And the new ship will be called.......

lprp

"Encore" and "Ovation" aren't exactly nautical either, yet those were Seabourn's choices.

Maybe it’s just me, but just because Seabourn chose some boring names doesn’t mean Regent had to.

As posters have remarked, it’s just a name, but it’s also a missed opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I find the name awful, just awful (not that it finally matters)-- for all the reasons that others have spelled out. I also find the announcement on the Regent website totally unappealing and vulgar. Ye gads -- I thought I had trouble with the hoopla and extravagance of Explorer. Sheesh, even the drawing of the ship on the website is in gold. And the photos of gold, gold, and more gold. It's all about as far from our taste and style as a thing could be. But we're just two little people; no doubt Regent has done its marketing homework. Now if only measly Mariner and Voyager would become less expensive. (yeh, like ha.)

My thoughts exactly. With the other ships, it sounds like an adventure. With Splendor it'll sound like elitism.

Really, really bad name. Not that it'll prevent us from sailing on her. Maybe we'll either say that we're sailing on Regent and leave it there, or the Explorer II.

The latter, now that I think about (and probably suggested by many in the naming contest) would also handle how Regent will reconcile that the Explorer in the "most luxurious ship" afloat...until there is the Splendor.

Why shouldn't Regent have a name that sounds elitist? After all, it is a top luxury cruise line?

In my opinion, Explorer is still the "most luxurious cruise ship ever built". While our real Iives are not elitist, marble, gold, etc., why not vacation in the best of the best?

P.S. To whomever mentioned that Splendor does not speak to it being an "adventure" ship, that could be because she won't be. Silversea has many adventure type ships but the Splendor will be another ship of beauty, class and elegance. So far, Regent is not in competition with adventure type ships (although it was several years ago).

Why shouldn't Regent have a name that sounds elitist? After all, it is a top luxury cruise line?

In my opinion, Explorer is still the "most luxurious cruise ship ever built". While our real Iives are not elitist, marble, gold, etc., why not vacation in the best of the best?

P.S. To whomever mentioned that Splendor does not speak to it being an "adventure" ship, that could be because she won't be. Silversea has many adventure type ships but the Splendor will be another ship of beauty, class and elegance. So far, Regent is not in competition with adventure type ships (although it was several years ago).

I don’t think the use of the word “adventure” was intended to imply some sort of expedition vessel, rather, a fun journey of discovery, perhaps visiting exotic lands and people. And that can be a key and quite memorable element of any cruise.

I agree that “Splendor” does not convey that. For me, and of course this is all monumentally subjective, it conveys inactivity, lolling about enjoying opulent surroundings. Nothing wrong with that, of course...and no doubt the Splendor will have the same over the top decor as the Explorer. But acres and acres of marble and gold are not everyone’s idea of opulence.

That said, I still can’t wait to see it! :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Heartily disagree. For those who say "why not an elitist name?" -- I thought the last time I checked into this RSSC page there was a great deal of dicussion about the need to attract younger passengers. From what I read Millennials, GenXers and some Boomers, even, aren't very interested in elitism, much less formalities, fancy gold and crystal.

...From what I read Millennials, GenXers and some Boomers, even, aren't very interested in elitism, much less formalities, fancy gold and crystal.

Good. More options for me.

But I can say with 100% certainty that what I considered 'luxury' in my 20s is vastly different than what I consider 'luxury' in my mid 50s. And I'm quite comfortable surrounded by fancy gold and crystal, thank you very much. :D

Good. More options for me.

But I can say with 100% certainty that what I considered 'luxury' in my 20s is vastly different than what I consider 'luxury' in my mid 50s. And I'm quite comfortable surrounded by fancy gold and crystal, thank you very much. :D

So true -- My first mark of luxury was the first vacation we took that didn't involve visiting and staying with relatives to save money. We could afford hotel and/or B&B rooms!!!

In keeping with the themes of the other ships in the fleet, Mariner, Explorer, Navigator and Voyager, I think "Journeyer" would have worked. My two cents.

My vote was for 'Sojourner' - I felt that kept with the 'travel' theme better than 'Splendor'. But hey, it's not my boat so I got no say-so on names...

As long as they fix the few odd issues with Explorer I'm sure it'll be a spectacular ship regardless of what it's called.

So now we can start guessing how the marketing department is going to play this one - will Splendor be "More Luxurious than the Most Luxurious Ship Ever Built"? Or "The NEW Most Luxurious Ship Ever Built"? Or maybe "Every Bit As Luxurious As The Most Luxurious Ship Ever Built But Just a Different Type of Luxurious"?

Have at it, marketing mavens!

My vote was for 'Sojourner' - I felt that kept with the 'travel' theme better than 'Splendor'. But hey, it's not my boat so I got no say-so on names...

As long as they fix the few odd issues with Explorer I'm sure it'll be a spectacular ship regardless of what it's called.

I like "Sojourner". I agree that they should have maintained the travel theme. I suppose the next new ship after Splendor will be "Magnifico"?

I like "Sojourner". I agree that they should have maintained the travel theme. I suppose the next new ship after Splendor will be "Magnifico"?

Doesn't end in "er" or "or". Maybe 'Magnificor'? Or 'SuperDuper'? Or 'By-Tor'...but you could only use that one in the polar regions, I guess.

According to vessel tracker.com there are nearly 30 vessels with the name Splendor. Perhaps Regent Seven Seas Duplicator would be a more apt name?

http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/SearchResults.html?search=splendor+&section=Vessels&showPortArchive=true

Too funny!!! Like others have said -- As I'm out to see the world in luxury, I was looking for a more active, non-duplicative name (Traveler). Splendor brings up visions of laying around on couches and eating grapes. And like others have said -- perhaps the image of luxury Regent is going for.

Seems the name of the new ship has at least managed to do something amazing.....

........unite the views of this CC board 😉

For what it's worth my suggestion was "Mercator":

Mercator (mər-kā'tər)

Flemish cartographer who in 1568 developed theMercator projection. In 1585 he began work on a bookof maps of Europe, a project that was later completed by his son and published in 1595. As a result of the drawing of the Greek titan Atlas carrying the globe onhis shoulders on the book's cover, the term "atlas"was subsequently applied to any book of maps.

Seems the name of the new ship has at least managed to do something amazing.....

........unite the views of this CC board 😉

For what it's worth my suggestion was "Mercator":

Mercator (mər-kā'tər)

Flemish cartographer who in 1568 developed theMercator projection. In 1585 he began work on a bookof maps of Europe, a project that was later completed by his son and published in 1595. As a result of the drawing of the Greek titan Atlas carrying the globe onhis shoulders on the book's cover, the term "atlas"was subsequently applied to any book of maps.

I always learn something new on CC! Thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add my disappointment at the name chosen by NCLH/Regent for their next ship :(

It just seems so inappropriate:

• The name does not gel with the nautical/travel theme of the other ships in the Regent fleet
  • It has an off-putting sense of glitz and excess
  • For some countries the spelling is incorrect
  • It is reminiscent of the sugar substitute "Splenda"
  • The name duplicates that of a Carnival* ship

I wonder how many Regent customers voted for "Seven Seas Splendor"? ......... or did the company CEO just state his preference for the name, with no one else in Miami having the courage to point out how ill-suited it is.

I can only hope that the design of the new ship retains the good bits of Explorer, corrects the Explorer design fails and reflects feedback from guests and crew. If this is achieved I look forward to sailing on her ............. despite the name :)

* The existing ships of the Regent fleet all duplicate RCCL names. RCCL used to have a ship with the name "Splendour" (spelt correctly), but ditched the ship in 2016