open on her ankle.

My doctor knows all of this and I’m not at increased risk for a DVT UNLESS I don’t move around. I can do ankle flexing and circles and I have the famous inflatable footrest.

Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks,

Sheila

Try the oils as the poster suggested. They are amazing! My only suggest is to buy quality essential oils!