Koningsdam cabin assignment VH to VQ

EdwinE67

Last night I got my cabin assigned, we have booked for a 21 days Koningsdam Caribbean cruise (Oct. 29th) with a VH obstructed guarantee cabin and got the VQ 10051.

is this a fair upgrade or should i be disappointed?

These are very forward cabins and the balconies are rather small. Your view, however, will be excellent with no obstruction. This high and this forward will tend to be a bit more rocky ride "the motion of the ocean" lol. Only one deck down to Lido, which is nice. Enjoy your upgrade and your cruise. Spent 2 weeks on KDam and loved it!

I have stayed in 10034 on the Koningsdam and LOVED the location! You go right out the door to the NY Deli for a delicious breakfast each morning. I didn't notice any increased motion, but motion doesn't bother me. Friends next door loved the location as well. The balcony was a normal size. On the ships where cabins have been added on the top deck, the balconies are smaller, but on the new ships like the K, these cabins are part of the original design, and the size of the cabin and the balcony is standard. I think you will love your upgrade. When I was assigned the VQ cabin, I was also worried. I have booked the Koningsdam for October 2018 and chose for myself the same cabin, so I must have loved it enough to book it again. Enjoy every minute!!!!

PS I didn't know it while I was on the K, but I loved the K and after returning home and thinking about everything and looking for a ship to book another cruise, I kept thinking about things on the K that I just loved, and it has become one of my favorite ships.

This is a good example of the issue with "guarantees". In HAL's view, it is a huge upgrade for you. Most people likely would agree, but some people would dislike this location.

I really try to book my exact cabin and mark it "do not upgrade". I may miss out on a potential better cabin for free, but I would rather have this than be upgraded to a cabin I do not like.

These are very forward cabins and the balconies are rather small. Your view, however, will be excellent with no obstruction. This high and this forward will tend to be a bit more rocky ride "the motion of the ocean" lol. Only one deck down to Lido, which is nice. Enjoy your upgrade and your cruise. Spent 2 weeks on KDam and loved it!

Thanks for your comments and i am sure going to enjoy my cruise.

We were upgraded to a VQ last year, I think it was something like 10035. I did think that ones closer to the front of the ship would have an obstructed view to the water directly below because of the bridge being there, but the outward views are great! I do think the verandahs might be smaller then the ones below, but they were big enough for 2 chairs and an ottoman (with the chair turned a bit to the side). We liked the room and location on the 10th level. Didn't feel much motion. I have some pictures of our room here:

http://crusanwithsusan.blogspot.com/2016/10/holland-americas-koningsdam-ship-class.html

Last night I got my cabin assigned, we have booked for a 21 days Koningsdam Caribbean cruise (Oct. 29th) with a VH obstructed guarantee cabin and got the VQ 10051.

Is it a fair upgrade? Ummm....you booked a guarantee and they assigned a cabin that was a higher category. Some may not like the cabin location or size but that is the risk you take when you book what you did....so yes it is fair. Next time if u want something specific, book it.

We were upgraded to a VQ last year, I think it was something like 10035. I did think that ones closer to the front of the ship would have an obstructed view to the water directly below because of the bridge being there, but the outward views are great! I do think the verandahs might be smaller then the ones below, but they were big enough for 2 chairs and an ottoman (with the chair turned a bit to the side). We liked the room and location on the 10th level. Didn't feel much motion. I have some pictures of our room here:

http://crusanwithsusan.blogspot.com/2016/10/holland-americas-koningsdam-ship-class.html

Thank you for the pictures of the K. This is the most comprehensive set I have seen to date and they brought back memories of our cruise on her in Europe. There are many new features which you hi-lited along with the many familiar spaces on an HAL ship. We also enjoy the small ships, but the K is special in her own way.

We have a VH guarantee booked for the November 29 sailing....I would love such an upgrade

Check the pricing... I just went on today and was in a VH and a VC was on sale for less than I paid for the VH so they let me choose a new room and moved me with no cost

Just a note of caution on this location. Please search this forum for 10054, and read what Mtn2Sea posted on May 1st of this year about that VQ cabin. (We were in 10033 last January, and did not have any noise issues.) I hope all turns out fine with your cabin and wish you a wonderful 3 weeks on the Koningsdam.

Check the pricing... I just went on today and was in a VH and a VC was on sale for less than I paid for the VH so they let me choose a new room and moved me with no cost

We did call and they offered us a VC, but we would loose our on bourd credit. It's not big, but I felt like that was charging us yet more.

Hello Susan,

Outstanding pics and descriptions! This is the best "tour" of the K'dam I have seen. We have sailed her once and will be leaving on a 21 day in two weeks.

I see that you are from Buford, GA. We are almost neighbors! We are Lawrenceville, just past I-85 off of Buford Drive near the Gwinnett Braves stadium. Who knows, maybe we'll get to cruise together sometime.:cool:

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Your pictures are amazing...lots of details. We got our assignment today. We got 10054. I've read some posts about noise from the outdoor TV. Did you experience this, or hear of others near that did?

I am quite excited for this upgrade.

Your pictures are amazing...lots of details. We got our assignment today. We got 10054. I've read some posts about noise from the outdoor TV. Did you experience this, or hear of others near that did?

I am quite excited for this upgrade.

From our room nearer the elevators, we didn't hear any noise other then from our neighbors on occassion. We were originally assigned a room in the 10050's, but I actually called and asked if we could have one of the ones nearer the elevator and they changed it with no charge. I would love to stay there again.

Hello Susan,

Outstanding pics and descriptions! This is the best "tour" of the K'dam I have seen. We have sailed her once and will be leaving on a 21 day in two weeks.

I see that you are from Buford, GA. We are almost neighbors! We are Lawrenceville, just past I-85 off of Buford Drive near the Gwinnett Braves stadium. Who knows, maybe we'll get to cruise together sometime.:cool:

Jim

Wow, we actually live on Mall of Georgia blvd close to I-85 on the WEst side of it. Looks like we'll be cruising shortly after you.